[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Perhaps, but The Wheel of Time was supposedly Big Budget as well, though I'm sure this one has an even larger budget. In retrospect, I think that show's problems where more in the writing, direction and acting than the budget, though that aspect didn't exactly shine.

On another note, this is a whole different set of people making this show, so its probably best not to read too much into it. I don't really have a problem with the trailer, though I think this actress's voice over does not compare favorably with Cate Blanchett's opening narration for the movies. That is perhaps unfair, but I can't see how the producers weren't inviting (or trying to evoke that opening narration) the inevitable comparison.

On the first point it seems adapting for Covid killed a lot of the budget of Wheel of Time season 1 and made for a money crunch to finish some episodes, which explains why it seems to have inconsistent production values, especially in the special effects department.

On the other note, I agree. That initially struck me as a really flat and lifeless reading of the "Ring Verse" to base a teaser trailer around. I liked it a bit better upon rewatching, so maybe I just have to get used to that actress' voice, but still... it's really not hard to get me excited about Middle Earth anything, and this teaser trailer didn't manage that low bar.

Well, this got a ton of character posters released today, none of which show any faces, but still interesting. What is sad though is one of them shows a sword with a horse head pommel and the ignorant masses are all screaming Rohan, without knowing that Rohan did not exist until the 3rd Age.
I suspect the guesses of the average movie fan are as good or better about what Amazon Middle Earth will look like as those of the dedicated Tolkien buff.

Stalker0

Legend
Perhaps, but The Wheel of Time was supposedly Big Budget as well
Wheel of Time was on a "stupidly high budget" from what I could tell.

I enjoyed the show, but it cost $10 million dollars per episode. That is just nuts, it has one decent named actor for salary, everyone else is fairly no name. The effects are ok, the shots are okay, but nothing has the expanse of GoT (which only cost 6 million in its early seasons, before the battle scenes, rendering dragons, and actor salaries began to increase, and it had a lot more named actors to start off with).

I enjoy the show until I'm reminded of that budget number, as it just baffles me what they spent it on.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wheel of Time was on a "stupidly high budget" from what I could tell.

I enjoyed the show, but it cost $10 million dollars per episode. That is just nuts, it has one decent named actor for salary, everyone else is fairly no name. The effects are ok, the shots are okay, but nothing has the expanse of GoT (which only cost 6 million in its early seasons, before the battle scenes, rendering dragons, and actor salaries began to increase, and it had a lot more named actors to start off with).

I enjoy the show until I'm reminded of that budget number, as it just baffles me what they spent it on.
$10 million only goes so far with production values. Avengers: Endgame had approximately ten times the budget per hour of screentime.

Entirely possible that it's a giant produce thing. That it's both the acorns and berries, though, makes me think that it's the hands that are smaller. The apple, also, appears to be somewhat normal-sized.

If you are talking about the one with the acorns, I wonder if they are special/magical/larger-than-normal acorns?

Remove ads