The Grey Cloak Council Campaign Background Thread [RESTORED]

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Mavet, seeing the wisdom in that action, and being outnumbered by the group anyway says. "Nulb it is then, I've never met this Robhuud, surely he is an exceptional individual, lets contact him quickly and be on our way. After my little experience i'm itching to see how I perform, I feel great, but things like that have a tendency of changing people."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Osprey frowns at Jonwaine's suggestion: "We need to reach Nulb quickly, and preferably without alerting anyone to our presence. We won't accomplish that by tramping for miles with a herd of horses. Burne has given us free access to the Nulb teleportation circle. We should make use of it. It will put us in a discreet location just North of town."

Turning to Mavet, Osprey says: "One of us can go fetch him. Of course, it will cost us 100 gp. to use Burne's Greyhawk circle. Del Tan, why don't you go and retrieve Robhuud for us, and bring him back here?"

Del Tan nods in agreement. "No problem."

GM:
The party should deduct 100 gp. from the pooled treasure list. It takes Del Tan a total of 45 minutes to return to the inn with Robhuud.

Del Tan returns, with Robhuud in tow. "Here he is," Del Tan laughs, "and it looks as if he's been busy!" Del Tan introduces Robhuud to the rest of the party:

1 and 2. You already know Osprey and I, of course.

3. And of course, You and Jonwaine were friends before ever meeting up with Osprey and I.

4. This is Prince Derrith of Furyondy; you might remember finding his skeletal hand inside the bejeweled glove that you retrieved from the Chimera's stomach?

5. And this is Teedi, she's a Merfolk Warrior that we rescued from a Red Dragon. She's royalty; an honest to goodness princess!

6. This is Mavet Makkarov, a warrior from the Kingdom of Ket.

7. This is Trang Windborne, a monk from The Barony of The Five.

"There are eight of us, now that you've returned. If we could ever figure out where Wraithlo and Kiku disappeared to, the Grey Cloak Council would be 10 members strong!" Del Tan says, wistfully.

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Mavet stands and greets Robhuud warmly with a handshake. Given our our adventures of late, I can, without an ounce of hesitation, say that any friend of Del Tan and Osprey is a friend of mine. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Rob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Robhuud the Quick

Robhuud greets his mates and the relative newcomers to the GCC. "Well Met, my good fellows, and lady, of course (referring to Teedi)!! Your summoning me came at the right time. I went on a month-long marathon preparing spell scrolls, and I acquired a magical haversack to hold them all! I am ready to go! What did I miss, my friends? Don't mistake my enthusiasm; I was most pleased, excited, and fortunate to work among our benefactors' resources. But it was time to venture back out. Adventures await!!!"

Robhuud is genuinely pleased to meet Mavet, Trang and the others. He is most pleased to see his friends. He is well-rested, well-fed, well-resourced, and pleased to be among the others.

