[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

TheSword

Legend
I see this series as a prequel to the trilogy. That’s what they are setting us up for… the rise of Sauron and the foundation of the things we know exist in the film trilogy. To be the series seems in keeping and consistent with that… which is all most people know about LOTR/Middle earth.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm willing to bet that this series will become increasingly popular as it goes on, and will eventually be known as a pinnacle of fantasy filmmaking. Like the LOTR trilogy, it is supremely confident in what it is trying to accomplish, understands cinematic storytelling and is executing that vision at a very high level. As @Parmandur mentioned about half a thread ago, it also is deeply rooted in Tolkien's themes (if not his 'cannon') and is weaving those themes brilliantly into the story.

Another small thing it does really well compared to so much other TV is set up it's mysteries. Sauran isn't revealed just because the filmmakers want to tease the audience, but because it makes sense for the character to be deceptive. We don't know who the Stranger is because the Stranger doesn't know. As knowledgable viewers, we get excited about the possibilities, but for the story, every choice makes sense. Mystery boxes aren't inherently bad, they've just been used so poorly for so long that it's easy to lump them all together as bad storytelling.

I find myself throwing on the LotR trilogy several times a year. I do that because of the craft of the film and it's characters. There is so much depth in so many moments, in so many scenes. RoP is following in those footsteps, a prequel done right.

To avoid banned specifics, I'll just say I am exceedingly familiar with Tolkien's writings about the 2nd Age, and I am totally okay with the changes in RoP. I just see it as icing on the cake, or ice cream with the cake, or some other enjoyable dessert metaphor!
If you are saying "not the same as the book" is a [+], then I agree.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm willing to bet that this series will become increasingly popular as it goes on, and will eventually be known as a pinnacle of fantasy filmmaking. Like the LOTR trilogy, it is supremely confident in what it is trying to accomplish, understands cinematic storytelling and is executing that vision at a very high level. As @Parmandur mentioned about half a thread ago, it also is deeply rooted in Tolkien's themes (if not his 'cannon') and is weaving those themes brilliantly into the story.

Another small thing it does really well compared to so much other TV is set up it's mysteries. Sauran isn't revealed just because the filmmakers want to tease the audience, but because it makes sense for the character to be deceptive. We don't know who the Stranger is because the Stranger doesn't know. As knowledgable viewers, we get excited about the possibilities, but for the story, every choice makes sense. Mystery boxes aren't inherently bad, they've just been used so poorly for so long that it's easy to lump them all together as bad storytelling.

I find myself throwing on the LotR trilogy several times a year. I do that because of the craft of the film and it's characters. There is so much depth in so many moments, in so many scenes. RoP is following in those footsteps, a prequel done right.
I already want to rewatch it, and see how it plays knowing the shape of what's going on.

mariegriffiths

First Post
Excellent post by

TheSword

To totally slam dunk the argument the Hobbit should have a Wolverhampton accent. Because here is Tolkien the man himself using it.

Lenny Henry should have used his normal accent. They could have drafted in the account that you found in the Witcher 3 game proving that the accents work in fantatsy. They could hae drafted in Anya Chalotra from The Witcher but used her native Wolverhampton accent.
My Great Great Great Grandfather was a gardener called Sam that was the previous resident of the Cottage Tolkien lived in near Wolverhampton who established the beautiful garden there that so impressed Tolkien that he drew it.

My feet are not furry and ai dont have a large shoe size though.

Remove ads