D&D 5E The last Playtest - any chance of updates?

We've been told it's the last play test, and I'm hoping to try it out next week. However, there was mention of the Druid and Paladin being expanded, while we've had news over the last week that they're changing the way Classes are grouped. Are we going to see these things as updates at any point?

Li Shenron

Legend
Most likely only wildshape, second paladin's oath, and a couple more clerical domain.

There isn't probably going to be any other conceptual change to the game, unless it's minor (class groups) and therefore feedback to L&L is enough, or unless it's a specialized module they don't want to be tested by the masses and they have explained why.

Mechanical and math adjustments need focused testing and simulations rather than mass public testing.

Some additional character material might be wanted to remain undisclosed until the game release.

I only ask because I thought the Class grouping was a fairly major shift, and was wondering if they were going to do anything else like that before it goes inhouse.

Li Shenron

Legend
It seemed, but they clarified that it's a minor shift instead, since it won't drive any change to classes and subclasses, and even it's use for magic items requirements will be sparse.

OTOH that actually means they could shove it into the last packet's update with ease.

IMO you shouldn't wait for the update in order to playtest the game, unless you want to have a Druid specifically, in which case it's a little bit unsure whether the update will be totally within the wildshape scope (in which case I'd be easy for the player to update) or if the wildshape changes affect other features such as moving them to different levels, or if they actually changed other stuff along wildshape.

Yes, we'll get some different druid rules and likely a second paladin oath.

But we won't get all the other stuff that we really *need* to concept test, like a second draft if the bard (or a "bardic" support bard), a sorcerer and warlock (either as a class or subclass), or any of the modules.

Kinda annoying really. They haven't managed to nail anything else on the first try, why did they expect to get the bard right in one? And they pretty much have to start from scratch on the sorcerer and now they're changing their mind.

Esper the Bard

First Post
The druid wildshape is in big need of repair, and it sounds like it's getting a major update in the near future. Unfortunately, it looks like we're stuck with the very restrictive skill and feat system.

gyor

Legend
Yes, we'll get some different druid rules and likely a second paladin oath.

But we won't get all the other stuff that we really *need* to concept test, like a second draft if the bard (or a "bardic" support bard), a sorcerer and warlock (either as a class or subclass), or any of the modules.

Kinda annoying really. They haven't managed to nail anything else on the first try, why did they expect to get the bard right in one? And they pretty much have to start from scratch on the sorcerer and now they're changing their mind.

I don't think Mearls had a choice, I think his bosses told him he had to move to the next phase.

That is just speculation on your side. More probably, reading the forums, they realized, that people don´t grasp the idea of modules. They don´t grasp the idea of a playtest... and to reduce negative conversations on those forums, they decided to go to a more private enviroment to do the realy playtests.

I hope, I am right, but this is only speculation on my side (backed up by a L&L a few weeks ago).

Also their first draft on the bard and also on the sorcerer and warlock were quite neat. Especially the warlock had the right flavour... I hope we see the preview soon in a L&L (we were promised to gest some specific previews in L&L articles).

gyor

Legend
That is just speculation on your side. More probably, reading the forums, they realized, that people don´t grasp the idea of modules. They don´t grasp the idea of a playtest... and to reduce negative conversations on those forums, they decided to go to a more private enviroment to do the realy playtests.

I hope, I am right, but this is only speculation on my side (backed up by a L&L a few weeks ago).

Also their first draft on the bard and also on the sorcerer and warlock were quite neat. Especially the warlock had the right flavour... I hope we see the preview soon in a L&L (we were promised to gest some specific previews in L&L articles).

I agreed, all three were very cool right away.

Remove ads