D&D (2024) The impending mess that will be backwards compatibility

I suspected that if WOTC didn't drop the backwards compatibility shtick that they were going to end up causing a huge problem, and we learned today they chose to double down on it.

The game already struggles with class disparities, and now they're definitively giving people the ability to assert they be able to use the, likely to be, overpowered versions of the classes that won't be seeing any changes.

So unless OneDND as a whole ends up upscaling the power of everything across the board so that nobody wants to use 2014 (not good either), then its going to be a mess for DMs to deal with.

aco175

Legend
I thought it was listing things as backward compatible but you need to stick with the old PHB and cannot take options from both the old and new, but you can still play. Sounds like it could work in theory, but communism works in theory as well. I'm not holding out on it.

Remathilis

Legend
I thought it was listing things as backward compatible but you need to stick with the old PHB and cannot take options from both the old and new, but you can still play. Sounds like it could work in theory, but communism works in theory as well. I'm not holding out on it.
I think of it like this.

Let's say you're playing a moon druid using the current PHB. 2024, new rules happen. You decide you don't want to use the new druid class. You could just continue playing them if your DM agrees. You don't need to convert saving throws from Fort/Reflex/Will, you don't need to invert your AC. You don't need to figure out what the Wilderness Lore skill is now. You pick a level 1 feat and play like you did.

mamba

Legend
yeah, nothing new in that one. At least it does not sound like you can mix classes from 1DD with subclasses from 5e or vice versa, like some said you will be able to. If this is not in, I am all for it.

I suspected that if WOTC didn't drop the backwards compatibility shtick that they were going to end up causing a huge problem, and we learned today they chose to double down on it.
they just repeated what they had said before

The game already struggles with class disparities, and now they're definitively giving people the ability to assert they be able to use the, likely to be, overpowered versions of the classes that won't be seeing any changes.
I am not sure there will be more disparity when 1DD gets added to the mix. That being said, I would expect most tables to settle on one or the other and all that actually matters is adventure compatibility

So unless OneDND as a whole ends up upscaling the power of everything across the board so that nobody wants to use 2014 (not good either), then its going to be a mess for DMs to deal with.
that would break backwards compatibility, so I would not expect them doing this

Remove ads