[sblock=Scroll List]
# of scrollsNameDescription
10Identify MDetermines properties of magic item.
8Detect MagicDetects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
8Read MagicRead scrolls and spellbooks.
4Daze MonsterLiving creature of 6 HD or less loses next action.
4Detect PoisonDetects poison in one creature or small object.
4LightObject shines like a torch.
4Ghost SoundFigment sounds.
4Disrupt UndeadDeals 1d6 damage to one undead.
4Launch ItemHurls Fine item up to Medium range.
4Mage Hand5-pound telekinesis.
4MendingMakes minor repairs on an object.
4MessageWhispered conversation at distance.
4StickGlues an object weighing 5 pounds or less to another object.
4Arcane MarkInscribes a personal rune (visible or invisible).
4AlarmWards an area for 2 hours/level.
4Dispel WardAs dispel magic, but affects only wards.
4Ectoplasmic ArmorGain armor bonus against incorporeal touch attacks.
4Endure ElementsExist comfortably in hot or cold environments.
4Hold PortalHolds door shut.
4IrongutsSubject gains +5 bonus on saving throws against poison.
4Protection from Evil+2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
4ShieldInvisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
4Buzzing BeeBee gives subject –10 penalty on Move Silently and hinders Concentration checks.
4Deep BreathYour lungs are filled with air.
4GreaseMakes 10-ft. square or one object slippery.
4Kelgore's Fire Bolt1d6 fire damage/level (max 5d6); if successful fire save, then 1d6 regular damage
4Mage ArmorGives subject +4 armor bonus.
4MountSummons riding horse for 2 hours/level.
4Obscuring MistFog surrounds you.
4Summon Monster ICalls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
4Summon Undead ISummons undead to fight for you.
4Unseen ServantInvisible force obeys your commands.
4Wall of SmokeWall of black smoke obscures vision and nauseates those who pass through.
4Appraising TouchGain +10 bonus on Appraise checks.
4Comprehend LanguagesYou understand all spoken and written languages.
4Detect Secret DoorsReveals hidden doors within 60 ft.
4Detect UndeadReveals undead within 60 ft.
4Instant LocksmithMake Disable Device or Open Lock check at +2 as free action.
4Master’s TouchYou gain proficiency in a weapon or shield touched for 1 minute/level.
4Sniper’s ShotNo range limit on next ranged sneak attack.
4Spontaneous SearchInstantly Search area as if having taken 10.
4True Strike+20 on your next attack roll.
4Charm PersonMakes one person your friend.
4DistractSubjects take –4 on Concentration, Listen, Search, and Spot.
4HypnotismFascinates 2d4 HD of creatures.
4InciteSubjects can’t ready actions or delay.
4InhibitSubject delays until next round.
4RouseAwakens creatures in area
4Shock and AweFlat-footed creatures get –10 on initiative.
4SleepPuts 4 HD of creatures into magical slumber.
4WhelmDeal 1d6 nonlethal damage +1d6/2 levels above 1st (max 5d6)
4Bigby's Tripping HandHand trips subject
4Luminous GazeYour eyes emit light, dazzle creatures.
4Magic Missile1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
4Persistent BladeBlade of force attacks subject, automatically flanks.
4Tenser’s Floating DiskCreates 3-ft.-diameter horizontal disk that holds 100 lb./level.
4Net of ShadowsOrdinary shadows that provide concealment to all in the area.
4Nystul’s Magic AuraAlters object’s magic aura.
4Silent ImageCreates minor illusion of your design.
4VentriloquismThrows voice for 1 min./level.
4Cause FearOne creature of 5 HD or less flees for 1d4 rounds.
4Accelerated MovementBalance, Climb, or Move Silently at normal speed with no penalty on skill check.
4Animate RopeMakes a rope move at your command.
4CheatCaster rerolls when determining the success of a game of chance.
4Ebon EyesSubject can see through magical darkness.
4Enlarge PersonHumanoid creature doubles in size.
4EraseMundane or magical writing vanishes.
