Critical Role The Legend of Vox Machina: Bawdy, Bloody, and Funny

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

Legend_of_Vox_Machina_title_card_2021.jpg

If you've never watched Critical Role Season 1 or read any of the stories, TLoVM the animated series is easy to jump into. Instead of being exposition heavy or thrusting viewers into a lot of world building, it starts with some classic fantasy – especially fantasy RPG – tropes like a drunken bar brawl and mercenaries being killed (a TPK) by a mysterious force. Those scenes are delivered with hefty dose of humor, a bit of blood, and some nudity.

This isn't the '80s Saturday morning Dungeons & Dragons cartoon for kids. While there is gore, it's less than an episode of Invincible and far less than that show's season 1 finale. Similarly, TLoVM has nudity and a bit of sex in the first few episodes, but far less than Game of Thrones.

Vox Machina is an established group at the start of the series, but one that needs money and has a less than stellar reputation. The land of Emon is being ravaged by a mysterious threat. A bit of desperation on both sides leads to the bickering heroes taking the job.

TLoVM is bawdy, bloody, and funny, but it also has heart. The first two episodes tell a complete story with an obvious hook at the end that leads into the rest of the episodes – and a stinger hinting at new threats.

Legend-of-Vox-Machina-premiere-date-Critical-Role-Amazon.png

The animation style has clean lines with some anime influence, but nothing excessively intricate or artsy. At the same, the art direction has style, like a scene that adds interest to the characters walking by showing it through a spider's web dotted with raindrops.

The first episode establishes the eight members of Vox Machina quickly with the following episodes building nicely upon each character's traits. Matthew Mercer voices several of the supporting characters, but in this format he doesn't have to cover all of the NPCs. The guest star talent includes David Tennant, Stephanie Beatriz, Tony Hale. Felica Day is the voice of a bandit.

And if they don't sell a stuffed toy bear version of Trinket at some point, Critical Role is missing out on a merchandise opportunity. TLoVM hits the perfect sweet spot between making Vex's companion bear fierce in battle, amusing when waiting, and adorable the rest of the time.

No critic has been given advance access to the entire first season, let alone all 24 episodes, so it's impossible to say how well the entire story arc plays out, but the first few episodes are entertaining and well made.

Critical-Role-Cast-Photo-2019-Anna-Azarov.jpg

You don't have to be a fan of Critical Role to enjoy The Legend of Vox Machina, but if you're a fan of fantasy adventure, TLoVM might turn you into Critter. The Legend of Vox Machina debuts on Amazon Prime on Friday, January 28, with the first three episodes. Critical Role will be holding watch parties on their Twitch channel at 7pm Tuesdays.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've never seen a bard played that way....I mean, I play a bard now, and don't play that way. I've played for 4-5 decades, and not once has sex or hitting on barmaids (or men) ever come up. Not every game is played that way.....
Well, sure, and not every rock and roller was a Jimmy Page or Sammy Hagar either (just ask people about Charlie Watts). But that rock and roll lifestyle makes for better entertainment.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I don't agree....it just isn't that easy to do in 25-30 minutes. It really is a rare show that can do that. Also, why do all the characters have to have depth (I may regret asking that.....)?
I think it's less depth that is my issue than relatability. Likability? A reason to care? It's hard to put into words, but I just don't like or care about most of these people yet. That's a pretty fundamental aspect of storytelling.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Well, sure, and not every rock and roller was a Jimmy Page or Sammy Hagar either (just ask people about Charlie Watts). But that rock and roll lifestyle makes for better entertainment.
I was replying to those saying all bards are this way......not judging the show. Should have made that clear.

I don't agree we need everything we have gotten so far for that bard to be entertaining, but I'm not opposed to it.

Bolares

Hero
I realize I'm being a little unfair here, but by the same token it's not actually that difficult to get me onboard with 7 characters in three episodes of television. I want to know, by this point, what separates these characters from stock fantasy (and specifically D&D) tropes and feel them as individual characters. I'm not ruling out that there isn't time to do that, and I'm not giving up on the show at all, but I also shouldn't be so apathetic to the majority of your cast by the end of episode 1, let alone episode 3.
Sure, most of your criticism is valid. I just didn't think it was fair to call them underdeveloped after 3 episodes.

Honestly, it's not unfair to say that at least some of the characters at the start don't have much depth or feel generic. Even in interviews for the show some of the actors have admitted that the characters they've made for Campaigns 2 and 3 of Critical Role have a lot more background planned out than the Campaign 1 (and TLoVM) characters did, seeing as the newer characters were made with the knowledge of them being characters in a show versus the original set of characters having their origins in a home game. All the Vox Machina characters get time to grow and develop over the story, though.

That said, Percy (who the first season of TLoVM will focus on) was one of those characters that was made with a lot of background depth pre-planned, the actor/player saying that Percy was repurposed from a character idea he had came up with years prior.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It is not unfair to say they aren't fully formed (because they clearly aren't) ..... IMO, it is unfair to expect them all to be so. Or, maybe not unfair, but setting oneself up for disappointment if you expect it. I'm going to enjoy it for what it is, and see how it grows over time (I've never watched CR, it bores me to watch people play).

I do agree, we could have more from some of them, though....

jasper

Rotten DM
Reality should take into account the full circumstances not a narrow legalistic reading.

If every Vox Machina blurb relates it to D&D then Vox Machina reflects on D&D. The fact that VM producers don’t mention it, is irrelevant if everyone else does.
Dude it like "Shimmer" floor wax and desert cream product of the 70s. Depending on who the poster wants to be nice too.
D&D for the dragons and dungeon. Critical Role when being College/Adult humor.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I've been watching CR from the start. Every episode, every campaign, all the one-shots, etc. I also backed this project because I thought it would be cool to see where they went with it.

So far, I like what I see overall. The first episode is absolutely the weakest, but with the start of the Briarwood arc in episode three (possibly my favorite arc of the first campaign) I have high hopes moving forward.

The pacing feels a little off at times, but they're trying to do a lot with smaller, bite-sized episodes. At times I can also see what people are saying about the characters feeling one-dimensional, but honestly it took time to develop these characters over the course of hours long streaming episodes, it's going to take more than 90ish minutes of an animated show to get them there, but I'm fairly confident it'll happen.

Anyway, I enjoyed it overall, but I'm hoping the episodes continue to improve as they have been since the start was a little weak.

I think it's less depth that is my issue than relatability. Likability? A reason to care? It's hard to put into words, but I just don't like or care about most of these people yet. That's a pretty fundamental aspect of storytelling.
Well, that was the reason I couldn't get into The Expanse, but I'm not having a problem here.

But I guess what is relatable depends on who you are.

Remove ads

Remove ads