The Last Gods - In Game - The Sword and Scale Trading Company

D20Dazza

Explorer
The Last Gods​

The night air is chilly, but the crackling fire you've started warms your bones comfortably. Crickets chirp, and you smile up at the stars, glad for the quiet evening.

There is a loud roar, and you are blinded momentarily as the campfire suddenly surges up into the air. The flames split down the middle, revealing an abyss that leaches the warmth from your soul. Out of this hellish place stumbles a black-cloaked figure clutching a sythe. Quickly you reach for your weapons.

The strange apparition staggers for a moment. Then, gathering its strength, it pulls back the hood on its cloak. Beneath is a blackened skull with stars for eyes.

"I am Azrael, Lord of the Undead" it hisses. "Or rather, I will be Azrael, after time itself has died."

Even as Azrael speaks, decay begins to eat away at its body, and the god shudders. Holding one arm up to watch as tiny fissures form in its bones, the deity sighs, "Ah, sweet Entropy, come to claim me at last."

Its gaze sweeps back to you. "But no, not just yet. First, I must set events in motion."

Weakness begins to overcome Azrael, and it sinks to one knee. "Long ago, I became the most powerful of all the gods, in spite of my enemies' efforts to stop me. Delirious with power, I destroyed the other gods and eventually fell to feasting upon the souls of their worshippers. After devouring every living creature, I consumed the planets and, eventually, the stars themselves, until I was left alone, in darkness."

The god struggles to finish its message as its bones turn to dust and blow away, "Unexpectantly, I felt remorse for what I had done. I grieved for the universe I had destroyed, but I lacked the power to recreate it. So, I have come to you, to beg you to do what I cannot."

Azrael reaches into his cloak and produces a leather sack. "Take these items and use them."

As Azrael dissolves, it gasps out, "Kill me tonight, or tomorrow will never dawn."

All that remains is a pile of dust and a leather bag.

Legildur

First Post
Pale green eyelids blink over the amber eyes of the powerfully built and armored reptilian humanoid as he lowers his morningstar until the head rests on the ground. With the red light from the campfire flickering off his suit of silvery glistening breastplate, the Lizardfolk warrior pauses for a few moments at the spot where he stood when the fire first roared into life. "Sssssssssnot ssssomething you sssssee everyday," Skleroc comments to his companions with his characteristic hiss as his tongue flicks out to taste the air. He looks down at his weapon, obviously pondering what little good it would have done against such a creature - a god no less!

Rhun

First Post
Aram

Aram relaxes from his fighting stance and sheaths his scimitars. "Indeed," he answers to Skleroc's comments, "one does not expect a dying god to appear in the middle of one's campfire." Moving forward, the short, dark man crouches near the dust and leather bag left behind, eyeing them with a well-trained eye. Picking up the leather bag carefully, he slowly opens the drawstring to peer inside.

Erekose13

Explorer
tweaking colour scheme

"Kill a god? Stop the end of the world? Why us? Who is Azrael? Too many questions." Kageri Yume replies in a completely monotone delivery without inflection or emotion. The tall and skiny man stands as he always does in a steady rigid stance, his purple eyes taking in the bag and the reactions of his companions. "We do not like this. Too many questions." He waits patiently while Aram moves to open the bag.

Foolish. the voice of the Overmind echos in Kageri's mind. We will know the answers when the others do. replies the Collective the discussion all taking place in his head. If we can understand the end. If we can prevent it. We must. thinks the Oracle.

Rhun

First Post
Aram

"Patience my friends," says the dusky southerner with a slight smile, as he works on opening the bag left behind by Azrael. "When one looks into the bags of gods, it is best to take ones time."

Legildur

First Post
Skleroc hisses in what his companions recognise as passing for a laugh. "Yessss, I would take your time if I were you," he says as he patiently waits to see what Aram finds.

Rhun

First Post
Aram

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" Aram reaches his hand into the bag and pulls out a diamond, holding it toward the firelight to examine it. After a few moments, he turns back to his companions. "There is also a scroll and a dagger in the bag. Does anyone want to take a crack at reading the scroll? Perhaps it will give us some insight as to what this Azrael was talking about?"

Remove ads