4Expeditious RetreatYour speed increases by 30 ft.
4Feather FallObjects or creatures fall slowly.
4Mage Hand, GreaterAs mage hand, but medium range and up to 40 lb.
4NerveskitterSubject gains +5 bonus on initiative checks.
4Portal BeaconYou grant others knowledge of a magic portal’s location.
4Reduce PersonHumanoid creature halves in size.
4Remove ScentHides touched creature’s scent.
4ScattersprayGroup of small objects fl ies apart in a burst.
4SlideMove subject 5 feet.
2Arcane Lock MMagically locks a portal or chest.
2Dispelling TouchDispel one magical effect on touched subject
2Ectoplasmic FeedbackIncorporeal attackers take 1d6 damage + 1/level.
2Portal AlarmYou are alerted when a creature passes through a warded portal.
2Protection from ArrowsSubject immune to most ranged attacks.
2Dimension HopTeleport subject short distance
2Fog CloudFog obscures vision.
2GlitterdustBlinds creatures, outlines invisible creatures.
2Kelgore's Grave Mist1d6 cold damage/level, cause fatigue, partially ignores spell resistance
2Summon Monster IICalls extraplanar creature to fight for you.
2Summon SwarmSummons swarm of bats, rats, or spiders.
2WebFills 20-ft.-radius spread with sticky spiderwebs.
2Chain of EyesSee through other creatures’ eyes.
2Detect ThoughtsAllows “listening” to surface thoughts.
2Locate ObjectSenses direction toward object (specific or type).
2Marked ObjectYou gain bonus to track a specific being.
2Master's TouchSubject gains immediate +4 bonus on a skill check
2See InvisibilityReveals invisible creatures or objects.
2Entice GiftSubject gives caster what it’s holding.
2Continual Flame MMakes a permanent, heatless torch.
2Darkness20-ft. radius of supernatural shadow.
2Light of MercuriaYou radiate golden light, which you can expend as 2 bolts that deal 1d6 damage, 2d6 against undead and evil outsiders.
2Scorching RayRanged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, +1 ray/four levels (max 3).
2Seeking RayRay deals 4d6 electricity damage, ignores concealment and cover, you gain +4 on attacks with rays against subject
2BlurAttacks miss subject 20% of the time.
2Dark WayCreates temporary unbreakable bridge supporting up to 200 lb./level.
2Hypnotic PatternFascinates (2d4 + level) HD of creatures.
2InvisibilitySubject is invisible for 1 min./level or until it attacks.
2Mirror ImageCreates decoy duplicates of you (1d4 +1 per three levels, max 8).
2Phantasmal AssailantsNightmare creatures strike subject for 8 Wis damage, 8 Dex damage.
2Command UndeadUndead creature obeys your commands.
2Life Bolt1 ray/2 levels draws 1 hp from you to deal 1d12 damage to undead.
2ScarePanics creatures of less than 6 HD.
2Shroud of UndeathNegative energy shroud makes undead perceive you as undead.
2Alter SelfAssume form of a similar creature.
2Bull’s StrengthSubject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
2Cat’s GraceSubject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level.
2DarkvisionSee 60 ft. in total darkness.
2Eagle’s SplendorSubject gains +4 to Cha for 1 min./level.
2EarthbindSubject creature can’t fly.
2Ghost Touch ArmorArmor works normally against incorporeal attacks.
2KnockOpens locked or magically sealed door.
2LevitateSubject moves up and down at your direction.
2Rope TrickAs many as eight creatures hide in extradimensional space.
2Slide, GreaterMove subject 20 feet.
2Speak to AlliesSubjects can converse at distance without moving lips.
2Spider ClimbGrants ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
2Whispering WindSends a short message 1 mile/level.
1Stay the HandChange subject creature's attitude to helpful for 1 round
1Reflective DisguiseViewers see you as their own species and gender.
1SwimSubject gains swim speed, +8 bonus on Swim checks.
[/sblock]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
MY VERSION of the Shield Spell.

