The Irregulars of Hollowfaust

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
madriel said:

Riiiight, and the fact that you just got R&R2 has nothing to do with it. Sure, Nightfall, we believe you.;)

Well that might slow me down... :) But I assure you, I DO Have a working draft near completion.

And yes Horiato, I'll have more soon!

Nightfall

Ask and yea shall receive.

Irregulars of Hollowfaust

Meeting at the Rising Ravenskull

Ban kept his horse going at an easy pace. While it wasn't a particularly crowded street, the unnamed lane was considerable narrow, at least not wide enough for more than two mounted men riding side by side. To Ban's left many houses with long vines and some small flowers hung from window tresses. The large looming wall of Hollowfaust stood over, as it cast a small shadow in the afternoon sun. To his right, a large gambling hall stood with symbol of Enkili displayed prominently. "Figures the Lord of Rogues would use such a place." Ban mused to himself, as he took in more of the city's sights. He could see a few small children playing ball near a building that was most likely another small residential area. What really surprised him was the fact that the city WAS lively. Not as lively as Shelzar if the tales from that pleasure city were true, but certainly Hollowfaust has a robust if sober attitude about it. The children playing here were playing, singing songs. Certainly this wasn't an image that Ban knew much of. "Still it's not like the city is filled with heartless monsters." Ban rode on and then finally saw his destination. There, hanging on the side, a raven's skull with sunbeams comes from around it. Ban quickly dismounted and walked his horse to a near horse tie. Securing his horse, Ban walked calmly inside the large alehouse. The place was sparse, with only a few tables and the lonely bar. The barkeep was standing behind the bar, polishing some glass mugs colored a dark brown. To his left, Ban could see his contact. A large half elf was sitting all by himself, slowly nursing a small mug of ale as if waiting for someone. Lifting his head, Janus Silvermane paused then smiled

"Ban Stormwatcher! Good to see you! Come sit. I'm glad you could make it."

Janus was not of Ban's people, born of a union of forsaken and human, Janus had taken some of his mother's stocky side while still having some of his father's natural grace. His mane of silvered hair was slightly colored to a more somber gray, as his soft lavender hued eyes took in his friend.

"So how was your trip? Not much trouble along the way here I hope?"

Ban smiled at his friend and also one of his mentors. Janus had come to Vesh to learn the skills of the Vigils. In no short time, he had fought off several bands of Slitheren, along with thwarting a plot by Calastian spies to undermine Veshian efforts to keep Burok Torn secure from high gorgon raids. Now the elf was showing a little of his age, as well as his true demeanor, for he had long since abandoned any thought of returning to Termana.

"That's for younger elves and other dreamers, Ban."

He had remarked to Ban once as they had met in Vesh when Ban was first interested in training with them.

"My journey here was fine. Not too uneventful, just some minor attacks by some wayward beasts. Just a wyrmspawn was all. "

"Good, let me get you an ale then we can talk some more."

Ban smiled as Janus boisterously called the barkeep to bring them two mugs of Trumish Ale.

"So I take it this isn't just a social call then Janus?"
Ban asked as they were served.

"No I'm afriad not my boy. I have troubling news. Seems there's been an influx of titanspawn in the city. Speficially, there's been sightings of Slitheren in the area, White wraiths for sure."

"Slitheren!?" Ban hissed as he griped the hilt of his longsword tightly.

"Aye, I'm afraid so. No idea as to why exactly, but a friend of a friend told me, that one of the journeymen was in the old Ghost Quarter. Apparently he'd been looking for some old relics that might have been lost there before the founding of Hollowfaust. Nothing of importance to me or you, but certainly, he wasn't prepared to deal with what happened. Apparently they were assualted, and only one man escaped, my friend's friend. He said they had found a stone with strange markings on it. No idea as to what language but it seem to interest the Slitheren, since when they sent some guardsmen, a few Unfailing and a master from the Animator society, the stone had been moved."

"That does sound odd."

"Aye well, I thought it be best if you kept your guard up. There been a few attack inside the city. A few have died but nothing that makes me thing it's nothing more than their usual hit and run tactics. Just be careful."

