The Last of Us (HBO Max)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
... but I found it interesting that this were rebels against FEDRA, that became pretty similar to FEDRA when they got the power.
It's pretty common, really. Authorities are hard to topple. Power needs to be held and consolidated against the counter-revolution - because there will be one if the prior authority isn't completely and thoroughly squelched. People will use the opportunity to settle scores. There's a reason that repressive regimes have many similarities - there are only so many ways to wield power and consolidate it over people.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
If anything the show has toned it down a notch.

So far the show has been absolutely excellent. From a story and setting perspective Boston is the roughest part of the game. It's all up-hill from here.

What remains to be seen is if the most important character from the game makes it into the show:
Ellie's Joke Book. No joke book is an immediate 0/10 review from me.
Will it's official, 10/10 greatest adaptation of all time

I'm not enthralled by the new characters or anything (eventhough it's cool to see Tomy's voice actor play such a cool looking role in the series) but I found it interesting that this were rebels against FEDRA, that became pretty similar to FEDRA when they got the power.

'He that fights with monsters, should ensure he himself does not become the monster' vibes to it, which is on point with were we're headed and the whole Zombie genre.

Bolares

Hero
It's pretty common, really. Authorities are hard to topple. Power needs to be held and consolidated against the counter-revolution - because there will be one if the prior authority isn't completely and thoroughly squelched. People will use the opportunity to settle scores. There's a reason that repressive regimes have many similarities - there are only so many ways to wield power and consolidate it over people.
I agree, but in cinema/tv we commonly see the rebels as good guys that topple the regime and instal an ethical government later. it's interesting to me to see something different from that

Bolares

Hero
I loved the stupidity of "let's fight this dudes now and ignore the clear sign of a monster trying to jump trough the ground".

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I agree, but in cinema/tv we commonly see the rebels as good guys that topple the regime and instal an ethical government later. it's interesting to me to see something different from that
Thats often the case of black hat/white hat storytelling. Where the black/white hats are really really bad/good and (ir)redeemable and lack any nuance.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm not enthralled by the new characters or anything (eventhough it's cool to see Tomy's voice actor play such a cool looking role in the series) but I found it interesting that this were rebels against FEDRA, that became pretty similar to FEDRA when they got the power.
As the showrunners said in the behind the scenes segment, this is classic post-revolutionary behavior.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I loved the stupidity of "let's fight this dudes now and ignore the clear sign of a monster trying to jump trough the ground".
I assume she has had major trauma she's responding to. Her lieutenant felt very uncomfortable with what she was saying, but apparently, we are seeing the tail end of something awful happening in KC. (I did not play the game and only know the broadest strokes of their stories.)

Remove ads