GM: A quick note on MY VERSION of the Shield spell...

Shield-Spell-001.jpg

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Kleborn Comes To Town.

Kleborn, you left Verbobonc at dawn, yesterday, Patchwall 21, CY 963; dawn was at approximately 5:15 am. After hearing the rumors of evil cultists having taken over Hommlet, you decided that the sleepy little village held the best prospect for adventure. You doubt such a scenario, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And after all, the abandoned temple is nearby, and you've also heard reports of Hobgoblins in the area. You figure that something fun must be going on there.

You didn't push your horse; you stopped for the night while you were still 10 miles outside of town. The night was uneventful, and you woke this morning about 8:00 am, and rode on into town at a casual pace.

It's about 10:00 am, Patchwall 22nd, and as your horse slowly ambles into town, heading south along the North Road, you notice that a gallows is being built. A short distance away is a sign, which reads:

"Welcome to the Village of Hommlet."

Your first thought is for food; according to a sign, there are two likely places: a tavern called "Terrigan's" which is apparently somewhere to your right, and an inn called "The Inn of the Welcome Wench," which the sign says is further forward, across the bridge.

You decide to check Terrigan's first; You notice, stumbling out of the front door of Terrigan's, a man who is obviously drunk, walking toward the horse trough, apparently with the intention of dunking his head in it. The man is clad in dirty, dented half-plate, and carries several weapons on his person, most notably a warhammer and bow, which both adorn his back, and a longsword, which hangs from his waist. Before he can reach the trough, however, he stops, retches his guts out into the middle of the street, stumbles 3 more steps, and falls face-first into the dirt by the side of the road, passed out. The thought occurs to you that with such clientele being allowed at Terrigan's, perhaps the Welcome Wench would be the better choice.

[Kleborn: What do you do?]

Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn "Terrigan's does not look it has the type of fun I am searching for at this moment. I shall go to The Inn of the Welcome Wench, perhaps there is a better adventure awaiting me there."

GM:

Ok, what you have done is stated that you're going there. But your character hasn't done anything yet. So, you should add an intended action to your post, like so:

Kleborn guides his horse casually across the bridge, and down the road to the Inn of the Welcome Wench. Seeing no drunks hanging about, he tethers his horse and walks inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Kleborn's Grand Entrance

GM: Since I know that you're away at a conference, and might not have time to post, I am going to NPC your character just this once, in order to facilitate introductions.

Kleborn casually guides his horse across the small bridge, which leads to the Southern half of the town. He turns Southwest as he follows the road, finally arriving at the Inn of the Welcome Wench. Seeing no drunks hanging about, he tethers his horse and walks inside.

GM: You passed several buildings on the way into town. This map shows your route. The legend below indicates what the buildings are.

01. Temple of Ehlonna
02. Temple of Pelor
03. Church of Saint Cuthbert
04. Inn of the Welcome Wench
05. Terrigan's Tavern
06. Trading Post
07. Weaver
08. Tailor
16. Old Town Hall
22. Potter

Kleborns Path 001.jpg

As Kleborn enters the common room, he sees that it is a lively place, for such a sleepy little town. There are at least 6 customers milling about the place, along with a group of 8 more people, whom have gathered around a single table, and whom have the look of adventurers about them. All of them are armored, with the exception of the Halfling; but there is not one of them who doesn't carry some visible weapon. All of them are wearing gray, wool cloaks on their backs. They are obviously preparing to leave, because they are fully outfitted, as if prepared to do battle at a moment's notice.

You see:

1. A tall Elf, with raven black hair, and icy blue eyes, wearing leather armor, and carrying a greatsword.

2. A tall Eryptian man, wearing shiny scale mail armor, carrying a huge, shiny shield, which is currently slung onto his back, and sporting a heavy mace, which hangs from his belt on the left side.

3. A tall, hooded man, who carries a bow and a longsword, and wears a shiny, chainmail shirt. He is built like a brick wall, and his exposed skin is a mottled greenish-grey; he is probably a Half-Orc.

4. A tall, red-haired, green-eyed woman, wearing a full, highly-ornamented, shiny chainmail gown, and holding a trident in her hand. She towers over everyone else here; she is well over 7 feet tall!

5. An average height man, carrying longsword, shield, and crossbow, wearing the shiniest armor of all: a set of regal, masterwork full plate, bearing both the symbol of Saint Cuthbert (on the shield) and the heraldry of the Royal House of Furyondy (on the breastplate.) He is also wearing an open-face steel helm, which looks to have a golden crown attached to the top of it! YOU RECOGNIZE THIS MAN! He is FAMOUS! This is PRINCE DERRITH OF FURYONDY!! SON OF THE PALADIN KING!

6. Another average height man, carrying a strange, curved sword of obviously foreign design. He has black hair, and light blue eyes, and he is wearing what looks to be Red Dragonscale Armor!

7. A bald Halfling, barely 3 feet tall, with a top-knot of brown hair, and cheerful brown eyes. His skin is golden tan, and he is (unlike most Halflings you've seen) in very good shape, sporting a very athletic build. He carries a single weapon, one that you are familiar with: a Jian, which is a light, thin, Nipponian blade used by Monks.

