The Labyrinth RPG Is Out!

Based on the David Bowie movie with Jim Henson puppets, it has snuck out and is available on Amazon.

"Jim Henson labyrinth - the adventure game contains everything you need to enter the magical world of Jim Henson labyrinth. This beautiful collectors item contains a full epic adventure which can be played both by expert role players using their favorite RPG rules system, and by fans of the labyrinth who are not role players, using the streamlined rules system included in the book! In this book you will find: a full length adventure with over 100 varied scenes full rules for creating characters and adventuring in the labyrinth two custom dice included inside the book! Written by renowned RPG writer Ben Milton, with guest scenes by Alessandro cavatore, Jack Caesar, Patrick Stuart, & matt ward amazing artwork by Ralph Horsley, Johnny fraser-allen & Brian froud! Tools and tables for creating your own adventures within the labyrinth three colored ribbon markers for tracking progress through the adventure full color book mark with rules references and tips high quality cloth cover, the perfect addition to any collector's bookshelf"

61au0IlISHL._SX522_.jpg

lab1.png
lab2.png
lab3.png

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If River Horse did do Dark Crystal, maybe it could be the next step into a more traditional rpg experience.
Their My Little Pony RPG, Tails of Equestria, works well for that as well. My six year old is over the moon for it and it's got an interesting design, using dice of various sizes instead of stats from which bonuses to dice are derived. The lack of d14, d16 and d18 commonly available does mean it doesn't scale well after level five or so, but I suspect the company doesn't think most campaigns will run that long, or will be focused on roleplay over rollplay.

Their My Little Pony RPG, Tails of Equestria, works well for that as well. My six year old is over the moon for it and it's got an interesting design, using dice of various sizes instead of stats from which bonuses to dice are derived. The lack of d14, d16 and d18 commonly available does mean it doesn't scale well after level five or so, but I suspect the company doesn't think most campaigns will run that long, or will be focused on roleplay over rollplay.

It still surprises me that Hasbro didn't have Wizards do that one in-house. Why license that out when you have an RPG division?

Arilyn

Hero
It still surprises me that Hasbro didn't have Wizards do that one in-house. Why license that out when you have an RPG division?
Wizards doesn't have RPG staff that can move off D&D to work on a brand new game. Can you imagine if WOTC announced their next book as "My Little Pony?" 😂😂Fans got upset enough over Mercer's book possibly disrupting the D&D schedule.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's a mystery. It may be that the divisions don't play well together (different divisions in my company don't always get along) or that River Horse brought a wheelbarrow full of money to their door.

The system in Tails of Equestria isn't one I would have expected WotC to have rolled out and, for that, I'm glad to see it was licensed out. I think the system is still a bit undercooked -- seriously, the jump in power from d12 to d20 is kind of insane -- but it's a great starting point and, I think, will eventually inspire a really great post-stats system.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wizards doesn't have RPG staff that can move off D&D to work on a brand new game. Can you imagine if WOTC announced their next book as "My Little Pony?" 😂😂Fans got upset enough over Mercer's book possibly disrupting the D&D schedule.
No, but they know tons of quality freelancers and third party development houses they could have assigned the work to.

Arilyn

Hero
No, but they know tons of quality freelancers and third party development houses they could have assigned the work to.
This must have seen the most cost effective, and least risky. Also, did River Horse go to Hasbro? If so, Hasbro licenses things out regularly, so this probably was just another licensing process from Hasbro's point of view.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Opportunity cost is a thing. Even assigning it to a third party development house has management overhead.
Of course.

I think it's mildly surprising that they think that portion of a manager's time (River Horse is pretty productive, putting out stuff out at a rapid clip, so maybe it'd take all of their time) would cost them more than what they'd earn by having it managed (or entirely run) in house.

But, like I said, I like the end result of the process, so no complaints here.

Those guys read 'disrupting the D&D schedule' as 'not doing Dark Sun'.

But, yeah, MLP should have been another 5e crossover book like MtG and the liveplay settings. Unless figuring out how to get around the setting subrace-locking magic to the unicorns and the usual 'races with flying speeds' can of worms Pegasi could open was THAT big a hurdle.

Arilyn

Hero
Those guys read 'disrupting the D&D schedule' as 'not doing Dark Sun'.

But, yeah, MLP should have been another 5e crossover book like MtG and the liveplay settings. Unless figuring out how to get around the setting subrace-locking magic to the unicorns and the usual 'races with flying speeds' can of worms Pegasi could open was THAT big a hurdle.
Ponies VS. Strahd! Now, I need this! 🦄

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases