D&D 5E The Larger Failure of "Tyranny of Dragons"

Zardnaar

Legend
O.K., that's no excuse; I normally homebrew as well. I am currently running Descent into Avernus but I'm only keeping the skeleton of the adventure. I've added my own material, changed the timeline of when things happened and tailored the adventure to my player's tastes. I still think the book was money well spent - it has given me plenty of information and is useful outside of the adventure due to the gazetteer.

I have also bought the one volume edition of Tyranny of Dragons, have read it through and plan to do the same with that. I can see the early sections of 'Hoard' are problematic but easy to sort out. You make the material your own. I personally feel that anyone going to DM a published adventure should be prepared to change it and needs to be flexible. I pity the players of a DM who is not - I've played with one or two DMs like that and it was no fun; railroading; inability to adjust when we went off track; not accounting for what the players want to do.

Plenty of people have played Hoard over the years - it's not as well constructed as later books but it's not bad - and it's still in print. Therefore, while it might have failed your personal metric you seem to be in a minority and appear curiously inflexible when it comes to running a published adventure. I have been running tabletop RPGs for 30 years and only a handful of times have I come across DMs/GMs who do not adjust published adventures - the ones I mentioned above.

The reason I'm running a prepublished adventure is because.

1. The adventure is interesting and I want to run it.

2. I'm being lazy and want run it with a minimum of effort beyond changing some names.

I often mine adventures if course. I haven't run a prepublished adventure for a while.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Unless you think the person is lying, that’s exactly what it means because that’s the reason they said they gave five stars. Why would someone love the adventure, but not mention anything about that but instead mention the timely shipping? Also, other people has said they gave it five stars and explicitly said they haven’t even read or played it yet, but liked how it looked with the art.

So yeah, relying on amazon reviews is a fools game lol. Not just with RPGs, but most things. That’s why we have professional reviewers.

It may be true that someone did rate it highly because it came on time, but skimming over a bunch of those reviews and there are quite a few that go into some explanation of their experiences actually running the game and playing it who are still giving it 5 stars. So I have my doubts that timely shipping is likely to be a massive factor in the hundreds of reviews.

It may well be that people on the internet are very easy graders with a system like this. Quite a few of the 5 star reviews also indicated that they made modifications in the way they ran the modules or had taken some corrective measures like more healing early in the campaign's encounters. To someone else, that might have indicated a rating below the top level. But that's just a difference in standards and you get them between professional reviewers as well.

Sadras

Legend
I posted because of the frustration I'm having trying to find an adventure to run for a group that wants a "classic Dnd" experience, which would seem to be Tyranny of Dragons, but because it's awful I have to update something from a previous edition.

If you'e willing to put all the effort into updating previous modules, then arguably you could put in some effort into finding the many wonderful and free improvements that can be found online for the ToD storyline, no?

Enworld threads

Other useful threads/websites

Some paying and some free products on DMsGuild

So many years down the line and with so much assistance, the AP's success is really what YOU make of it.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
I posted because of the frustration I'm having trying to find an adventure to run for a group that wants a "classic Dnd" experience, which would seem to be Tyranny of Dragons, but because it's awful I have to update something from a previous edition.
But more importantly, if you're tired of discussing the topic, why are you posting in the thread?
I have Tomb of Annihilation, but not run it yet. Based on reading, it strikes me as a "classic DnD" experience. Maybe it is what you are looking for?

It reads like a blend of the two classics - The Isle of Dread and Tomb of Horrors. I ran the first and played in the other, and for me they were highly evocative! I expect to run ToA over Fantasy Grounds in 2020.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It may be true that someone did rate it highly because it came on time, but skimming over a bunch of those reviews and there are quite a few that go into some explanation of their experiences actually running the game and playing it who are still giving it 5 stars. So I have my doubts that timely shipping is likely to be a massive factor in the hundreds of reviews.

It may well be that people on the internet are very easy graders with a system like this. Quite a few of the 5 star reviews also indicated that they made modifications in the way they ran the modules or had taken some corrective measures like more healing early in the campaign's encounters. To someone else, that might have indicated a rating below the top level. But that's just a difference in standards and you get them between professional reviewers as well.

The average for these sort of reviews online is 4 stars: over 4 stars is good, under 4 is bad. Across the hundreds of reviews, it evens out.

Zardnaar

Legend
If they're giving HotDQ 5 stars wonder what would happen if they come across an actual 5 star adventure. Mind blown lol.

Remember online a lot of people if the like something they give it 5 stars if they don't they give it one star.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they're giving HotDQ 5 stars wonder what would happen if they come across an actual 5 star adventure. Mind blown lol.

Remember online a lot of people if the like something they give it 5 stars if they don't they give it one star.

Aaed on the other Adventures reviews on Amazon, give them five stars too. All of the 5E Adventure books have primarily 5-star reviews, the spread is 4.3-4.6 average. That's still good, since 4 is the average for online reviews.

Zardnaar

Legend
Aaed on the other Adventures reviews on Amazon, give them five stars too. All of the 5E Adventure books have primarily 5-star reviews, the spread is 4.3-4.6 average. That's still good, since 4 is the average for online reviews.

That's why I don't trust the reviews. I own most of the adventures. Not many of them are good enough for 4 star reviews or higher lol.

Plenty of PF, 3.5, OSR adventures are 4 stars or higher. HotDQ isn't one of them lol.

You like tweaking stuff, I'll do it if I want to I'm not a fan of doing it because I have to.
I don't like tweeking stuff. It's necessary.

DMing is just like teaching a lesson. Yes, you can turn up in a classroom, open a scheme of work, and teach from someone else's lesson plan - and it won't be a very good lesson. Or you can spend an hour reading through the lesson plan and tweaking it to suit your style and the class (if you know them), and it will be a better lesson. Or you could spend several hours writing the lesson plan from scratch and preparing custom resources, and it will be better still.

Obviously, time is the enemy of good teaching and good DMing. It's no coincidence that I didn't do any DMing in the time between leaving school and becaming semi-retired.

really I think that is too much to expect and leads to railroading. What happens if an important MPC gets killed. Or someone angers a potential ally. Module would be 100,000 pages or more if they tried to account for every possibility.
I agree. It's simply not possible to write something that can be run out-the-box without heavy railroading, for exactly that reason.

Having an expectation that a published adventure should be runnable out of the box is simply not realistic.

Remove ads