• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Legend of Korra

Kaodi

Hero
So why jump to the second conclusion? Why not assume the first?

I am extremely annoyed that the BBC (and Doctor Who in particular) is region blocked, but I am left with two options--piracy or wait for it to come out here in the US. I think it's dumb for it to be region blocked, but my default assumption is that there is some legitimate reason for it to be that way--whether it's money, licensing, or that unblocking it would kill the servers, or some other reason that hasn't crossed my mind.

While it is far more likely that they are constrained in some way that is not their fault (or at least no entirely), I am not sure I could bring myself to entirely rule out the possibility of them being dumb. I mean, it would be charitible to think the first, but unjustified to completely rule out the second.

Mercutio01

First Post
While it is far more likely that they are constrained in some way that is not their fault (or at least no entirely), I am not sure I could bring myself to entirely rule out the possibility of them being dumb. I mean, it would be charitible to think the first, but unjustified to completely rule out the second.
A multi-national production/distribution company with 30+ years in the business is too dumb to realize that region-blocking cuts out potential money and customers? Or is it more likely that there are other reasons? Copyright laws which are not universal, licensing rights for music/voices/etc which aren't open, distribution costs which might outweigh gains in profits, local laws in other countries which might be broken, or simply greed. Can't forget greed. Companies sell advertising on websites, and if the advertising is for things you can only buy in certain markets, you're essentially giving away for free what is being paid for.

That last bit is my understanding for why Doctor Who is region-blocked. BBC can't make money on US visitors streaming from their website (and probably couldn't afford the servers to handle the load), and since the way English television is paid for (users pay licenses) is different from the US, that's even more money they lose.

Dire Bare

Legend
Screw regionblocking. Just censorship by a different name.

It's not censorship by a longshot, and it's not dumb. Just because you don't understand the reasons behind the decision, doesn't automatically drop it into the "stupid move" category. I'll agree it's frustrating, and it sucks.

I'm frustrated by the limited time these episodes were online, by the time I found out about it, they were gone. I'm cranky, and annoyed at Nick, but I'm sure they have their reasons, even if perhaps I'd disagree with them if I knew what they were.

Kaodi

Hero
Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

I think that in a loose sense you can call it a kind censorship, or at the very least a close blood relative. It is a kind of public communication that is blocked in part due to rules governments institute to allegedly prevent harm (to intellectual property rights).

fba827

Adventurer
They're not online anymore? I guess I'm glad I watched them when I did. I didn't realize they were coming down.

It was a preview only available for that weekend.
Only a couple weeks until it shows for real, so not that long to wait for anyone that missed it (or for watching again ;) ).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
just watched the two webisodes and am loving the film noir setting, feels very 30's to me, even down to it's gangster triads and police blimps. Also really like the references and tie-ins to the first series (like Tophs daughter leading the metalbending police, the White Lotus Society and the names of Aangs children)

I am wondering about Sokka and Suki's offspring and hope to see a new set of Kyoshi warriors, and seeing Ty Lees descendents would be interesting too

Anyone know when the series hits the TV broadcast?

Remove ads