• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Golden Age of D&D and its Art...

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I would have to argue that the Golden Age of D&D is now.
That is based upon the idea that Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life. The Past is past, and the future is Far Away.

And remember, it's all still there (even if few people use it.) All the OD&D products, the 1st edition products, the 2nd edition products, the 3.0 products, are still there. Best of all, we have the internet, and they are putting them there for downloading (either for free, or for pay, but there they are.)
The greatest cumulation of D&D products and knowledge in history, the greatest wealth of material available, is in the here and now.

So I say:

Let the games begin.

Edena_of_Neith

tetsujin28

First Post
Akrasia said:
Nobody depicts the Cthulhu mythos better than Otus.
Word.

Oh, and does it surprise anyone that my brother and I always used to refer to weed as 'Otus'? "Dude...don't bogart the Otus!"

tetsujin28

First Post
rogueattorney said:
I liked Fabian quite a bit. He's probably my favorite of the post-1982 artists.

I like Otus. A lot. He's not a reallist, and I don't know why anyone expects realism from a fantasy artist. His perspectives are wierd, his figures are stylized, and his lighting is coming from all sorts of odd angles. It's gorgeous - like a psychedelic hieroglyphic. It certainly screams fantasy to me quite a bit more than either the "realistic" 80's hair models from Elmore and Caldwells or the dungeon-punk of the 2000's.

R.A.
Otus seems to have been heavily influenced by the guy who did the covers for the original 'unofficial' editions of Lord of the Rings in the U.S. I took a look at my friend's copy of The Return of the King:
sA-006.jpg

Notice any similarities?

rogueattorney

Adventurer
tetsujin28 said:
Otus seems to have been heavily influenced by the guy who did the covers for the original 'unofficial' editions of Lord of the Rings in the U.S. I took a look at my friend's copy of The Return of the King:

Notice any similarities?

Yup. I think the big influence is the covers of the pulp magazine Wierd Tales from the 20's and 30's, which in turn influenced the covers of the early fantasy novels. That Tolkien cover is a good example. Some of the early Moorcock Elric covers, too.

EDIT - a relevant site with some images: http://members.aol.com/weirdtale1/covers23-32.htm

R.A.

Last edited:

Remove ads