THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: Posting on behalf of Tam, in order to advance the story by providing useful information.

GM:
Without provoking the Lion creatures, Tam is able to move up to the door, look at it, and move BACK to his original position at the back of the party.

GM:
Tam fails his Search check.

Tam says, "I don't see where the keyhole is. It might be in a different place than normal. But if I can't find it, there's no way to know if I can jam the lock or keep it from shutting on us. Sorry guys."

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn looks around, and says "Come on, we can take them!" He then looks around again, looking at the space they are in, and then looks at the stone lions again and then says "...but I am open to a more diplomatic less messy approach. I wonder if Thallok or I can hold the door open?"

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir shrugs. "Vale, maybe you can lay the axe on the ground, wedging the blade toward the jamb and the butt toward the door. It may hold it open. On a completely different train of thought, I may have the best potential at a peaceable approach. I could just walk in and see how they react to me."

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam watches.everyone pass him by and realizes that, so far, his actual rogue skills have not been really needed. 😜
Thankfully, his father's training in the halfling guard has come in very handy, along with the recent outlier training.
He has no suggestions as to how to proceed against these bizarre creations/creatures. As a matter of fact, after the giant stronghold, none of this has been in his toolkit of knowledge and experience.
He gladly leaves the plan of attack to the senior members of the adventuring party.
However, being the type that hates to be left out of anything, he mentions, as a mere reminder:
"If we are to attack, I do have a ring of invisibility. I might be able to help in that way. Maybe..."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar begins to think about ways to keep the door open...( Internal monologue) "Leomunds tiny hut might work if I could make it smaller, which I can't. I could summon a large creature to hold it open, but if we don't kill the lions in time the spell will dissapate." Then he has a thought, a good plan in his mind...although he doubts the axe will go along with it.

He walks up to Vale glances at the axe and states as a point of fact,

"You know, many door stops that I've seen are shaped like your axe head."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Knw.Arc. DC: 30.....Respen's Roll: (35) Success!

Judging by the strength and schools of the magical auras, and knowing so much (as you certainly do with a base +25 check!) about magical arcana, you can tell that the TRUE strength of this door lies in the situation where the door has closed shut. Much like an Alligator's jaw, once this door closes, it's going to be Hellishly hard to get open again.

However, the way the auras are arranged, you can tell that the door doesn't need to be held open AT ALL! 😮 The mere presence of someone standing in the doorway is enough to keep the door open. You figure that it must be part of the trap; the door doesn't close until everyone is on one side or the other. Remaining open would certainly give someone a false sense of security. But once the spell detects a clear doorway, there is probably a countdown, after which the door slams shut, locking the occupants inside for good.

If someone, the twins, perhaps, were to station themselves in the doorway, they could keep the egress open; of course, guarding the door in such a stationary position would make them a BIG target in melee combat.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen:
"So this is what I observe..." He provides the information from his inspection and knowledge related to this clearly magical door.
"Time to deal with these creatures. Twins! Use your shields and dragon breath (see what I did there?) to protect yourself, and under no circumstances leave the entrance to this room such that the door remains ajar. We shall attack in force. If the creatures attempt to split us up, don't bite on it. Focus on the the big one first, and then the smaller ones, one at a time. Should you be in distress, call out, we will get you to other side of the door. With any luck, they are magically tethered to the room. We can regroup if necessary."

He prepares several spells, one for Dewydd specifically. "If you are ready, Comrade. I plan to make you more formidable than you already are."
Respen prepares the spell in his mind, and will deliver it to Dewydd before he readies his attack. (Greater Invisibility).

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The biggest of the Lion creatures speaks, "You adventurers are all the same. You mistake our politeness for ignorance. We aren't sitting here, silently, because of complacency or instruction; we're sitting here because we want you to be truly prepared when you face this test. Every party of adventurers that has ever come against us has always done as you are doing now. Prepping spells, examining the door, and so on; I've never seen a party brave enough to simply step inside our chamber, and face us like real men, mono a mono, hand-to-hand, skill against skill alone. You are all sniveling cowards, wanting every possible advantage, so great is your fear of death. Why don't all of you just step inside this chamber, and dispense with the formalities?"

GM:
EVERYONE: The length of his speech catches everyone by surprise. You are not expecting to get hit by a spell. EVERYONE make a DC 22 Will save vs. the Lion's Mass Suggestion spell-like ability. Post your results in LINE chat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases