The Last Pilgrimmage

Thurgon has kept all these thoughts to himself, of course, confiding only in the Lord of Battle. Imagine his shock, then, to learn that Dame Naquel has ridden to the Tower with Lucann in tow - and ostensibly at Thurgon's own order * . What message had been give to the lady **? By whom ***? And what had brought Lucann back to the city?

Upon learning from Dame Naquel of what has passed, Thurgon Communes with Kord and memorises True Seeing and Bless.

He then casts True Seeing:

Thurgon will walk with Dam Naquel to the room where Lucann waits. As Thurgon walks with her he will discuss with her her receipt of the message to arrest Lucann; True Seeing should help him see through to the truth and underlying reality of what she has to say. (Also, I imagine that whoever tricked/ensorcelled her is the one whose attention is attracted by Thurgon's heightened scrutiny of her and her story).

Your feet have trod the cold stonework of these corridors countless times. But this time, the bite of the cold becomes something...more. Though you fear it not, it is a palpable thing that sends an unnatural shiver down your spine.

Dame Naquel looks at you quizzically when you ask her "what message did she recieve" and "by whom". She answers, "My Lord, I hope this is not a test. * Twas you, in The Great Halls of King's Long Dead beneath the King's Mount not but three days prior. Quinn ferried me down there in secret as your envoy was to be kept hidden from the light's taint as the king's lack of temperance could not be trusted with the administration of justice. Do you not recall? ** You were adorned in full regalia of The Knight Commander of the Iron Tower but you bore an odd signet ring that I do not remember. You told me you had recieved prophecy from Kord and you showed me a crystal orb that gave me the vision of your prophecy. ** You said Lucann would soon be of this world again and I was to secure him and bring him to you at The Breach; the strange northern fault-line where summer immediately turns to winter. I am sorry I could not bring him there to you and I am further sorry that I have made such a public mess of your mission. I bring shame upon our Order."

You hear her words but your bones feel a chill as cold as the deepest the north could ever see. In your mind's eye you see the shape of a woman floating in air. Her skin is almost transluscent and her gown and veil flow in a breeze that you can actually feel. Her face is hidden from you but when the veil blows wildly enough her eyes are revealed. They are the dark eyes of Quinn and you know that the same dark, otherwordly force that you faced in the Royal Garden is looking upon you at this very moment. You almost get the sense that if she wanted, she could project her will into this world at this very moment and set evil "things" against you.

Discern realities: * What should I be on the lookout for? ** Who’s really in control here? *** What here is not what it appears to be?

** The Dark Archfey is not finished here. Not with this world. Not with this Kingdom. And not with the Iron Tower. She is a seductress, working her cold will indirectly and out of sight. Every insidious shadow must be purified by the disinfectant glow of the light. She preys on the weakness of all things. You know for certain now that it was her will that this place be defiled and your former commander be undone. You also know for certain now that Quinn's sacrifice was in vein. His moral fiber was never going to be strong enough to resist her well-placed lures. He is no longer worldly council to the grieving king. *** He is her mortal avatar as was the dryad before her.

* Dame Naquel was easily fooled. Is the rest of your order in such mental disrepair? They should be closely watched.

Armed with whatever knowledge he has gained, Thurgon will then speak with Lucann with True Seeing still activated - is it really him? And what does he know?

When you arrive at his chamber and set your eyes upon him you know immediately It is really him. Your divine sight assures this. Beyond that, I'll let you two have at it.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION], this post is my attempt to recap what is known about Dame Naquel and Lucann's arrest. It is therefore out-of-character, in the sense that Thurgon can have all these thoughts, given what he knows from what Dame Naquel told him, but he can't communicate them (yet) to Lucann.

I don't know what your attitude is to this sort of thing - if it offends your play sensibilities let me know and I won't do it again, but will confine it to my own private notes.

But I find that it helps me keep track of things (and I found in the last PbP, between the limitations of the format and the inevitably patchy nature of participation, I didn't always manage to keep track of the fiction).

With that disclaimer out of the way, here are the facts as I extract them from the game so far (and as Thurgon puts them together from everything that he has been told):

• Thurgon and Theren met Dame Naquel as they were returning from the city to the Iron Tower. She was one of those who had left the Tower when it met its (previous) doom. We don't yet know in exactly what circumstances she left the Tower on the occasion.

• Thurgon sent her to be his envoy to the king, the city and its military leaders because she had the right combination of noble heritage, diplomatic ability and martial skill.

• According to her, three days ago Thurgon met with her in The Great Halls of King's Long Dead beneath the King's Mount. Quinn took her down there in secret "as your envoy was to be kept hidden from the light's taint as the king's lack of temperance could not be trusted with the administration of justice" (the bit in quotes is a bit opaque to me - had Quinn kept her hidden in the tombs the whole time?)

• The "Thurgon" who met with her was adorned in full regalia of The Knight Commander of the Iron Tower but bore an odd signet ring that she does not now remember. He told her that he had recieved a prophecy from Kord and showed her a crystal orb that gave her a vision of the prophecy. "Thurgon" said (and I think this is the prophecy) that Lucann would soon be of this world again and that the Dame was to secure him and bring him to Thurgon at The Breach (the strange northern fault-line where summer immediately turns to winter).

• Lucann returned to the city to find the gates closd. Dame Naquel was waiting for him, with men of the Iron Tower and a wagon ready. How did she know that Lucann would be there? How does her presence there relate to Quinn taking her into (and hiding her in?) the tombs?

• A group of soldiers from the city, led by Master of Arms Dunderman, wanted to stop Lucann and Dame Naquel from leaving. It's not clear to me whether they also were waiting, or whether the guards on the walls alerted them.

• When Thurgon returned to the Iron Tower there was no taint of evil, and any curse seemed to have been lifted. Now, however, the spirit of the Dark Fey who corrupted Lucann's wife and (it seems) Quinn is present. My first thought is because Dame Naquel has brought her into the Tower, mediated via Quinn. Thurgon's best guess is that Quinn is using some form of "sense through others'" ability, using Dame Naquel to spy on us. If she still has the crystal in her possession, I would guess that it is the focus. (That might also explain how she knew to be on the lookout for Lucann at that particular time.)

• Question (both in and out of character): why did the Dark Fey not just let the men of the city arrest Lucann and hand him over to Quinn? Tentative answer - because he didn't want to leave the city and his influence over the king. You were meant to be brought to the Breach, where presumably something bad would happen. It was Lucann who brought himself and the Dame to the Iron Tower. That is something that he and Thurgon should try and use to their advantage - beyond just the fact that Thurgon is present, there is the advantage of being on Thurgon's home ground.

• Follow-up question: if Quinn/Dark Fey wanted Lucann taken to the Breach, why did the men of the city try to stop Dame Naquel at all? That suggests there are independent factions at work in the city. It's probably bad for us that they oppose the Iron Tower, but it might be good for us if they also oppose Quinn. We somehow need to reach out to them.

[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], with these thoughts in mind Thurgon goes to meet with Lucann. I'll deal with that bit in the next post (which also has a slight retcon - I'm hoping the modest retcon is OK, but it was only as I was trying to piece everything together that I got a proper handle on exactly what is going on).

pemerton

Legend
In character:

Dame Naquel and Thurgon reach the room where Lucann is imprisoned. At a gesture from Thurgon the guard on duty leaves his post. Thugon invites Dame Naquel to open the door - as she does so, and hence turns away from him, he uses his True Sight to try and see if she has the crystal on her person.

Assuming that Thurgon can also still see the ethereal presence of the Dark Fey with Quinn's eyes, and worried about the possibility that Quinn might be reading his very thoughts, Thurgon first blesses himself - "Oh Lord of Battle, lend me your strength of body and of mind" - and then shouts a command - "Spirit of darkness, begone! The Iron Tower is my home, not yours! Leave in peace those who dwell within it."​

Moves:

By my reading of the rules, the Bless spell can't be used to help give an order, as giving an order is not a combat action. But if you are more liberal in your rules interpretation, then Thurgon's spoken blessing will also be a Blessing of himself to help with this mental struggle.

