The Great Crusade

muggie2

First Post
'If his intentions are just, then he has nothing to fear. But you cannot blame me for being sceptical, to say the least, after his claims of being honorbound to the bearer of this amulet. This sacred item has only very recenty been revealed to me by blessing of our patron-saint himself! So it's easy to understand that I find his words very doubtful. By the looks of it, I reckon he was thinking more of a quick scam. I'm just pointing out the potential danger of following that erronous path.

Slyth quickly thinks over the words of the knight. The amulet was revealed, not given to him by the elders. Okay, that opens up opportunities. The knight seems oh-so-devout, and therefore, potentially, oh-so-gullible. But he would also be the best way into the pilgrimage, so scamming him would be just plain stupid. No, let him be the entry point, Slyth and Aridha can look after him well, make sure that everything goes smoothly for him, and from that position of security, they can start causing problems to the rest of the group.

Slyth bows to Aridha.
"My apologies, sister. I had no wish to cause problems."
He turns to the knight.
"I was not aware that you had not been informed about the amulet, its purpose, and what it signified. Please, sit, and I will tell you what I can. I am afraid I do not know everything, only what has been passed down to me."
"First, and most important, is what the amulet signifies. The time is coming for the Eye of the God-Emperor to rise. The common folk know it as the Red star. The time is coming. That is what the finding of the amulet signifies.
The amulet itself is a relic. I was informed by my elders that my overriding purpose was to serve the bearer of the amulet, if and when it surfaces. They did not tell me so, but it is entirely possible that they were so informed by their elders, and so on back for as long as the amulet is existed - I cannot swear to this, as I do not know, but it is entirely possible. All I know is that I am sworn to serve the bearer of the amulet to the best of my ability if and when the bearer shows themself."
He bows his head.
"I admit that it came as a shock to me to see the amulet. I tried to wrap up as much of my business in the city as possible as soon as I saw you walk into the cathedral with it, then came here to place myself at your service. Until the amulet surfaced, I have been doing services for the various noble houses in the city. Some have fallen on hard times, and needed to sell off certain pieces of family property for as much as they could get, discreetly, of course. Doing so openly would bring shame to their houses. I have been doing their bidding, for a percentage. Others have wanted to purchase in the market without being seen to do so - I have similarly helped them."

He stared straight at the knight.
"To these things I swear, for all are true. If you have a talent for discovering the truth, you know that what I have said is true."
He shook his head.
"You saw me as shady, and the truth is, my work is primarily done in the shadows, but it is to the benefit of those who have retained me, not to their detriment. Ever. And so it is that I place myself at your service. There may be things you need done, messages carried, information gained, and so on. I will do these things. Some of the houses plot against each other and will attempt to do things for their glory at the expense of one another. If you want to me to try to uncover such things, I will do so. As long as what you ask me is not illegal or immoral, and it is done in your service, and therefore in the service of the God-Emperor, I will do my best on your behalf. That is what it means to me to serve the bearer of the amulet. As is my sworn duty, so shall I do."

Corrossyph

First Post
Gabriel listens carefully to what Slyth says, but doesn't linger on it too long.

'Ah, well spoken, sir. I see you have a way with words but I suppose that is what you do best in your line of profession. There is truth in your words, that I can agree, but as one of our brethen once told, sometimes the best lies are covered in a layer of truth. However I hold no judgement, only the God-Emperor can do that. If you say your words are true, then I have no reason to doubt otherwise. Your actions will prove your words anyway.

The God-Emperor protects and provides in many ways. I'm sure your offer of assisting me can be put to His infinite wisdom and guidance and as such i'll gladly accept it. Your way of life, with personal gain and profit, dealing with politics and worldly causes, is hardly justifiable as a noteworthy goal in life. Perhaps I can assist you as well in finding the right path again.'

Gabriel shrugs, thinks a bit and then continues.

'I suspect not many people know yet that the Red Star is coming soon. The crusade is upon us and my mission concerns it. We do not have much time left to prepare and we better do it proper before the masses begin to stir.

