The Jade Frontier, part 2 (DM: THB, Judge: Lord Sessadore)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
ooc: Wow, ok...

Firete quickly notices the taint of necromancy bound within the rune. It's clear that this is some sort of trap or obstacle, for passing over the rune (they spread over the entire path) would trigger the latent power against anyone nearby. Those affected would temporarily be overtaken with unnatural terror which would mostly likely cause them to flee. She also surmises that it would be extremely difficult to disable the runes, although jumping over them shouldn't prove too taxing.

Also, as she investigates the rune, Firete sees that the path again splits to the west, down which she can see a number of other passageways. From the southern ones the gray light emanating from Yishim's sunrod can be seen. Apparently you are in a small network of tunnels.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
Well, these runes are going to cause us no end of trouble if we step on them, says Firete to the others. But this place is much, much bigger than I think we anticipated. Does anyone remember if that goblin told us anything useful?

pathfinderq1

First Post
Miranna searched through her memory for a moment, trying to recall the goblin's words. "He said that he had heard noises there, neither human nor goblin, and that the entry to the lower levels was that way, as well as some kind of tomb. I wonder if these wards are from the long past, or if our hosts have laid then down. If they are recent, likely they are to keep us out, and we should find a way past them. If they are old, perhaps we can simply avoid them and press on to the south. Hopefully the way down is there..."

Once she finished speaking, Miranna focused her will for a moment, attuning her senses to traces of ambient magical energy, trying to feel any difference in the local fields.

OOC: Just to be clear- the runes are in the north and west passages, which seem to be connected, and there is also a passage south which is not warded. Is that right?

OOC 2: Using Arcana to sense the presence of magic (takes one minute), within 7 squares in any direction, ignoring known sources. 1d20+10= 16; roll http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2469554/

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
[sblock=orientation and dimensions]
Just to be clear- the runes are in the north and west passages, which seem to be connected, and there is also a passage south which is not warded. Is that right?

This is correct.

Also, I should note that each rune fills a 2x2 square, which would completely block the 10ft wide corridors they are placed in.[/sblock]

Miranna notices two distinct magical auras. The first is loud, howling, screeching, impatient and demanding to be released. Not surprisingly, it's coming from the runes.

The other is much subtler, quieter, hidden in the shadows and the cracks in the walls. It's all around you, and it feels much older than that of the runes.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
Well, recent or otherwise, someone has a definite reason for those wards down those two passages. Perhaps the tomb is down there, but before we try and evade these runes I think we should head south first. And possibly, we could learn of what is down there.

pathfinderq1

First Post
"Agreed," Miranna rasped. "If we can reach our target without worrying about the wards, so much the better. And if we do have to deal with this magic, I would prefer to have cleared any nearby foes beforehand, so they can't attack while we're distracted..."

Remove ads