The Ideal game

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
What is your ideal for gaming?

For me it would be a DnD campaign with heavy RPing, but also fun OOC chatter. Combats would be fun and would take place in a lot of unique places and situations. There would be minimal and perhaps no character death. The players would all be fun people to hang out with, and they would be people I could do stuff with outside of gaming. We would be able to play for long periods of time and we would have comfy places to sit. :)

Odhanan

Adventurer
My ideal game runs over the week-end, not just a few hours. It's an entire week-end during which we play the game, and socialize, and have meals together, and just have fun. That's all the cool stuff you do with your friends, but with the campaign as the focus of the mornings, afternoons and evenings. Then we do that again whenever we feel like it.

There would be a lot of RPing between party members, but nobody would mind some occasional OOC chatter either. I could leave the room (as a DM) for half an hour, come back, and see the players still role-playing in-game. It would be a game where everyone has read the D&D Player's Handbook (or whatever rulebook/game we're using) before, and know their character's personality, background and abilities from the inside-out. Nobody would argue the DMs rulings, and the DM would take the players' pleasure at heart. Everybody would be interested in character development, everybody would love to role-play AND fight their way through the dungeon. There would be a feel of continuity in the games over the years, and every campaign would be somehow tied to each other, even if it's just by a tiny detail that makes the whole thing part of the tapestry.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Odhanan said:
There would be a lot of RPing between party members, but nobody would mind some occasional OOC chatter either. I could leave the room (as a DM) for half an hour, come back, and see the players still role-playing in-game. It would be a game where everyone has read the D&D Player's Handbook (or whatever rulebook/game we're using) before, and know their character's personality, background and abilities from the inside-out. Nobody would argue the DMs rulings, and the DM would take the players' pleasure at heart. Everybody would be interested in character development, everybody would love to role-play AND fight their way through the dungeon. There would be a feel of continuity in the games over the years, and every campaign would be somehow tied to each other, even if it's just by a tiny detail that makes the whole thing part of the tapestry.

I don't think I could've said it better myself.....

sniffles

First Post
My ideal game would never be cancelled due to illnesses or scheduling conflicts. Everyone would want to play all the campaign settings and types that I want to play (it is my ideal, after all ;) ).

Other than that, I agree with everything Odhanan said.

Laurel

First Post
Would have to agree with Odhanan as well. Though I would add that group discussions over possible bad rules or not defined rules be short and end with all happy.

I was filled with happiness when I realized my current group falls darn close to my ideal!

merelycompetent

First Post
Odhanan said:
My ideal game runs over the week-end, not just a few hours. It's an entire week-end during which we play the game, and socialize, and have meals together, and just have fun. That's all the cool stuff you do with your friends, but with the campaign as the focus of the mornings, afternoons and evenings. Then we do that again whenever we feel like it.

I can't think of a more eloquent or accurate way to put it into words. Well done!

(And yoinked for inclusion in my game's House Rules, with attribution.)

Odhanan

Adventurer
I'm glad so many people agree! That means I'll still be able to find like-minded players and DMs for a while, then. That's good to read! :)

genshou

First Post
Galeros said:
What is your ideal for gaming?

For me it would be a DnD campaign with heavy RPing, but also fun OOC chatter. Combats would be fun and would take place in a lot of unique places and situations. There would be minimal and perhaps no character death. The players would all be fun people to hang out with, and they would be people I could do stuff with outside of gaming. We would be able to play for long periods of time and we would have comfy places to sit. :)
You forgot root beer floats. :cool:

Remove ads