The Labyrinth RPG Is Out!

Based on the David Bowie movie with Jim Henson puppets, it has snuck out and is available on Amazon.

Based on the David Bowie movie with Jim Henson puppets, it has snuck out and is available on Amazon.

"Jim Henson labyrinth - the adventure game contains everything you need to enter the magical world of Jim Henson labyrinth. This beautiful collectors item contains a full epic adventure which can be played both by expert role players using their favorite RPG rules system, and by fans of the labyrinth who are not role players, using the streamlined rules system included in the book! In this book you will find: a full length adventure with over 100 varied scenes full rules for creating characters and adventuring in the labyrinth two custom dice included inside the book! Written by renowned RPG writer Ben Milton, with guest scenes by Alessandro cavatore, Jack Caesar, Patrick Stuart, & matt ward amazing artwork by Ralph Horsley, Johnny fraser-allen & Brian froud! Tools and tables for creating your own adventures within the labyrinth three colored ribbon markers for tracking progress through the adventure full color book mark with rules references and tips high quality cloth cover, the perfect addition to any collector's bookshelf"

61au0IlISHL._SX522_.jpg

lab1.png
lab2.png
lab3.png

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Based on the David Bowie movie with Jim Henson puppets"

Oh c'mon, with his recent passing you could at least call it "the Terry Jones written film"!

(Of course, the project actually owes everything to Brian Froud.)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Won't be able to see my copy until I'm back home in a few days, but based on the look-through videos I'm excited. This is an excellent game for kids, anyone new to TTRPGs, and old grognards like me who like the movie and are looking for a light beer and pretzels game. I'm also impressed with the dedication to designing the book to be easy to run and use at the table. Besides being a gorgeous book, the layout is very well thought out.

The only things I'm unsure about are:

(1) the cut out for the dice seems gimmicky and not very practical.

I can see why it is good in terms of someone wanting to buy the item as a gift. You have everything you need to play the game in the book, including the dice, while avoiding ugly blisterpack packaging. But I don't like dice falling out anytime someone takes it off the shelf and starts flipping through it. Also, I worry that the bottom of the pages will rip when someones finger inadvertently hooks into the open in the page when flipping through the book.

(2) The character sheets that I saw are printed in the book, so it looks like you'll need to find a photo copier.

Maybe there are instructions for quickly making a character by just writing some stats on a piece of paper.

Aldarc

Legend
It's the book with the power.
What power?

Given the popularity of the Dark Crystal show and that the license for it is held by River Horse, which has made the Dark Crystal board game as well as the Labyrinth board game and the Labyrinth RPG, I suspect there's a decent chance we'll see a Dark Crystal RPG.
One of the lead designers of this game was Questing Beast, and one of the goals apparently was to give Labyrinth an OSR sort of sensibility. That works. (Though I could also see how a PbtA style game could also work.) But I'm not sure if a similar system or OSR style game would really capture the feel of the Dark Crystal. I would probably go with something more akin to either Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard or Fate/Cortex.

Last edited:

Arilyn

Hero
The book is gorgeous.

The game is an introductory RPG, a transition between board games and role playing. The goblin King has stolen something from each of the players, who now have to get through the labyrinth to the Goblin King. There are a ton of locations, and players are not going to see them all in one game. The characters are on a time limit of 13 hours, and events can cause the hours to go by more quickly, or occasionally slow down. Each location also has random elements, and are a mixture of puzzle solving and role playing. There are a lot of really cool locations.

Although, it's a first step into role playing, I think veterans will still have fun. It's a great family game, or game for teachers to use.

If River Horse did do Dark Crystal, maybe it could be the next step into a more traditional rpg experience.

I was never a big fan of the Labyrinth movie, but I think I'll have fun with this. A lot of thought went into the design of this game. It's really cool.

Remove ads

Remove ads