• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role The Legend of Vox Machina: Bawdy, Bloody, and Funny

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

Legend_of_Vox_Machina_title_card_2021.jpg

If you've never watched Critical Role Season 1 or read any of the stories, TLoVM the animated series is easy to jump into. Instead of being exposition heavy or thrusting viewers into a lot of world building, it starts with some classic fantasy – especially fantasy RPG – tropes like a drunken bar brawl and mercenaries being killed (a TPK) by a mysterious force. Those scenes are delivered with hefty dose of humor, a bit of blood, and some nudity.

This isn't the '80s Saturday morning Dungeons & Dragons cartoon for kids. While there is gore, it's less than an episode of Invincible and far less than that show's season 1 finale. Similarly, TLoVM has nudity and a bit of sex in the first few episodes, but far less than Game of Thrones.

Vox Machina is an established group at the start of the series, but one that needs money and has a less than stellar reputation. The land of Emon is being ravaged by a mysterious threat. A bit of desperation on both sides leads to the bickering heroes taking the job.

TLoVM is bawdy, bloody, and funny, but it also has heart. The first two episodes tell a complete story with an obvious hook at the end that leads into the rest of the episodes – and a stinger hinting at new threats.

Legend-of-Vox-Machina-premiere-date-Critical-Role-Amazon.png

The animation style has clean lines with some anime influence, but nothing excessively intricate or artsy. At the same, the art direction has style, like a scene that adds interest to the characters walking by showing it through a spider's web dotted with raindrops.

The first episode establishes the eight members of Vox Machina quickly with the following episodes building nicely upon each character's traits. Matthew Mercer voices several of the supporting characters, but in this format he doesn't have to cover all of the NPCs. The guest star talent includes David Tennant, Stephanie Beatriz, Tony Hale. Felica Day is the voice of a bandit.

And if they don't sell a stuffed toy bear version of Trinket at some point, Critical Role is missing out on a merchandise opportunity. TLoVM hits the perfect sweet spot between making Vex's companion bear fierce in battle, amusing when waiting, and adorable the rest of the time.

No critic has been given advance access to the entire first season, let alone all 24 episodes, so it's impossible to say how well the entire story arc plays out, but the first few episodes are entertaining and well made.

Critical-Role-Cast-Photo-2019-Anna-Azarov.jpg

You don't have to be a fan of Critical Role to enjoy The Legend of Vox Machina, but if you're a fan of fantasy adventure, TLoVM might turn you into Critter. The Legend of Vox Machina debuts on Amazon Prime on Friday, January 28, with the first three episodes. Critical Role will be holding watch parties on their Twitch channel at 7pm Tuesdays.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

It is kind of surprising that they've restricted the characters' powersets for the animated series versus what they could do in the actual play streaming show, though I think they may expand on them over time. Presumably they thought giving the characters access to all the spells their streaming counterparts knew might be confusing for those unfamiliar with D&D (who might mistake the wide repertoire of spells for the characters being able to theoretically do anything with magic they can imagine).

Most prominently, whereas Scanlan knew polymorph in the streaming show, it looks like in the series he'll be casting it from a scroll (whether he gets to keep it and use it long term IDK). Bigby's Hand seems to be his signature spell, plus they added a new "Scanlan's Foot" battering ram-type spell. He at least can cast lightning bolt, though not too well at the moment, so maybe the series will gradually expand their powersets overtime (such as when Keyleth casts Daylight for the first time in the series).

It is kind of surprising that they've restricted the characters' powersets for the animated series versus what they could do in the actual play streaming show, though I think they may expand on them over time. Presumably they thought giving the characters access to all the spells their streaming counterparts knew might be confusing for those unfamiliar with D&D (who might mistake the wide repertoire of spells for the characters being able to theoretically do anything with magic they can imagine).
Something something branding, mumble mumble non D&D viewers like magic to be consistent, Klaatu barada nikto color coded characters, lorem ipsum even use specific shapes in their magic.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Keyleth seems to have abilities that druids in all faction have but D&D never gives them because that would be too freehand.

Some of the choices are interesting. A thorn shield strong enough to stop a Dragon - sure. Thorn whips strong enough to knock out melee monsters a ok. But a basic light cantrip - nope not strong enough for that!

I'm not sure I like the the decision to have BOTH divine characters be suffering crisis of confidence at the same time and with the same effect (lessened spellcasting, though Pike's is worse) - it drags the story arc down (I recognize that they seem to be acknowledging the actual play where Pike was missing in action a lot due to the player's schedule but still).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think the difference is the Keyleth is actually inexperienced and learning while Pike is actually in crisis.

I think that's what they're going for, sure. But it's not conveyed great.

And for Pike, they haven't devoted even the bare minimum time as to why we she's in crisis and why we should care (other than her being in crisis is a royal pain for the rest of the party who could REALLY use a fully functioning cleric right about now!)

I watched CR1 (way too much time during the pandemic, can't devote near as much time to the current seasons) so I happen to know all of the stuff in the background. But for someone coming in fresh (as I'm sure a large % of people are), there's just not enough foundation laid here.

I just checked. I should have known where such a fun and cinematic power came from: Keyleth is using 4'e Wall of Thorns and Roots of Rescue.
Huh. The only 4Eism I'd noticed other than the pantheon is the existence of residuum (the all-purpose magic item-making dust from 4E).

Do you have a source saying Keyleth used Roots of Rescue? I'm genuinely curious if they're going to mine anything else from 4E to use.

OB1

Jedi Master
Some of the choices are interesting. A thorn shield strong enough to stop a Dragon - sure. Thorn whips strong enough to knock out melee monsters a ok. But a basic light cantrip - nope not strong enough for that!

I'm not sure I like the the decision to have BOTH divine characters be suffering crisis of confidence at the same time and with the same effect (lessened spellcasting, though Pike's is worse) - it drags the story arc down (I recognize that they seem to be acknowledging the actual play where Pike was missing in action a lot due to the player's schedule but still).
Pretty sure that was at the least the daylight spell (3rd level) not a light cantrip. I took her struggle with it as a sign it was her first time trying to cast it.

Remove ads

Remove ads