D&D 5E The imbalance of ASI levels in non-spellcasting classes

Quartz

Hero
If you look at the spellcasting classes, their spellcasting improves at every level, including the levels that get ASIs. Contrast that with the classes that don't cast spells: apart from the Monk getting Slow Fall at 4th level the non-spellcasters (Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, Monk) don't get anything apart from ASIs at those levels.

Does this need correction?

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
No, because non-spellcasting classes have unique ways to compensate, including but not limited to:

• Fewer to zero 'dead' levels
  • More ability score improvements
  • Extra Attack abilities
  • Consistent abilities (those which are either unlimited, such as the Rogue's Sneak Attack, or consistent, such as the Barbarian's Rage)
  • The classes don't need to gain major abilities at the same levels because of how 5e's class design functions.

Quartz

Hero
More ability score improvements

The Fighter gets one at level 6. How many campaigns reach level 10 for the Rogue's extra ASI or 14th for the Fighter's second extra ASI?

Extra Attack abilities

Gained at 5th level, not 4th. Like the extra die gained by cantrips.

Consistent abilities

Cantrips.

The classes don't need to gain major abilities

Who said anything about major abilities?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
A little correction or imbalance maybe, not nothing so major as to warrant changing IMO.

I've been "compressing" the classes into 10 levels instead of 20, so casters gain access to new spell levels at every level (9th level spells at 9th level). Now, I am slowing down progression of course, so don't think that...

Anyway, I've noticed nearly all levels for non-casters get something this way, but many of the casting classes don't get anything on some levels (all but bards and clerics). But, they get access to new spell levels, so it works out well.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@Quartz :

1574006186597.png

1574006618900.png

Here is the draft for my idea. The yellow levels will be uniform sublcass award levels (making fighter into 4 and expanding bard to 4). Everything in bold, italics is a new feature added to the class. I am still working on this, but this is the current incarnation.

As you can see, bards and clerics can easily be granted something at each level, in addition to new spell level access, but the other casters have little granted to them other than their core thing: spells.

Meanwhile, the battler non-caster classes typically have enough features to spread them out and award something at each level. Paladin was a bit lacking, as was Rogue, but those could be fixed easily.

NotAYakk

Legend
@Quartz :

View attachment 115881

View attachment 115883

Here is the draft for my idea. The yellow levels will be uniform sublcass award levels (making fighter into 4 and expanding bard to 4). Everything in bold, italics is a new feature added to the class. I am still working on this, but this is the current incarnation.

As you can see, bards and clerics can easily be granted something at each level, in addition to new spell level access, but the other casters have little granted to them other than their core thing: spells.

Meanwhile, the battler non-caster classes typically have enough features to spread them out and award something at each level. Paladin was a bit lacking, as was Rogue, but those could be fixed easily.
I assume you are banning multiclassing.

Note that subclass features are supposed to fill some gaps for various classes; your decision to make that uniform causes issues.

Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard was using "gain a level of spells" as a "awesome level feature".

Mystack Aracnum is a level of spells.

Also you are missing Warlock invocations.

Remove ads