8. Lastly, you spy another tall Elf, wearing a wide-brimmed hat, and a shiny, chainmail shirt that is similar to the one that the Half-Orc is wearing; he has a shield slung across his back, and a nice-looking, basket-hilted rapier hangs at his waist on the left side. He has gray-tinted eyes, and dirty blonde hair, and his countenance is cheerful and welcoming, not at all the typical, stern-faced adventurer type. (Although you can't say the same for the first chap, the one with the greatsword; he looks WAY too serious and stern.)

GM: Continued below, from the party's point of view...

As the party is discussing their plans on where to go next, a tall, red-haired, blue-eyed man, wearing a shiny, chainmail shirt, carrying a large shield slung over his back, and wearing a longsword on his left hip, saunters into the room, a broad smile on his countenance, and an overall cheerful demeanor.

He is not shy about giving your party the once-over; he is obviously an adventurer himself, and is probably just checking out the "competition."

When he sees your group, he walks over and says, "Greetings, I am Kleborn. Some people call me "The Wolf." I'm an adventurer, like yourselves. I heard that evil cultists had taken over Hommlet, but THAT story is obviously exaggerated!" he laughs merrily. "Especially seeing how the prince himself has made an appearance; I am honored to be in your presence, my lord," he says with a polite bow. "Wild Rumors aside, I do hear more plausible news that there are Hobgoblins about the area. My guess is that they're holed-up in the abandoned temple. Do any of you fellows know anything about the validity of such a claim?"

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As Kleborn introduces himself, the tall Elf in leather steps forward, and shakes his hand. While this is happening, Kleborn notices the bald, Eryptian man peering intently at him.

[Round 1]

The tall elf says, "Greetings, Kleborn. I've actually heard of you. You're the fellow that helped the town guards in Mitrik hold off the Hill Giant attack last year, correct? I'm Osthelerin Hawke, but my friends call me Osprey. And yes, I'm the son of the famous adventurer, but I do my best not to let it go to my head."

[Rounds 2 & 3]

Prince Derrith acknowledges your compliment:"Greetings, Kleborn. I am flattered by your compliment, but there is no need to bow, nor to call me lord; I am only royalty in Furyondy, proper. In Veluna, I hold the station of High Provost, which is an honorary title, and as you probably know, grants me only slightly more authority here than the county Sheriff. I can arrest law-breakers, and I can offer legal counsel or advice to the Magistrate, or to any other agent of the king, or even to King Hartengal himself, should he request it. But I have no lordly rank, nor powers associated with such a position. I'm simply a visiting dignitary, with certain privileges granted to me by the treaty of alliance that exists between our two kingdoms. To gain an official title here, in Veluna, I'd need to marry the king's daughter." Derrith laughs merrily at his last comment.

[Round 4]

The tall, red-haired woman in chainmail armor introduces herself as well; "I'm Teedi, third daughter of King Arkell, of the Great Coral Kingdom in the Sea of Aerdi. I am a princess in title only, as my eldest sister, Mekati, holds the actual station of Crown Princess, along with the authority that the title entails. I left my home to pursue a higher destiny, after receiving an omen from the great Eadro himself. I am warrior-born, and my first duty is to stamp out oppression where I find it, and to defend the weak, especially against those who would rob them not only of their liberty, but of their lives. Evildoers do not dwell long within my sight, for they are soon greeted by the point of my trident!"

After all of this has transpired, the bald Eryptian man finally says: "I am Del Tan Rah, priest of Rah, the Lord of Light; I am his humble servant, and loyal soldier. I must confess that I have spent the last 30 seconds or so studying you, under the guidance of Rah's light; and that light has revealed to me that you are no evildoer, and bear us no ill will, and therefore, I welcome you as a friend."

GM:
Now that the NPCs have introduced themselves, and we have established that Kleborn is not a cultist, nor other bad guy, the rest of the PCs should go ahead and introduce themselves, so that we can welcome Kleborn into the group, and continue on with the story.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Mavet to Kleborn: Welcome Kleborn. I am Mavet Makarrov. I'm sure we will get to know each other quite well as the time passes. Welcome to our little band of warriors. It would appear that adventure and danger follow us. If you are looking for some fun you have come to the right place.

Remove ads