THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn spends a few seconds prepping himself, while he does not care too much about heights, it's the falling that he doesn't like. However, he is quite confident in Eagle Lathir's ability to carry him. A little excitement overtakes him, and he realized he is ready. "Ok, I am ready when you are, let's soar."

OOC: GM, can you role any necessary roles for me?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Kleborn rides the young Roc like he would a horse; even without a saddle, it feels quite natural to Kleborn. The bird is almost the exact same size as a horse, and since the bird is actually Lathir, it doesn't need any direction from spurring, thus, Kleborn is free to focus on staying balanced.

It is a simple thing for Lathir to match the height of the globe, and he is able to do "fly-by" movements past it, circling and circling, with ease. On each fly-by, Kleborn attempts to smash the globe with his shield.

GM:
When using shield as primary (instead of "off-hand") Kleborn's attack roll is +18 instead of +16. The Globe's AC is 5 (it is a stationary object.)

That means that Kleborn misses only on a Natural 1. (Hits 95% of the time.)

Average damage = 6 pts. with shield, which does NOT penetrate the Globe's toughness of 15.

On a critical hit (Natural 20) the max damage is 16, which is enough to cause 1 pt. of damage to the globe. This chance for this occurs on 1 fly-by out of every 20. And not every crit is going to be max damage. But assuming they all are max damage, it would still take (20 x 15) = 300 fly-bys to crit it enough times to destroy it. (i.e., 300 rounds, or 30 minutes.)

After a few fly-bys, you are forced to give it up. This globe has been enchanted to be incredibly tough. You are going to need a much stronger physical force, or perhaps a damaging magical spell, in order to destroy the globe.

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
"I have an idea" offers Xao, "dispelling it probably would only be a temporary effect, and damaging seems to be difficult with the present method. Perhaps a type of magic that is not heat related, such as lightning?" his fingers reach in his pouch and produces a small rod of glass and a bit of rabbit fur, "Mind if I try? I need to be withing 120 feet of it."

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Lightning_Bolt
Spellcraft+10; knowledge Arcane +5; Will this work?

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd
Looking to the twins I ask, "Lenny, Travis - do either of you have a frost breath effect?"

"I do," Travis responds.

Grinning knowingly, Lenny adds, "I get what you're thinking Dewydd. Travis, after I hit the orb with my fire breath, you quench it with your frost breath."

"That should hopefully cause the orb to become brittle, like when you water quench instead of oil quench a blade. Then I'm going to hit it as hard as I can. Hopefully it'll work," I finish explaining.

Lenny: 24 fire damage (DC 25 for 1/2)
Travis: 32 cold damage (DC 25 for 1/2)
Dewydd: 69, 128 (or 63 if no crit allowed), 71, 68 (Whirling Frenzy, Pounce, Shock Trooper, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Powerful Charge, Punishing Stance, & Battle Leader's Charge).

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
It's very possible. The globe is still made of glass; it's simply been given the tensile strength of Mithral. But it's still glass, and it can still melt.so here's the deal:

Roll damage
Globe gets a FORTITUDE save (same DC)
for half damage.

CORRECTION: It will take 30 pts. of damage to destroy (explode) the globe.

But, if the globe fails the save, it can be melted enough to stop functioning without being completely destroyed.

It then makes a second Fort save vs. DC 10 + damage taken. (like a Coup De Grace.) Failure indicates it has melted, which ruins the spell and ends all spell effects.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Ok, people, just to get everything all lined out:
Kleborn's shield bash attempts failed after 4 fly-bys.
Xao's Lightning Bolt is next.

Lathir flies Xao to within range of the spell; Xao unleashes his bolt of lightning, and it impacts the globe, creating a shower of sparks!

LBolt Damage.png

The spell is spectacular to witness, but the magical reinforcement of the globe holds fast, and it neither shatters nor melts.

GM:
The Globe has taken a total of 4 pts. damage so far.

Dewydd takes a fly-by, using his charging technique, and although the globe's protective shield absorbs a full 75% of the kinetic energy, there is still enough power to shatter the weakened orb!

GM:
Original damage from first blow: 69 pts. damage.
Minus hardness of 15 = 54;
Minus orb's protective shield: ("Kinetic Drain"): 13
Previous damage: 4 pts.
Orb has taken 17 pts. of damage. Orb only had 15 hit pts.
THE ORB HAS BEEN DESTROYED!

There is a bright blue explosion of light, and the desert environs are suddenly gone; you are now in a massive, half-globular, dome-shaped room, carved smooth from sandstone, the entire floor of which is covered in about 4 inches of a blue, crystalline, sand-like substance. On the northwest perimeter of the room, is a door which probably leads to whence you came.

Some of the trees are real, having been planted in huge urns, and sunk into holes in the floor. The statue of the sphinx is still here, as is the pool of water. The room is still lit, albeit very dimly compared to before, now that the globe has been destroyed.

Desert Room Actual.png

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd
"I don't think we can yet. As is we've cleared two rooms with statues in them and each has contained a key. There are four keyholes and four rooms, so I'm assuming there are four keys... Though that could also be a trap to delay us. In each room so far, the key has been in a dangerous location, so if it wasn't contained in that orb it is likely somewhere else,"
I explain to Xao.

Remove ads