• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The heavy burden of money

DWARF

First Post
Most merhcant guilds I run are totally willing to write out guild notes (basically paper money). But only allied guilds would accept the notes, so you have to be careful who you're doing business with.

hong

WotC's bitch
Azure Trance said:
On an old 2E money download I have, a coin collector estimated that a gold piece should realistically weigh 240=1 pound. He based it on english silver pieces, of which 50 back then could buy the 'longsword.' Gold coins IIRC were tiny anyway. The Italians made tiny 24k ones that looked like the size of quarter or so.

The thing is that fantasy notions of what constitutes "treasure" are influenced more by Tolkien's descriptions of Smaug's hoard (and similar sources), rather than historical accounts of medieval European treasuries. Lots of tiny little coins that are individually worth a great deal may be realistic, but it sure isn't as vivid or compelling as mountains of gold.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Storminator said:
Gems and jewelry are easy to carry, but the exchange rates aren't standardized.

PS
The practice does have historical precidence though.

It's the best way to store and save wealth and in a way you can 'aqrue interest' with jewelry if the value goes up over time. Which it will with well made pieces, pieces by renowned artists, or pieces which aquire historical signifigance.

My PCs always convert their money to gemstone or jewels.

Even if the conversion isn't full, it's worth it as a money management technique.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads