Critical Role The Legend of Vox Machina: Bawdy, Bloody, and Funny

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

Legend_of_Vox_Machina_title_card_2021.jpg

If you've never watched Critical Role Season 1 or read any of the stories, TLoVM the animated series is easy to jump into. Instead of being exposition heavy or thrusting viewers into a lot of world building, it starts with some classic fantasy – especially fantasy RPG – tropes like a drunken bar brawl and mercenaries being killed (a TPK) by a mysterious force. Those scenes are delivered with hefty dose of humor, a bit of blood, and some nudity.

This isn't the '80s Saturday morning Dungeons & Dragons cartoon for kids. While there is gore, it's less than an episode of Invincible and far less than that show's season 1 finale. Similarly, TLoVM has nudity and a bit of sex in the first few episodes, but far less than Game of Thrones.

Vox Machina is an established group at the start of the series, but one that needs money and has a less than stellar reputation. The land of Emon is being ravaged by a mysterious threat. A bit of desperation on both sides leads to the bickering heroes taking the job.

TLoVM is bawdy, bloody, and funny, but it also has heart. The first two episodes tell a complete story with an obvious hook at the end that leads into the rest of the episodes – and a stinger hinting at new threats.

Legend-of-Vox-Machina-premiere-date-Critical-Role-Amazon.png

The animation style has clean lines with some anime influence, but nothing excessively intricate or artsy. At the same, the art direction has style, like a scene that adds interest to the characters walking by showing it through a spider's web dotted with raindrops.

The first episode establishes the eight members of Vox Machina quickly with the following episodes building nicely upon each character's traits. Matthew Mercer voices several of the supporting characters, but in this format he doesn't have to cover all of the NPCs. The guest star talent includes David Tennant, Stephanie Beatriz, Tony Hale. Felica Day is the voice of a bandit.

And if they don't sell a stuffed toy bear version of Trinket at some point, Critical Role is missing out on a merchandise opportunity. TLoVM hits the perfect sweet spot between making Vex's companion bear fierce in battle, amusing when waiting, and adorable the rest of the time.

No critic has been given advance access to the entire first season, let alone all 24 episodes, so it's impossible to say how well the entire story arc plays out, but the first few episodes are entertaining and well made.

Critical-Role-Cast-Photo-2019-Anna-Azarov.jpg

You don't have to be a fan of Critical Role to enjoy The Legend of Vox Machina, but if you're a fan of fantasy adventure, TLoVM might turn you into Critter. The Legend of Vox Machina debuts on Amazon Prime on Friday, January 28, with the first three episodes. Critical Role will be holding watch parties on their Twitch channel at 7pm Tuesdays.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I came up in the mythical decade known as the 90's where needy, grimdark stuff ruled the world. I spent most of high school as not just an edgelord but a straight up pizza-cutter (all edge, no point) and burned out like a moth flying into the heart of the dying star. I'm so done with tryhard cynicism and darkness that GoT's very first chapter bounced off me like a nerf peashooter off the Hulk's rippling pecs.
I find myself on the opposite side of the fence with you on many thoughts, but THIS, I agree!! (Although, I came up in like the 70s, maan...)

Could never get past the 1st book, and I read it when it first came out. It was boring.

mewzard

Explorer
And, once again, they are really stupid in combat. Like, really annoyingly so. Just ignore the guy controlling the golems.....I really don't enjoy that.

They're actually a fairly smart group most times when push comes to shove. In the campaign, they scouted out the town via Wild Shape and Invisibility, before using Seeming to look like poor peasants and traveling the town with magical means for mid-range communications. But the show wants this to be one of their earlier adventures, so it makes sense to not quite be at that level yet.

The problem with going after the guy controlling the golems was, the instant they did, he just put them under his control. Percy's surprise shot worked out well.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
They're actually a fairly smart group most times when push comes to shove. In the campaign, they scouted out the town via Wild Shape and Invisibility, before using Seeming to look like poor peasants and traveling the town with magical means for mid-range communications. But the show wants this to be one of their earlier adventures, so it makes sense to not quite be at that level yet.

The problem with going after the guy controlling the golems was, the instant they did, he just put them under his control. Percy's surprise shot worked out well.
We'll just disagree on this. They clearly aren't first level, even third. I'd guess 5-7 easily. No group is that stupid all the time.

I've been watching the episode Q&A videos as they come out, and in the newest one they address that 1) they wanted the party to seem less powerful and experienced than they were in the campaign at this point to make the odds against them seem higher, and 2) the different spells are being more slowly introduced in an effort to avoid confusing members of the audience unfamiliar with D&D about what powers the characters have.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I've been watching the episode Q&A videos as they come out, and in the newest one they address that 1) they wanted the party to seem less powerful and experienced than they were in the campaign at this point to make the odds against them seem higher, and
Interesting. Unfortunately the side effect is that they swing from being completely incompetent to super hyper competent almost without warning - it's too jarring.

Like when an Enemy archer is shooting at Vex and she nonchalantly shoots her arrow, splits the guards arrow and then the same arrow goes on to kill the archer. This is the same encounter they were having a bit of trouble before. It's a real wiplash to watch the swings of competence in the same encounter!

BRayne

Adventurer
Interesting. Unfortunately the side effect is that they swing from being completely incompetent to super hyper competent almost without warning - it's too jarring.

Like when an Enemy archer is shooting at Vex and she nonchalantly shoots her arrow, splits the guards arrow and then the same arrow goes on to kill the archer. This is the same encounter they were having a bit of trouble before. It's a real wiplash to watch the swings of competence in the same encounter!

What trouble where they having in that encounter before? When Grog was ineffectually riddled with arrows? When they pushed through the room to the point that Percy, Vax, and Keyleth basically left Grog and Vex behind to mop up the guards? When Vex ducked into cover between her shots?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
What trouble where they having in that encounter before? When Grog was ineffectually riddled with arrows? When they pushed through the room to the point that Percy, Vax, and Keyleth basically left Grog and Vex behind to mop up the guards? When Vex ducked into cover between her shots?
Maybe it was just their reaction to the guards that threw me? It's been a minute. I just recall them doing an "oh crap" take but then not actually having any trouble whatsoever with the actual encounter.

But that's kind of the point, they are absolutely, hilariously, lethal in combat to the point where their "we're screw ups" attitude makes little sense.

We just finished episode nine. I now retract everything I said about characterization. It is a solid two-thumbs up. Just excellent. I find it interesting that it plays out much more like a D&D campaign than a Hollywood script. Very fun.

For naysayers, I am not really sure what more anyone could ask for out of a D&D cartoon. (Unless of course the violence, sex, cursing are a bother. That seems a valid criticism for some.)

mewzard

Explorer
We'll just disagree on this. They clearly aren't first level, even third. I'd guess 5-7 easily. No group is that stupid all the time.
I didn't mean level as in character level, I meant level as in level of skill, group cohesion, and planning.

I think they were level 9 at the start of the campaign being streamed (they had done the game for years in a semi-irregular schedule beforehand), and that was over twenty 3-5 hour sessions before the Briarwood Arc began with episode 24.

Of course, it was Pathfinder before they switched to 5e for the stream, so they did take a bit to get the hang of some changes.

Remove ads

Remove ads