But before we proceed, please indulge me, consider it a first token of your obedience to your oath. Since you do not strike me as a person that willingly lets all his profit-making schemes drop at the mere sight of a relic, there must be some sort of underlying motivation. What circomstances led to your decision of such an life-changing oath? Some extortion, some huge profit maybe, ...?'

Gabriel observes Slyth attentively in the hopes of getting some insight in his true motivation.

muggie2

First Post
But before we proceed, please indulge me, consider it a first token of your obedience to your oath. Since you do not strike me as a person that willingly lets all his profit-making schemes drop at the mere sight of a relic, there must be some sort of underlying motivation. What circomstances led to your decision of such an life-changing oath? Some extortion, some huge profit maybe, ...?'

Slyth looks him in the eyes, and speaks truly.
"As I said, the elders asked my to swear to obey the wearer of the amulet. That I did. They then told me that no service was expected of me until the bearer of the amulet was revealed. While waiting, I have been making money by assisting the noble families of the city without committing myself to the life service of any, and that way I was free to assist you when you arrived.
So, you see, my oath was done back in my youth. No extortion, no huge profits. Just my duty to my elders. No life-changing. My oath has been the foundation of my life."
He grins wryly.
"I had no idea that the amulet would be yours. I thought that it would have been my contacts with the nobility in this city that would lead to the bearer. Instead, it is you, who is not connected with the nobility here at all. I have been searching in the wrong places."

OOC: If you look at it, I did not lie once. I answered the questions, provided background, and was absolutely honest. A little misleading, but no lies.

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha stood quietly during the exchange, watching the two as warily as she might watch a pair of large dogs that were being newly introduced to one another...ready to intervene should things go sour but otherwise not interfering. Now though, she felt things were stable enough to join the procedings.

"We should not speak of such things openly," she said quietly. "I will finish the morning prayers here, then go to market. Meet me there in front of the hatmaker's shop. From there we'll find a private place to continue this conversation."

She lifted her own version of the amulet from under her habit for a moment before tucking it away, to show she was part of this as well.

Corrossyph

First Post
Gabriel is shocked at the sight of another amulet. It takes some control to suppress his urge to get another look at the amulet. All sorts of questions boil up in his head, but he manages... barely to remain calm.

'This is unexpected to say the least. The God-Emperor works in mysterious ways but as always He provides. I'm guessing you're right, sister. Although we should be safe in the house of the God-Emperor, it is probably better to discuss these events in more secluded environment, sooner better than later.'

He looks at Slyth.

'Can you provide a private quarter to discuss this further? If so, let us meet at the proposed place and time. If you don't mind, I'd like to resume my meditation and reflect on these events'.

Gabriel returns to his trusted rituals, now more than ever a safeheaven to rely on in these troubling times.

Afterwards he will donate half of his money to the cathedral in support. After all, who needs money when the God-Emperor himself cares for His devout followers.

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha nodded at the knight, gave Slyth a quick, considering look, and returned to complete the devotions expected of her by her companion. Once in the market it would be easy to break off and do some shopping on her own.

The presence of the knight made her a bit concerned though. Would he be able to see the situation for what it was? Or would his faith blind him?

Regardless, her instructions were clear.

muggie2

First Post
'Can you provide a private quarter to discuss this further? If so, let us meet at the proposed place and time. If you don't mind, I'd like to resume my meditation and reflect on these events'.

Slyth ponders the question briefly. His hovel was out - the knight had already proven himself liable to make snap misjudgements (he'd actually been telling the truth, dammit!), and he'd be condemning himself by letting the knight anywhere near it. There were, however, a number of places which were technically church property that could be used without disturbing anyone, since nobody actually used them on a regular basis. Given the blindingly obvious and somewhat overwhelming piety of the knight, church property had the right feel about it for a meeting.

"I'll set it up, and meet you both here at or before the proposed time, then we can go there to discuss this further."

With this he nods to both, and departs to find an appropriate place.

Remove ads