Unfortuately, even if the spell casting is permitted it fails: Cast a (Bless) spell: 2d6 + 1(WIS) -1 (True Seeing) = 6 +0 = 6

The attempt to drive Quinn/the Dark Fey out of the Iron Tower is the giving of an order ("I am the Law"): 2d6 +1(CHA) = 9 +1 = 10. As I read it, you (as GM) have to choose whether the dark presence flees or manifests and attacks, but either way I get +1 forward against the spirit.

If the dark presence attacks the Thurgon calls out:

Naquel, in Kord's name open that door! We need Lucann's help here!​

If the spirit flees then (i) if Thurgon can see the crystal on Dame Naquel he asks her to hand it over; otherwise (ii) he will ask Dame Naquel to leave him and Lucann to talk undisturbed.

That's probably enough conditionality for one post.

The below can be unpacked by way of conversation with Dame Naquel on the way to Lucann. I'll let you and Lucann/Campbell sort out the rest together.

We don't yet know in exactly what circumstances she left the Tower on the occasion.

The knights, laborers and ranger set out after the destruction of the tower to:

a) entreat the king and his military leaders for worthy men who were willing and able to take on the burden of the Iron Tower's oaths. This was the paramount concern after the dark forces took the tower and claimed so many lives.

and

b) resupply.

This was before you intercepted her on the road and provided her instruction.

According to her, three days ago Thurgon met with her in The Great Halls of King's Long Dead beneath the King's Mount. Quinn took her down there in secret "as your envoy was to be kept hidden from the light's taint as the king's lack of temperance could not be trusted with the administration of justice" (the bit in quotes is a bit opaque to me - had Quinn kept her hidden in the tombs the whole time?)

Upon arriving on the outskirts of the city, they were again intercepted. This time by Quinn by way of Aramina. She is studying The Great Mysteries under his tutelage. Dame Naquel lets you know that she is well and is very grateful to you for the personal recommendation of apprenticeship to such an accomplished mage as Quinn.

Aramina told her of the King's disposition. He is overtaken by grief, inconsolable, and taken by fits of rage. His only concern seems to be bringing Lucann and the dryad to swift and final justice. The rest of the affairs of the city, even the intermittent attacks of the dragon's throng, are beyond him at this point. Further, as his thoughts have coalesced on the matter, his inclination toward the Iron Tower has grown disfavorable. He has even been prone to irrationally implying that they were complicit in the egress of the the two outlaws.

Despite Thurgon and Theren's actions on the battlefield in routing the dragon's forces, now is not a favorable time to beseech the king in aiding the Iron Tower. The rest of the Iron Tower envoy were stationed outside of the city's walls to go about the business of resupplying in relative anonymity. Dame Naquel was secreted away to await the response from you after Quinn sent you a magical missive relaying the situation. That response was the one she spoke of (referred to above).

She thought the usage by Quinn of "hidden from the light's tant" was an odd one. She thought it odder still when you used the same phraseology when addressing her in the tomb. But it is not for her to wonder why. It is but for her to do and die so she didn't question it.
Lucann returned to the city to find the gates closd. Dame Naquel was waiting for him, with men of the Iron Tower and a wagon ready. How did she know that Lucann would be there? How does her presence there relate to Quinn taking her into (and hiding her in?) the tombs?

The afformentioned vision predicted it.

A group of soldiers from the city, led by Master of Arms Dunderman, wanted to stop Lucann and Dame Naquel from leaving. It's not clear to me whether they also were waiting, or whether the guards on the walls alerted them.

This is mere coincidence by her reckoning of things. But not much of one. The King has set a high reward for Lucann and the dryad. Highwaymen, common soldiers, and the glory-hound Master of Arms Dunderman have been at high alert since that public pronouncement of his public enemy number one status.

I'll let you and @Campbell puzzle over ther est because it is beyond Dame Naquel.

