• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Glimmering - NFT Heroes in a Blockchain Campaign?

Laurefindel

Legend
Darn, at first I honestly thought this thread was about a new campaign setting (The Glimmering) where you play a heroic NFT fighting its way out of a a blockchain or something. And I was thinking « damn, that’s a pretty ballsy proposition but I’m intrigued! »

Imagine my disappointment …

Vaalingrade

Legend
If ever. Making everybody's medical history public is the stuff of nightmares. There is no actual use for a blockchain that you wouldn't do better with a newer distributed ledger technology, like Tangle or HAshgraph (sadly currently under patent)
The true power of the blockchain has already been realized: a comprehensive, real-time tracker of scammers, scam victims and aspiring scam victims who think they're scammers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And because it's decentralized, you don't rely on one company managing a server for the living world, which might vanish if the company goes out of business or just decides to pull the plug one day.

This is the only thing I've seen mentioned so far that can't be done better with more traditional technology.

Mind you, you can decentralize it with traditional technology as well, but cheating becomes a slightly harder problem to solve.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Darn, at first I honestly thought this thread was about a new campaign setting (The Glimmering) where you play a heroic NFT fighting its way out of a a blockchain or something. And I was thinking « damn, that’s a pretty ballsy proposition but I’m intrigued! »

Imagine my disappointment …
kinda reminds me of the third season of ReBoot when Enzo and AIdria had to try and fight their way out of the Web so they could get backhome to Mainframe. Updating that could be fun

Retreater

Legend
NO thank you!

One thing I'll say though is I haven't heard a word about them here at the con. I haven't even seen any posters or graphics or shirts or.... nothing.
You're joking, right?
They have an immense photo booth outside the club, branded lanyards on every single badge, hosting games and seminars. But it's all very secretive. I was having a drink and a smoke with the lead designer (I'd say a guy who is extremely well respected in the game industry.) I looked up the project after the interaction, and it was concerning.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You're joking, right?
I was having a drink and a smoke with the lead designer (I'd say a guy who is extremely well respected in the game industry.) I looked up the project after the interaction, and it was concerning.
I don't see anyone of that stature listed on the website. Am I missing something, or is there some reason they're not on there?

darjr

I crit!
You're joking, right?
They have an immense photo booth outside the club, branded lanyards on every single badge, hosting games and seminars. But it's all very secretive. I was having a drink and a smoke with the lead designer (I'd say a guy who is extremely well respected in the game industry.) I looked up the project after the interaction, and it was concerning.
I dint hang out in the lounge and I bring my own lanyard and haven’t looked at anybody else.

I just asked a bunch people and they had no idea what was on their lanyard. They had to look.

I dint see them in the hallways or gaming tables or the vendor room.

Still it’s yuck. Glad I didn’t take a lanyard.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I don't see anyone of that stature listed on the website. Am I missing something, or is there some reason they're not on there?
You are missing something. Stephen Radney-McFarland is many things -- but a grifter is not one of them. He is at Gary Con running The Glimmering this weekend.

Just because I like and respect SRM doesn't mean I much like the business model at the core of The Glimmering. But some of the people involved in it are entirely respectable designers.

1679723181865.png

You are missing something. Stephen Radney-McFarland is many things -- but a grifter is not one of them. He is at Gary Con running The Glimmering this weekend.

Just because I like and respect SRM doesn't mean I much like the business model at the core of The Glimmering. But some of the people involved in it are entirely respectable designers.

View attachment 279708
It's pretty standard in a con to recruit respectable "faces". They are just as much victims as anyone else, paying with their reputations.

Remove ads