"I will Janus and thanks." Ban drained his glass and took his leave.

"Slitheren?! Here? What can they be looking for?"

The answer might yet not be within Ban's grasp...but when it would be, he would live to regret asking that question.

Last edited:

Xaltar

First Post
Nightfall,

You have great descriptions and some amazing understanding of your environment.

My only comment, constructive criticism mind you, is to break up the post into a few more paragraphs. This may just be a copy and paste thing since it has happened to both my wife and I when importing our storyhours from MS Word to the boards.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I too was pulled into reading more about the scared lands by reading Hollowfaust. (actualy, it was a pdf... and I bought 3 books since, books I wouldn't have bought if it wasn't for the pdf!)

I had the same problem in the past about paragraph breaks. make sure to put 2 spaces between each paragraph when you write, or copy/paste only one paragraph at a time.

Ancalagon

drquestion

Explorer
Here's my description and background for Ban:

Ban was born in Vera-Tre, but he emigrated to Vesh while still a very young elf. His parents fought alongside Vigilants in the Druid Wars, and, impressed by their bravery and somewhat dissillusioned with the isolationism of Vera-Tre after so many nations had come to its aid, they left Vera-Tre for Vesh, taken Ban along with them. Both parents became members of the Vigil. However, the family contiued to return to Vera-Tre periodically, in order to visit friends and relatives, so Ban is somewhat familiar with the area and knows people there.
Wanting to follow in his parents' footsteps, Ban began training to join the Vigil himself. He trained hard not only in the arts of combat, but also in techniques for survival both in the wilderness and in cities. As a native of Vera-Tre, he feels most at home in forests and other wilderness areas, but he also knows how to handle himself in cities. Ban also became particularly adept at fighting slitheren, as his parents had been active in searching out their warrens for the Vigil, and they were able to give him special tips. Eventually, Ban was able to join the Vigil as a junior member, and he has participated in several assignments, mostly involving investigating slitheren attacks, but also some minor diplomatic assignments.
Ban is relatively tall for an elf (5'7"), with deep black hari and green eyes. He is friendly enough, in a quiet kind of way. He would like to believe in people's basic goodness, but he is
not naive, and does not place his trust in those who have not earned it unless he absolutely has to. Ban believes in personal honor - he avoids lying whenever possible and he would never cheat or steal (unless the theft was somehow a justifiable goal of one of his missions with the vigil - stealing a powerful destructive magical item from an evil mage, for example). He is a good person, and he believes in righting wrongs, protecting the innocent, etc. However, his main consideration is his duty
towards Vesh, and while he certainly will not commit evil acts, he is also unlikely to stray from his course in order to prevent the evil acts of others, if doing so would jeopardize his mission. The two most important things in Ban's life are his parents and the Veshian Vigil. So far, those two things have not come in to conflict (his parents are vigilants, too, after all), but if they did, he would probably stand by his parents unless he had irrefutable proof that they had done something completely against his morality.
As a ranger and a Vigilant, Ban worships Tanil, but he also venerates Denev, as that is the religion of his ancestors. He is not, however, nearly as fanatically devoted to nature as the elves of Vera-Tre. He eats meat, for example, seeing it as part of the natural order of things.

Edit: sorry about the formatting. I cut and pasted this from an e-mail and it didn't turn out so pretty

Last edited:

Nightfall

Thanks Doc! :) Anyway guys I went back and made those changes but I appreciate the comments! I hope you're enjoying yourself.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Ask and yea shall receive.

"Slitheren?! Here? What can they be looking for?"

The answer might yet not be within Ban's grasp...but when it would be, he would live to regret asking that question.

Thanks...I'll ask more often. Great to see your post and your description of the world of the Scarred Lands. I love the allusion to other places and past times especially with Janus Silvermane..is he an NPC or a Player?

I love Sliteren and the Vigilant! Is Ban a Vigilant? What level did you start the PCs? I have ye to pick up a copy of Warrens of the Ratmen.

Love the foreshadowing!
Can't wait until the next update.

edit: I read Ban's character's description and got the answer to question about his Vigilant status! Vigil-in-training...cool!

Last edited:

Remove ads