@Manbearcat , with these thoughts in mind Thurgon goes to meet with Lucann. I'll deal with that bit in the next post (which also has a slight retcon - I'm hoping the modest retcon is OK, but it was only as I was trying to piece everything together that I got a proper handle on exactly what is going on).

Not only do I not mind, but its necessary now and then (especially given the format).

In character:
Dame Naquel and Thurgon reach the room where Lucann is imprisoned. At a gesture from Thurgon the guard on duty leaves his post. Thugon invites Dame Naquel to open the door - as she does so, and hence turns away from him, he uses his True Sight to try and see if she has the crystal on her person.

Assuming that Thurgon can also still see the ethereal presence of the Dark Fey with Quinn's eyes, and worried about the possibility that Quinn might be reading his very thoughts, Thurgon first blesses himself - "Oh Lord of Battle, lend me your strength of body and of mind" - and then shouts a command - "Spirit of darkness, begone! The Iron Tower is my home, not yours! Leave in peace those who dwell within it."​

Moves:

By my reading of the rules, the Bless spell can't be used to help give an order, as giving an order is not a combat action. But if you are more liberal in your rules interpretation, then Thurgon's spoken blessing will also be a Blessing of himself to help with this mental struggle.

Unfortuately, even if the spell casting is permitted it fails: Cast a (Bless) spell: 2d6 + 1(WIS) -1 (True Seeing) = 6 +0 = 6

1) Through your divine sight, you can sense the crystal stowed away on her person. Its in an inner pocket of her surcoat.

2) This is certainly a mental battle of wills. Bless would be more than fair here.

Dame Naquel moves to open the door. As you hear the sounds of the locks fall away and you say the words and challenge the dark entity to face you in combat, an unbelievably powerful emotional assault assails you; the kind that would immediately lay low any normal mortal. You feel a bitter coldness but through your divine sight, you sense that this dark entity does not have enmity for this world or you...only your potential intervention in her machinations in her own world. That she will not abide.

[sblock]you take 1d10 emotional/psychic damage, no armor. This would literally outright kill everyone but the most powerful heroes of the world, such as yourself. Roll it and apply it to your HP please.[/sblock]

The attempt to drive Quinn/the Dark Fey out of the Iron Tower is the giving of an order ("I am the Law"): 2d6 +1(CHA) = 9 +1 = 10. As I read it, you (as GM) have to choose whether the dark presence flees or manifests and attacks, but either way I get +1 forward against the spirit.

If the dark presence attacks then Thurgon calls out:
Naquel, in Kord's name open that door! We need Lucann's help here!​

The door flies open! Inside, through your divine sight you see...

The dark recesses of the cell's corners are teeming with shadowy substantiality. Tendrils reach for Lucann and caress him with their malevolence. At the present moment, although he may be cold, he seems unaware of this presence. When you enter, the shadow tendrils, stuff of pure darkness, animate, and fly toward you in attack!

You're going to have to Defy Danger in some way shape or form here and then you can act normally (assuming you don't get a 6-!). If you get a 7-9, I'll let you know what happens, but still act make your next Move. @Campbell , what is Lucann doing at this abrupt action and call to arms by Thurgon? You see nothing in your chamber but a bitter cold (maybe just the harsh winds through window?) does enfold you.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] I'll try to have something up tomorrow. I've been pretty busy with work and have been dealing with some unrelated personal stuff.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION].

The dark tendrils reach out towards Thurgon, but with his mighty thews he carries on despite their attempts to bind and freeze him. He grabs Dame Naquel and pulls her to safety behind him, while yelling at her "The crystal you carry, that Quinn gave you - throw it to the floor so that I can smash it with my mace!" (Lucann can take care of himself for a moment or two.)

MOVES:
Defy Danger: 2d6 +3 (STR) +1 (carried forward vs spirit) = 5 +4 = 9. Let me know what goes wrong. Assuming that Thurgon is still able to, he will
Defend Dame Naquel: 2d6 +1(CON) = 8+1 = 9 (hold 1 to defend Naquel long enough, hopefully, for her to throw the crystal to the ground).

The d10 damage is 4, so I have 21 hp left.

@Manbearcat and @pemerton I'll try to have something up tomorrow. I've been pretty busy with work and have been dealing with some unrelated personal stuff.

@Campbell , dont' sweat it mate.

@Manbearcat , @Campbell .

The dark tendrils reach out towards Thurgon, but with his mighty thews he carries on despite their attempts to bind and freeze him. He grabs Dame Naquel and pulls her to safety behind him, while yelling at her "The crystal you carry, that Quinn gave you - throw it to the floor so that I can smash it with my mace!" (Lucann can take care of himself for a moment or two.)

MOVES:
Defy Danger: 2d6 +3 (STR) +1 (carried forward vs spirit) = 5 +4 = 9. Let me know what goes wrong. Assuming that Thurgon is still able to, he will

Defend Dame Naquel: 2d6 +1(CON) = 8+1 = 9 (hold 1 to defend Naquel long enough, hopefully, for her to throw the crystal to the ground).

The d10 damage is 4, so I have 21 hp left.
@pemerton , I'm sure you guys will remember, but as a matter of routine I'll just say the magic words. Make sure to Mark XP for the 6- earlier.

Quick clarification - presumably you're spending your 1 hold earned from Defend to:

"Redirect an attack from the thing you defend (Dame Naquel) to yourself."

If that is correct, take (b[2d8], armor applies, and Dame Naquel is unharmed and unhindered in her efforts to extract the orb from her person.

Complication from DD:

As Thurgon bears the brunt of the blow for he and Dame Naquel, the forceful might of the shadowy tendril throws them both out of the door frame and back against the wall of the corridor. The heavy iron door then slams shut!

@Campbell , the coldness that Lucann feels enveloping him grows in strength. A strange, shimmering begins to occur in the air and the pit of your stomach feels similar to when you step through worlds to the Feywild (or back). I'm going to need a Defy Danger (Wis - mental fortitude) to resist or something else if you've got a better idea in mind.

That needs to be resolved before the below with Thurgon and Dame Naquel. Don't roll a 6-!

Dame Naquel looks at Thurgon with a face belying utter befuddlement. She unconsciously starts reaching for belt pouches and then pats her surcoat. When she feels the strange presence, a look of curious recognition consumes her visage. She reaches inside and pulls out a palm-sized, crystal sphere. She holds it away from herself at arms-length, as a child might when holding a foreign creature, and lets it roll out of her hand and onto the floor.

pemerton

Legend
I'm sure you guys will remember, but as a matter of routine I'll just say the magic words. Make sure to Mark XP for the 6- earlier.
I didn't know that rule - I haven't read all of the rulebook yet - so thanks for the heads up.

presumably you're spending your 1 hold earned from Defend to:

"Redirect an attack from the thing you defend (Dame Naquel) to yourself."

If that is correct, take (b[2d8], armor applies, and Dame Naquel is unharmed and unhindered in her efforts to extract the orb from her person.
I wasn't sure if Dame Naquel was under attack yet, but given that she is then absolutely I am spending my Hold:

Thurgon grabs Dame Naquel and pulls her to safety behind him just in time for her to avoid the tendrils trying to ensnare her. They grasp at Thurgon instead, but he pays them little heed as he yells at her "The crystal you carry, that Quinn gave you - throw it to the floor so that I can smash it with my mace!"​

The b[2d8] damage = 6, so after armour I take 4, reducing me to 17 hp.

Complication from DD:

As Thurgon bears the brunt of the blow for he and Dame Naquel, the forceful might of the shadowy tendril throws them both out of the door frame and back against the wall of the corridor. The heavy iron door then slams shut!
As I said in my earlier post, Lucann can take care of himself for a moment or two!

Dame Naquel looks at Thurgon with a face belying utter befuddlement. She unconsciously starts reaching for belt pouches and then pats her surcoat. When she feels the strange presence, a look of curious recognition consumes her visage. She reaches inside and pulls out a palm-sized, crystal sphere. She holds it away from herself at arms-length, as a child might when holding a foreign creature, and lets it roll out of her hand and onto the floor.
Thurgon smashes it with his mace. Assuming that that is "Hack & Slash":

2d6+3 = 2+3 = 5.

Thurgon's mace falls upon the crystal, but it does not shatter. "Curse Quinn's dark magic!"​

Does Dame Naquel have any sort of weapon on her? If so, Thurgon yells at her again "Naquel, smash it! It is the evil here" - and her attempt to smash it gets +1d4 from my Setup Strike ability. If she is unarmed, can you tell me a bit more about what she has or might be ready to hand (eg is there a stone, a pitcher, or something she could pick up?) and I'll think about an alternative instruction.

By the way, if I am the Law is needed to get Naquel to act, given her apparent fugue state, here is the move:

2d6+1 = 6+1 = 7. Which hopefully is (just) enough.

[MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION], I hope things go better for Lucann on the inside then they're going out here! I'll try to keep Naquel alive at least.

I didn't know that rule - I haven't read all of the rulebook yet - so thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome and not a problem. And Mark XP for your H&S below!

Also, its not going to apply in this case (because this isn't just an inanimate object that won't fight back), but in the future, if you want to use pure strength to destroy an inanimate obstacle (such as Fighter's BBLG where they get some fiat ability to dictate the narrative), just go ahead and roll damage and we'll see how that lines up with HP/armor. That may apply to pretty immediate resolution, so figured I'd give you a heads up.

As I said in my earlier post, Lucann can take care of himself for a moment or two!

Fingers crossed!

By the way, if I am the Law is needed to get Naquel to act, given her apparent fugue state, here is the move:

2d6+1 = 6+1 = 7. Which hopefully is (just) enough.

IAtL is definitely fitting here. She snaps out of it and does as you command. Or at least attempts to! Complication from 6- on H&S below...

Does Dame Naquel have any sort of weapon on her? If so, Thurgon yells at her again "Naquel, smash it! It is the evil here" - and her attempt to smash it gets +1d4 from my Setup Strike ability. If she is unarmed, can you tell me a bit more about what she has or might be ready to hand (eg is there a stone, a pitcher, or something she could pick up?) and I'll think about an alternative instruction.

1) She is armed with her trusty longsword (no Knight of the Iron Tower is without their sidearm!). She snaps to attention at your command, rips the longsword from its sheathe. But...as she does...

2) The infernal orb animates, levitates a few feet off the ground, gives off a strange WUUUUUH sound, and a pulse of magical energy forcefully slams against you and Dame Naquel, attempting to throw you back. Dame Naquel is separated from her weapon and she is thrown from her feet, landing a wee bit down the corridor. What about Thurgon (need DD or something here to resist)?

3) Corridor features:

a) There is an extremely heavy light fixture overhead, anchored via chains and hooks. You figure if you can trigger its collapse (with a move), it should do the trick. b[2d8]

b) Likewise, there is a stone statue wearing a suit of armor. If you could topple that thing or destroy its stone stand, it should also do the trick. b[2d8]

EDIT - WORLD MOVES FOR a) and b)

Bring down the fixture or Topple the statue! Roll + (relevant stat). On a 10 + Hold 3. On a 7-9 Hold 2. Spend Hold 1 for 1.

* Deal its damage.
* No one gets hurt as collateral (d4).
* The builders don't request 20 gold for the Iron Tower's coffers to do the necessary repairs!
* Gaining passage to the door to Lucann doesn't require a DD move.

c) Metagame info to make this easy for us; Orb - only 2 hp but 4 armor for hefty magical warding!

4) If you succeed at resisting this thing and you can IAtL her with a 10 +, that will bulwark her strength enough to resist the repulsion effect and help you in whatever you want to accomplish (+1 forward). If you just want her to H&S, she can get her blade and take your SS bonus. Please resolve that for her (2d6 + 2; d8 + 1d4 from SS) and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Remove ads