• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Infamous Spiked Chain Madness

sjmiller

Explorer
I have read several threads which allude to a Human Fighter build that uses a series of feats for a spiked chain that borders on obscene. The thing is, nobody actually shows what this build is, they just talk about it. I understand it can be done with just the core books in both 3.0 and 3.5, but I can't say that I have ever seen it done. Could someone please point me to this build, so I can look at it? I am curious to see why everyone gets up in arms about it, but it is hard to do until I have seen it.

frankthedm

First Post
Exotic prof. Spiked chain and Enlarge person grant 20 feet of reach. means foes cant get you you without taking AoO's

Thats bad enough. But if you have some dex to spare Combat reflexes lets you get AoOs on multiple foes.

But the real cheese come in with Combat expertise and Improved trip [int 13]. With that, you take your AoO as a trip and most likely put foes on their ass as trip only uses Str [or Dex] and Size mods {You are large [+4] and also have +4 from the Improved trip feat]. After that puts the foe on the ground, you take your follow up attack.[+4 to hit the prone victim]

Now to Stand Up the foe has to draw an AoO, while he is still suffering the penalty from being prone. Oh and if the foe has to move to attack you, you’ll get another AoO [movement] and repeat the process.

Now as you get some attack bonus, you might want to consider power attack. Touch attacks are easy to make anyways and since your plan is to be attacking prone foes for damage with a two handed weapon, -4 to hit for +8 to damage might be a fair trade.

Do note that once you get more than 10' reach, you have to use the 1, then 2, 1, then 2 method for counting diagonally across squares.

clericimbiggenedsv9.gif

Also when makng Melee attacks against those who are not adjacent to you, you determine cover as a ranged weapon. So good placement can bone you out of a few AoOs.

And here is how to use cover to deny the enlarged combatant all AoOs in the above situation. Trolls might not be tactical enough to do so, but this is just to show how to use cover to avoid AoOs.

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1118/aoodenialtk1.gif

Last edited:

Darklone

Try a Psychic warrior with Expansion... even more size and you can do everything by yourself. And hitting isn't a problem for spiked chain dudes as mentioned above.

sjmiller

Explorer
Darklone said:
Try a Psychic warrior with Expansion... even more size and you can do everything by yourself. And hitting isn't a problem for spiked chain dudes as mentioned above.
Considering my loathing of psionics in D&D I won't be using this option, but it is interesting none the less.

Thanks to everyone who has given information so far. I see now why I never read the WotC message boards. They all assume that you own every book that is out there, and use them all too.

It's an interesting take on building a Fighter character. I might build a couple to use in an encounter with my overly cocky (and overly large) gaming group. Perhaps with someone to deflect missile weapons or lightning bolts & fireballs.

sjmiller

Explorer
VanRichten said:
What is the level of character you wish to make. Give me the stats and I can make you one with just the PHB and DMG if you like.
I was thinking of making a couple of them of either 10th or 12th level. The part of 9 adventurers are all 9th level, and I would like to have something provide a respectable challenge to them. Stats are entirely flexible, to be perfectly honest. I usually just write down ones that work for what I want.

Folly

First Post
The spike chain fighter centers around 2 feats(with 1 prereq feat) and 1 PrC: improved trip, improved disarm, Exotic Weapon Master. Then you use enlarge person and/or any other buff that increases strength and size since trip and disarm are based off the two. EWM gives you the additional abilities of flurry, AoO through cover, and +2 to your trip checks. Its not necessarily just a human fighter. For example throw in a few levels of knight to cause the area you threaten to be considered ruff terrain (though I think this is only if they start their round inside your threatened area but with trip you can reliable do this)

The build has a total of 4 stats (STR, DEX, CON, INT)

1:Exotic, Combat Expertise, Pick(Improved Disarm / Improved Trip)
2:pick(Improved Disarm / Improved Trip)
3:Combat Reflexes
4:Weapon Focus
6:Weapon Spec, (Open Feat)
8:Weapon Mastery

This is the bare bones of the build. I believe there are some racial feats from somewhere to give humans the powerful build trait, that would also be good.

Folly

First Post
As a side note, I do not find this build to be that particularly powerful, compared to other well thought out fighter builds. It is amazing against humanoids, but against monstrous foes it loses much of its umph.

sjmiller

Explorer
Folly said:
The spike chain fighter centers around 2 feats(with 1 prereq feat) and 1 PrC: improved trip, improved disarm, Exotic Weapon Master. Then you use enlarge person and/or any other buff that increases strength and size since trip and disarm are based off the two. EWM gives you the additional abilities of flurry, AoO through cover, and +2 to your trip checks. Its not necessarily just a human fighter. For example throw in a few levels of knight to cause the area you threaten to be considered ruff terrain (though I think this is only if they start their round inside your threatened area but with trip you can reliable do this)

The build has a total of 4 stats (STR, DEX, CON, INT)

1:Exotic, Combat Expertise, Pick(Improved Disarm / Improved Trip)
2:pick(Improved Disarm / Improved Trip)
3:Combat Reflexes
4:Weapon Focus
6:Weapon Spec, (Open Feat)
8:Weapon Mastery

This is the bare bones of the build. I believe there are some racial feats from somewhere to give humans the powerful build trait, that would also be good.
Okay, so I figured out that Exotic Weapon Master comes from Masters of the Wild (thank you Wikipedia!). I have no idea where Weapon Mastery comes from. Also, you mention a Knight class. There are about two dozen classes with knight in their name, so I am not sure which one you mean there. Other than that, sounds interesting.

Remove ads