• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The heavy burden of money

Bonedagger

First Post
Their is one detail I always seems to forget when I DM. The weight of coins. I tried to look in the core books for the info once but I didn't find it. I can remember having heard something about coins of the old age being quit heavy compared with todays coins tough (Size and the mix of materials).

So what do you guys do. Ignore the weight of small amounts of coins or make something up?

(Actually I just wanted to hear if anybody had some weights for coins :D..... "Damn. You shouldn't have told them. Now the administrators will probably just move us." "Sorry. I just thought... hey. Are we still typing.... Ups!")

Lothar

First Post
110 of any type to one kilogram. (Officially 50 to the pound.)

Oops, messed up the conversion.

Last edited:

Bonedagger

First Post
Lothar said:
90 of any type to one kilogram. (Officially 50 to the pound.)
Thanks.

"Officially"? I'll have to look one more time then...

So far I have just gotten around the problem by giving out gems and jewels instead of large amounds of coins... That's also more practical:)

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
It was 10 coins per pound in 1E days, actually. People had damn big coins in those days.

The 3E rule on 50 coins per pound is in the PHB, p.96, "Coins".

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
Sure I've seen this thread before, at least I think it was on ENWorld..
I have a list of how much various containers will carry, I'll try and post it tonight...

Henry

Autoexreginated
hong said:
It was 10 coins per pound in 1E days, actually. People had damn big coins in those days.

It sounds like carrying a pocketful of iron cup coasters...

Even though it made conversions easier, it was a vastly screwed up weight determination. I never used it.

Besides, eventually the characters will hopefully get smart and will convert most of their funds to gems or jewelry, and always leave about 10 to 20% of their wealth in coinage of various denominations...

Storminator

First Post
Henry said:

Besides, eventually the characters will hopefully get smart and will convert most of their funds to gems or jewelry, and always leave about 10 to 20% of their wealth in coinage of various denominations...

I never let my PCs simply convert back and forth. Changing out gems requires finding a buyer, making appraise checks, diplomacy checks and (usually) getting fleeced on both ends. :)

Gems and jewelry are easy to carry, but the exchange rates aren't standardized.

PS

KnowTheToe

First Post
Storminator said:

I never let my PCs simply convert back and forth. Changing out gems requires finding a buyer, making appraise checks, diplomacy checks and (usually) getting fleeced on both ends. :)

Gems and jewelry are easy to carry, but the exchange rates aren't standardized.

PS

I also do this because it is a good way to rape wealth away from players. After all you have to convert it or you will need wagons to carry it. After all, no one should be richer than the DM :>)

Either way, wagons of gold or exchanging gems for cash and goods, it is a good way for characters to become nkown or targets in new cities. If someone exchanges a pouch full of gems for magic items, information and other goods, someone is going to notice.

Azure Trance

First Post
On an old 2E money download I have, a coin collector estimated that a gold piece should realistically weigh 240=1 pound. He based it on english silver pieces, of which 50 back then could buy the 'longsword.' Gold coins IIRC were tiny anyway. The Italians made tiny 24k ones that looked like the size of quarter or so.

Remove ads