The King that Crawls

dave2008

Legend
I did way back in the day... one of the group's DMs really liked the setting. When the whole Time of Troubles happened in the switch to 2e, it just soured me on the setting.

Generally speaking, if it was setting neutral, it was in the Realms—as FR was supposed to be the generic setting, replacing Greyhawk when Gygax got ousted.

But Gygax was still around in 1e, that is what I was talking about. My comment was: "...if it wasn't in 1e, 4e, or 5e it is not canon to me" ;)

jasper

Rotten DM
Does anyone know if Torog is still canonical for 5th Edition? I name-dropped him in my campaign for the Halloween session, where a Chain Devil chased my party of 4th level characters through the Underdark when they happened across it during its pilgrimage down The King's Highway. I'm curious if I could add him in a story I'm writing that I intend to be as canonically accurate as I can make it.
My the power invested in my due to my great DMing skills, I pronounce it canon. AKA CANON is what the DM says is canon.

jasper

Rotten DM
Does anyone know if Torog is still canonical for 5th Edition? I name-dropped him in my campaign for the Halloween session, where a Chain Devil chased my party of 4th level characters through the Underdark when they happened across it during its pilgrimage down The King's Highway. I'm curious if I could add him in a story I'm writing that I intend to be as canonically accurate as I can make it.
BEWARE OF NON-CANON. THE CANON COPS LEd BY MORRUS WILL KNOW. THEY WILL PEE ON YOUR KITCHEN FLOOR. KNOCK STUFF OFF THE FRIDGE. HIDE YOUR DICE BAG.
WAIT A MINUTE.
THAT IS MY ELDER CAT SOCKS.

S'mon

Legend
Not only is Tiamat in 1e FR, she has two different avatars! One in Throne of Bloodstone, canonically killed in Hell by Gareth Dragonsbane, and another in the Old Empires region, Unther pantheon I think it is - the Babylonian-based one. I recall a note in Old Empires that their Tiamat was annoyed at Gareth killing the northern version.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I don't know what your talking about so I will take your word for it. Personally, when I talk 1e I am talking about the PHB, DMG, MM, MM II, FF, & Deities and Demigods.

Ah, I see. When I talk of 1e, I'm including the whole run of products from 1977 to until the publication of 2e in 1988. Gygax was ousted in late 1985 (months after the release of UA and OA), the FR boxed set was published in 1987.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Torog clearly has a cannon (railgun).

TorogCannon.jpg

I would argue that setting neutral does not equal default FR. But as I've never played in FR, maybe that is just me.

When the 1st edition Monster Manual was published Forgotten Realms didn't exist as a fully-published campaign setting. There was a "Waterdeep" product out, but that was about it. FR as we know it came later, and since it didn't overrule any core rules everything in the original core rulebooks was in FR.

dave2008

Legend
When the 1st edition Monster Manual was published Forgotten Realms didn't exist as a fully-published campaign setting. There was a "Waterdeep" product out, but that was about it. FR as we know it came later, and since it didn't overrule any core rules everything in the original core rulebooks was in FR.

Was that stated somewhere? That being said, it is kinda irrelevant as I never bought FR products I would have no idea that books that had nothing to do with FR become part of FR.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases