The Last Pilgrimmage

@Manbearcat It looks like Lucann has turned into a bit of a dick now that my dice rolls have improved.

How does the saying go? With great power comes great dickery?

Good stuff. I'm thinking End of Session after the conflict following this one or once you get to The Iron Tower (depending on how things go). Whichever comes first. That will give opportunity to run a prologue scene with @pemerton and End of Session xp both of you. Sound good?

I'll update this post with my response this evening. Have to head out.

Once Lucann believes they have made it to a safe point he turns to Dame Naquel. He speaks in a soft, yet challenging tone in elvish: "I know that you wish death and may yet get your wish, but not if I can help it. Death is an easy, airy thing. There is beauty in it. A good death brings with it a sense of nobility, but such notions are human notions. The people's lives are not their own to do what they wish with. We have a freedom to live in ways that neither eladrin or human can, but it is our duty to live. Everyday we must make the choice to truly live, to cast aside our own nobility to protect what we hold dear. As both a human and one of the people you have a unique choice. You can bind your heart to human nobility and embrace death or embrace life and all the spirits of the world."

As Lucann finishes his verbose pontificating on the nature of life and death he turns to see the human chasing after them. He calls out in common to the man: "If you mean to use that weapon I would be careful. I do not wish to see more blood spilled on this day. Your blind lust for glory has led to enough of that. I have a proposal for you - follow me and Dame Naquel into the forest and see what the Lady Sehanine wishes for me to see as I commune with the spirits of nature. If you still believe I am worthy of detainment after that you can arrest me, and I will come peaceably."

To be continued...

now...

As she comes down from her emotional high, Dame Naquel speaks the elven tongue to you as she continues to swivel her head back and take in the loss behind her. Through tired, jerky gasps she says, * "To be heroic is to be courageous enough to die for something. To be an elf is to be courageous enough to live for everything. You have nothing to die for today." She looks back at you and as you pull her along she quickens her pace in kind, plate armor in full protest at the urgency of the movement. "That is what my father would say to me every morning when he would wake me. Perhaps some of his spirit found its way to you when he passed. Lead on."

The rider's horse slows from a charge to a trot as he takes in your words, all the rest of the men far behind busily perusing the battlefield, the lost, and likely the spoils of war. The armored rider pulls up his visor to regard you eye to eye. With your keen sense of nonverbal language, you can easily read his response to your words in the corner of his eyes. You can feel the wheels turning in his mind; "...One man tracks down and brings in the most wanted man in the kingdom by himself...the bards will write stories of it...hells, they'll build a statue of me..." He holsters his cavalry lance on his saddle and draws his longsword. He points it downward at the two of you. ** "Very well. Holster that skinner of yours and we'll take a walk into those trees. But once you've made your peace with your elf Goddess, I'll be leading the two of you out of here, single file, with these around your legs." He opens a saddlebag and taps his sword on the bag, revealing some chain-gang manacles.

When you go into the small copse of trees, you can see that the earth is opened up. The groundcover is extremely shallow and a 10 ft diameter circle opens up into a large depression. 20 ft below is a rushing, underground river, the flow leading precisely in the direction of the Iron Tower. The illusory bird, a gift from the Goddess of love, the moon, and autumn, the patron of trickery and illusions, slammed into the earth like a phoenix in this very spot.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Lucann sits down in the spot where the spirit crashed, and spends an hour in quiet contemplation renewing his vows to Sehanine when inspiration hits. As he looks over to the river and the Iron Tower Sehanine's inspiration is upon him. He turns to the man and speaks: "As I recall our deal was between you and me. Dame Naquel was simply doing her duty by arresting me. Actually now that I think upon it I promised to accompany her to my arraignment before I gave you my word. I'm afraid the prior promise takes precedence, but do not fear - I shall gladly surrender myself to your chains once Thurgon releases me from his custody."

With a cockeyed glance he turns to the knight, and speaks a prayer in elvish "May Sehanine's wind bind this knight's body as his misplaced devotion has bound his senses." As the prayer leaves his lips it is answered, but no longer available to our elven hero.

Lucann then turns to Dame Naquel with a bit of a grin. "It seems The Lady has provided us with a horse to make up for the one we have lost."

As Lucann and Dame Naquel mount the knight's horse, Lucann turns to the knight. He speaks: "I would have come along had you observed the courtesy of a fair bargain between equals and not brought Dame Naquel into this. I really do regret this. I admire your devotion to the laws of men, but My Lady has other plans for me. If you wish to air your grievances I'm sure the Iron Tower would welcome you as a guest."

[sblock="Mechanics"]
Commune
Cast A Spell - Hold Person 2d6+3=7 - Now Lost
Spells: Hold Person, Sanctuary, Cure Light Wounds, Magic Weapon

HP 22/22
XP 1/13
[/sblock]

@Campbell , just want to clarify the fictional positioning here so I can make sure we're on the same page, giving you have as much agency as possible for your next move.

1) The copse of trees is not huge but not terribly small. Its probably 150 meters by 150 meters.

2) The area you rode in on is a tall grassy steppe that slightly ascends to a bluff which the copse resides upon.

3) The bluff descends at a middling grade, approximately 20-30 feet, to another extended grassy steppe. The forest that Dame Naquel was referring to lies far beyond.

4) Visual range is considerable.

5) The terrain feature where the illusory bird of prey came to the earth is a sudden collapse sinkhole in the middle of the thicket you're currently in. The ground opens up in about a 10 ft diameter circle, leading down into a pit where an underground river rushes in the direction of the Iron Tower (which is at a distance well beyond your sight).

With that said...

As you and Dame Naquel move to mount the horse, she says; "They sent a search party out. I could hear them talking as they walked the perimeter of the wood. They dared not enter. They fear you as something of a warlock in the cover of this place. But that fear won't extend out there. They will pursue us, let there be no doubt. I'm sure they're out for blood after recovering Dunderman's corpse."

She continues, "...while you were in prayer, I heard one of them claiming your weapon as a trophy, probably as a taunt. No doubt they have pillaged my men and defiled their bodies. I will have my revenge this day or the next."

Your move.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Your move ...

is to ride fast and hard towards the Iron Tower. Lucann has seen enough delays on his mission. As they ride Lucann speaks: " I will guide the horse if you keep an eye out for pursuers. While I would very much like to recover the ancestral weapon The Lady has blessed me with I'm afraid Thurgon must be made aware of the violence with which the king's men have pursued their mortal laws with in stark defiance of the higher divine order."

[sblock=Mechanics]
I'm guessing that Lucann and Dame Naquel are Undertaking A Perilous Journey. If so Lucann will act as Trailblazer and Dame Naquel will act as the scout.

Trailblazer 2d6+3=11
Dame Naquel (Scout) 2d6+1=7

If danger is closer than that Lucann shall ride especially hard and fast:
Defy Danger (Dexterity) 2d6+3=8

Rations: 5/5
HP 22/22
XP 1/13
[/sblock]

Last edited:

I'm guessing that Lucann and Dame Naquel are Undertaking A Perilous Journey. If so Lucann will act as Trailblazer and Dame Naquel will act as the scout.

Trailblazer 2d6+3=11

If danger is closer than that Lucann shall ride especially hard and fast:
Defy Danger (Dexterity) 2d6+3=8
Yes, you're Undertaking a Perilous Journey. If this was just an excursion into the wild, we would just resolve it as normal. However, this is a location that has been transited by a member of your party before. These wilds are the ranged territory for the Iron Tower. Dame Naquel was an outrider before she was knighted. This outlying area is one of the areas that she would range so she knows it well enough (hence her ability to provide instructions to you prior when the S was hitting the fan). Few things then:

1) Defy Danger - You guys narrowly escape pursuit but you're eitther going to lose a few rations in the course of it (perhaps the saddle bag was hit by an arrow or somethihng) or sacrifice a couple of HPs for the exertion (1d4 environmental - armor does not apply. You're choice. If rations, understand that:

a) All of Dame Naquel's rations were on the supply wagon or her downed steed, so you're splitting your 5 amongst the two of you.

b) Your Perilous Journey will be 3 days. Your 11 + as Trailblazer will mean (A) no complications for that role and (B) you reduce the time of the journey by 3 days to 2. That would mean you need 4 rations for the journey. However,

c) You have no quartermaster, which means an automatic failure for that supply/provision role. That failure is going to cost an extra ration for each of you for the journey - so 2 extra.

d) Please update your immediately preceding post above with an edit that includes Dame Naquel's role as Scout. 2d6 + 1 please. Thank you.

e) Lack of rations will cost you 1d4 environmental damage with no armor applying.

f) If you need rations, you can attempt a World Move:

Forage in the Wild - Roll + Wis

* 10 + You find provisions enough for your group for the day.
* 7 - 9 You find provisions enough for your group for the day but choose 1:
* You take 1d6 environmental (no armor) for your efforts, perhaps an encounter with a prickly hazard. Describe it.
* You stumble upon the lair of something nasty. The GM will describe it.
* Poisoned berries! Everyone in your group takes debility Sick (Con).

So then. Let me know your complication for (1) and describe it. Let me know the results of (d). If you're going to perform Forage in the Wild, resolve that and let me know the results. I'll resolve the results of (d) afterward with an EDIT to this post.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Lucann set out for a hell ride, and it ends up being one hell of a ride. During the first day the horse is guided by Sehanine's winds and manages to keep well ahead of the patrols. Unfortunately as night falls and Lucann and Dame Naquel are about to set camp for the night they hear the beating of hoofs and the rattle of weapons off in the distance. Lucann turns to Dame Naquel with a knowing glance and they mount the horse and ride through the night, but at a measured pace. After a couple hours Lucann feels Dame Naquel's golden hair on his shoulder - she fell asleep while they rode!

Midway through the second day Lucann and Dame Naquel stop to give the horse a rest and to fill their bellies with the last reserves of elven bread Lucann had packed for his journey. Alas there was only enough food for one. Despite being tired and hungry Lucann gives Dame Naquel the last of his rations. He was so focused on making it to the Iron Tower as quick as possible that his a couple of his rations must have fallen out on their breakneck first day. He speaks a prayer in elvish : "Lady Naquel your need for sustenance is greater than my own. You have been through much and should take this nourishment. I still have much to do and here in the wilds My Lady will sustain me."

As the journey continues Lucann's prayers are answered. He is still very tired and hungry, but his faith in his mission provides him with the vigor of desperation. They continue with Sehanine's winds urging the horse along. As the sun sets on the second day the gates to The Iron Tower are in site. As they approach the gate guard Lucann speaks: "Be brave and scorn cowardice in any form. I am Lucann, Steward of The Old Accords and a servant of the Lady Who Resides Between Worlds. I have arrived for my arraignment before The 9th Count of Adir, Life-Giver, Savior of King and Country, First of the Lord of Battle, and Knight Commander of the Iron Tower, Thurgon Von Pfeizer. I will accept the judgement of The Storm Lord's favored."

[sblock="Mechanics"]
Environmental Damage2d4=6
(1d4 for no sleep on the first day, 1d4 from lack of rations on the second)
Cast A Spell (Cure Light Wounds) 2d6+3=14
Cure Light Wounds Healing 1d8=4
Rations: 0/5
HP 20/22
XP 1/13
[/sblock]

Your quarters are a room in a tower with a spiral, stone stair. A guard is posted outside your door. The furnishings are spartan but plenty accommodating to Recover. The window is barred but fresh, mountain air permeates your chamber and the snapping of the drapes by the wind is a pleasant sound.

Before you part, Dame Naquel tells you that she needs to speak to Knight Commander Von Pfeizer and tell him of what has transpired. She doesn't know what all of this means. She'll bring your dinner to you herself tonight so she can tell you of any news and she assures you that you will be treated well. You will be summoned when the Knight Commander is ready to receive you. She doesn't know how immediate that will be. Its just as likely that he will receive you immediately as it is that he will have much to ponder and will take his time.

She thanks you for helping her get back to the tower so she could tell the tale of the fallen, their glory in battle, and properly cement their noble memory with eulogy. She thanks you for giving back to her some of what she had lost since her horror at her father's wasted death.

You can Recover and End of Session here; so xp for your resolved bond with Dame Naquel, review xp for the 3 EoS questions and review xp for alignment statement.

Where we go from here is up to [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] . I know he is busy right now so we just need to sort out how we're going to proceed.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
You can Recover and End of Session here; so xp for your resolved bond with Dame Naquel, review xp for the 3 EoS questions and review xp for alignment statement.

Where we go from here is up to [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] . I know he is busy right now so we just need to sort out how we're going to proceed.

I'm good with waiting on [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]. I'm pretty busy myself these days.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION]: so I dragged myself away from the regularly-scheduled edition wars to read up on this thread, and think a bit about Thurgon.

Here are some stats - I hope I've got the system right:

[sblock]Thurgon, 6th level Paladin

Fiery eyes, Helmet, Worn Holy Symbol (crossed axes), Fit Body

Good-aligned (endangers self to protect those weaker)

STR 18 (+3) - +2L
CON 15 (+1) - +2L
DEX 8 (-1)
INT 9 (+0)
WIS 13 (+1) - +1L
CHA 15 (+1)

HP 25

Stuff
Transport: Horse - 75 coins, load 10

Load 14:
Scale Armour (-2 damage, enc 3)
Shield (-1 damage, enc 2)
Heavy mace (close, +1 dam, enc 1)
Adventuring gear (enc 1)
Dungeon rations x5 (enc 1)​
Damage 1d10

Magic Items:

Kord's Boon - Honour and Glory! (cost 75 coins)
When the tide needs turning or you are against great numbers, if you Hack & Slash or Defend with a 10 +, you can rally; heal yourself or an ally of 10 damage; or remove one debility (your choice).​

Weight of the Iron Tower - Blessed heavy mace (close, + 2 damage, 1 weight).
When you bear this weaon, you become a beacon of inspiration to all you lead. Any hirelings in your employ have +1 Loyalty, no matter the quality of your leadership.​

Hirelings
Herald
When you need to know some matter of history, culture, heraldry, or courtly affairs, add +2 to your Spout Lore rolls. When the audience would be moved by your legend or station and your herald announces your heroic deeds and noble titles, add +1 to your I Am the Law or Parley rolls. Loyalty 2. Cost: Fame and Glory.​

Theren (Warrior)
When you deal damage while a warrior aids you add their skill (+3) to the damage done. If your attack results in consequences (like a counter attack) the man-at-arms takes the brunt of it. Loyalty 3; Cost: The Thrill of Victory (Theren's Beliefs - (Protection) I am not the focus of attention, I am the mistake you make in assuming his flank was weaker than his front; (Service) There must be some purpose. I have yet to find anyone whose flaws do not out way their convictions; (Determination) If it is living, it will decorate my spear. If it isn’t living, I will die and then it will decorate my spear.)​

MOVES

Armoured: ignore clumsy tag on armour worn.

Give an NPC an order based on my divine authority
R+1(CHA) (7-9 they choose (i) do what I say, (ii) back away cautiously, then flee, (iii) attack me; 10+ as 7-9 but I take +1 forward vs them; Miss they do as they please and I take -1 forward vs them)​

Detect Evil: When praying for guidance, asking *What here is evil?*, the GM will answer honestly.

Laying on of Hands (skin-to-skin)
R+1(CHA) (10+ heal 1d8 or one disease; 7-9 as 10+ but damage/disease transferred to me)​

Hospitaller: +1d8 when heal an ally.

Hack & Slash: R+2(STR) (10+, deal damage (1d10+2) and avoid, or deal damage+1d6; 7-9, deal damage).
Setup Strike: choose an ally when I hack and slash; their next attack vs my target does +1d4 damage​

Staunch Defender
While I stand in defence of a person, item, or location under attack, R+1(CON) (10+, hold 3; 9 or less, hold 1), when I am attacked or the thing I defend is attacked I may spend hold, 1 for 1, to choose to: redirect an attack from the defended thing to me; halve the attack’s effect (ie the attacker gets some of what they want but not all of it) or damage; open up the attacker to an ally giving that ally +1 forward against the attacker; deal damage to the attacker equal to my level (if wthin reach of your weapon).​

Quest + Perfect Knight:
When, through prayer and ritual cleansing, I dedicate myself to a mission (slay X, a great blight on the land; defend X from the iniquities that beset them; discover the truth of X) choose 3 boons (an unwavering sense of direction to X; invulnerability to X (eg edged weapons, fire, enchantment, etc); a mark of divine authority; senses that pierce lies; a voice that transcends language; freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep) which require keeping a vow specified by the GM.​

Divine Favour (gained at 2nd level, natch!):
Spend uninterrupted time (an hour or so) in quiet communion with my deity, lose any spells already granted and gain new spells (6 spell levels of 5th or lower level) plus prepare all of my rotes; to cast a spell R+1(WIS) (10+ successful cast and don't lose spell; 7-9 cast but choose either to lose spell, to draw unwelcome attention/complication, or to take -1 to cast until next communion).​

BONDS
Theren has stood by me in battle and can be trusted completely.

The people of the city remain brave in spite of their suffering; I have much to learn from them.

Lucann's misguided self-indulgence endangers his very soul!

Quinn can be brought back from the darkness into which I allowed him to fall.[/sblock]

I'll put an opening panel in a separate post.

pemerton

Legend
Intro from Thurgon's point of view:

As Thurgon dragged himself and Quinn to higher ground, Theren ran up into the castle and secured the person of the king. Lucann stepped through a portal in the trees, saying something about seeking the aid of the Eladrin. No aid was forthcoming, however, and it was only through hard fighting of those who remained that the siege was ended. The men on the walls rallied when Theren appeared with the king on the battlements of the keep, and depite the deluge the dragon did not attempt a final assault, seemingly fearful of the threat posed by the seige weapons that the rallying forces had captured.

As the city began to be rebuilt, the need for Thurgon and Theren's aid lessened. Thurgon therefore set out to return to the Iron Tower - taking Theren with him - to see what he could learn about the death of his Commandant. On the way he met some members of his order. Most he took with him, but one - Dame Naquel - he sent as an envoy back to the city. She had the noble heritage, and the diplomatic and martial skills, to deal with the king and the military leaders. And as a half-elf she might be able to learn what had happened to Lucann.

The Tower was abandoned, but any curse upon it seemed to have been lifted. There were bodies to be buried - including that of the murdered Commandant - but no taint or evil. Thurgon and his fellows did the grim work of burial, and set about restoring the Tower to its former state.

Over these months of work, three thoughts nagged at Thurgon:

* Would Quinn, serving now as advisor and chamberlain, provide the king with wise counsel so desperately needed?

* And would he provide Aramina - the young firemage whom Thurgon fought alongside on the rampants, and had befriended as the city was rebuilt - with the magical tuition that she requires? (When Thurgon sleeps, he dreams too often of Aramina. But his resolve is strong, and she is far away.)

* What had become of Lucann and his lover, who alone could now explain the mystery of the tower?​

Thurgon has kept all these thoughts to himself, of course, confiding only in the Lord of Battle. Imagine his shock, then, to learn that Dame Naquel has ridden to the Tower with Lucann in tow - and ostensibly at Thurgon's own order. What message had been give to the lady? By whom? And what had brought Lucann back to the city?​

Upon learning from Dame Naquel of what has passed, Thurgon Communes with Kord and memorises True Seeing and Bless.

He then casts True Seeing:

[sblock]2d6=7, +1 = 8; spell cast, attract unwanted attention[/sblock]
Thurgon will walk with Dam Naquel to the room where Lucann waits. As Thurgon walks with her he will discuss with her her receipt of the message to arrest Lucann; True Seeing should help him see through to the truth and underlying reality of what she has to say. (Also, I imagine that whoever tricked/ensorcelled her is the one whose attention is attracted by Thurgon's heightened scrutiny of her and her story).

[sblock]Discern realities: 2d6=9, +1 = 10: What should I be on the lookout for? Who’s really in control here? What here is not what it appears to be?[/sblock]
Armed with whatever knowledge he has gained, Thurgon will then speak with Lucann with True Seeing still activated - is it really him? And what does he know?

Remove ads