D&D (2024) The impending mess that will be backwards compatibility

At least it does not sound like you can mix classes from 1DD with subclasses from 5e or vice versa

I really really doubt they're saying only the base classes are useable. Thats not only pointless but also still causes the same problem.

I am not sure there will be more disparity when 1DD gets added to the mix.

Either 1DD content is weaker or it isn't, and if it is the same then what are they actually selling?

mamba

Legend
I really really doubt they're saying only the base classes are useable. Thats not only pointless but also still causes the same problem.
I believe you misunderstood what I was saying. You can use a 2014 / 5e char alongside a 2024 / 1DD char, but you cannot use a 5e subclass in a 1DD class and vice versa

Either 1DD content is weaker or it isn't, and if it is the same then what are they actually selling?
Who said it is the same, all I said they fall in the same range as 5e does. They are selling improved / streamlined classes and other changes

Shiroiken

Legend
then its going to be a mess for DMs to deal with.
Not really. DMs are simply going to have to decide what, if anything, they will allow from 5E. There will be imbalance, just like there were imbalances between characters for 1E & 2E AD&D. While it's not ideal for people to have mixed groups, it's at least possible, unlike any other two editions. I strongly suspect that most DMs will only allow things that aren't currently supported when the full 1D&D is released, rather than just letting players choose the optimal class between the two editions.

You can use a 2014 / 5e char alongside a 2024 / 1DD char, but you cannot use a 5e subclass in a 1DD class and vice versa

So what does that have to do with what Im saying?

Who said it is the same,

I was preempting a response. The point is is that there is going to be a discrepancy and its either the 2014 stuff causes problems or its made obsolete anyway. The only other option is they're on the same level, at which point the question is what are they actually selling?

DMs are simply going to have to decide what, if anything, they will allow from 5E.

The difference is though that DMs already had the power to say what books count, but now WOTC is telling players their old PHBs still count.

Its going to cause conflicts.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Really..
I don't see the problem.
2014 PCs seem to be around the same strength as the 2024 playtest PCs. Los some, gain some. Seems like a wash.

DMs can pick one, the other, or let players choose. Seems like an overreaction.

The problem is not the PC rules.
It's the weak 2014 monster rules.

Remove ads