The Gas Chamber

WanderingMonster

First Post
The following is based on a true story. The names have been changed to protect, well, me.

So I'm the new guy in a game. So far in each of the few sessions I've played, one of the other players--let's call him "Connor"--has farted. :uhoh: These farts are like an hourly chime. Some are mere noise, and others are more multi-sensory. :confused: I would be able to cope with the occasional accidental eructation or flatulence, but this seems to be less an uncontrollable action and more of an unapologetic one. And to seal the deal, Connor lifts his butt in my direction! Now, I'm not the host, nor the DM, and to boot, one other person in the room is related to Connor. So, since I know the answer is, "you have to talk to Connor", the question I really want help with is how do I bring this up in a socially sensitive way?

Steps I've taken so far:

1) talked with the DM
2) will sit somewhere else next session

All right buddies, let 'em fly.

dontpunkme

First Post
3 Words: Shock and Awe. Personally, I'd make it a point to out-fart him. I'd load up on chili, doritors (cool ranch coes wonders), drink a little five-alive. Cabbage always works here. Then I'd just sit and wait with answer-backs. The moment he lets out the first one immediately stand up, yell "return fire" and let one loose in his direction. I've also noticed using the post-flatus scoop works wonders to quell opposition. I admit its rather unladylike, but it'll get him to stop. That or you might all need to relocate to the outdoors.

But in all seriousness (is anybody even still reading my response at this point?) after the first couple of times, a hearty "DUDE!" should've alerted your fragrant fellow to your displeasure. You can only rect(must fight urge to write "um")ify by talking to the other player. You can do it several ways: directly, comically, hostile. The latter likely won't get you anywhere. Personally, I'd use comedy and call him out in front of the group first and if that didn't fix it talk to him aside from the other players.

Shemeska

Adventurer
"Dude! We're about to make you wear a cork!" Worked wonders when one of my players said that to an ex-player in the middle of a game.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Really, there is no need to be "sensitive" when discussing your dislike of being in the crossfire of- or deliberately targeted by- multiple bilabial fricatives of measurable decible levels and of questionable toxicity.

IME, the acceptibility of this kind of thing varies from group to group and even from evening to evening.

My current group has been known to vary from utter silence to sounding like a Tuba school for the Deaf...and the smells occasionally have us looking like jihadists on a mission as heads dissapear under layers of filtering clothing.

And yes, sometimes it is deliberate. Several times, the "I drank a pitcher of beer with my onion-filled bean chili & cabbage dinner, so be warned" gauntlet has been thrown and answered the following session.

My suggestion- if you can't get them to change, and you don't want to change groups, bring your own armament. If you can't launch your own air biscuits, you might find that a strong floral room deoderizer spray fired at the offending backsides will result in a more tolerable environment...or a mutually sickening "poo-flower" smell that will convince them of the folly of their policy of Mutually Ass-ured Destruction.

At least you'll be taking action in your defense!

shilsen

Adventurer
Grab your throat, scream, "Aaah! Failed save vs. Stinking Cloud!" and collapse on the ground.

That may give him a hint ;)

Remove ads