[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It will never not be strange to me that someone’s grandchildren can hold their IP, decades after their passing. It’s absurd that anyone still has control of fictional works from before my parents were born.
I mean, better that Tolkien's descendants benefit than merely corporations: much less gross Tham the absurd work for hire creations of pop cure phenomenon like Captain America or Batman.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
She just knew she had to get off that boat. Arriving in Valinor might removed her obsession/quest
She might have been Galadriel. ;)
Can you explain this? What have you read that makes her behavior depicted in RoP so hard to swallow?
She took part in no major battles and while she had a temper, she was against what Feanor and company were about(war with Morgoth).

That makes sense.

I guess I'm okay with a depiction of her pursuant of an arc to that mature and wise Galadriel. Irrational actions resulting from grief is something people can relate to, and the death of her brothers is textual - honestly, I'm surprised they don't include all of them, but I can't remember how the other two died.

I think the reaction depends on familiarity with the setting, as often in this thread.

Regular person (my folks, who have no knowledge of fantasy): "bad-ass elf girl, cool, too bad she didn't apear in LotR".

Informed watcher: "I know she isn't like the Galadriel we know, but I can give it a little leeway because she'll probably mature with time, she must be in her twenties after all".

More informed watcher: "She's already 6,500 years old and spend literally an age being taught philosophy by Melian. Compared to her, the dalai-lama should be a rebel teenager."

Actually, if anything, she behaves like a human with pointy ears, not unlike players playing an elf. The thrill of Elrond chastizing about being there with Isildur when Mankind failed, or other rare scenes where elves acted like elves, seems an little lost.

Last edited:

Elves are nuts, but not THAT nuts.

Amroth was on a boat within sight of shore and drowned trying to swim back in a storm. Many Noldor drowned during the Kinslaying. Voronwe's shipmates drowned in a storm. The only reason he survived was that some higher power saved him.

Galadriel wouldn't have had the endurance to swim the entire ocean and get back.

They are establishing new canon. They are just setting a new, high bar. Amazondriel in the next season will certainly never feel tiredness, so they can afford to let her swim across the sea.

I am not sure this is an example of "not Galadriel" in my mind. Because she's possibly the greatest elf after Fëanor and possibly Luthien. If Fingolfin can ride to Angband and challenge Morgoth to a single duel (and expect to have a chance of winning) after frightening all of Angband's host, an "even superior elf" might be able to be that badass. It's not explicitely within their abilities, but not "out of character".

I'd be easier if the she was a totally new character because of her reckless behaviour -- that fits better the other noldor princes of her immediate family.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I guess I'm okay with a depiction of her pursuant of an arc to that mature and wise Galadriel.
That mature and wise Galadriel IS the one you are seeing, or should be. She 3422 years old as of the year the show is set in. She's not some teenage girl that needs to mature. She did that thousands of years before.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, if you want to complain about how the show differs from the book, I'm going to need you to take it to another thread. This is a [+] thread, and that complaint is dominating the thread to the extent that it's hard for anybody to discuss the show in any other context. Feel free to start a new thread, but please do not continue that line of conversation in this thread. Thanks, folks.

I felt that this Galadriel felt a bit flat. I was hoping for a bit more of Cate Blanchett's otherworldly Galadriel. Maybe you need another 3000 years to reach the "otherworldly elf" level?

On the other hand, Elrond I quite liked, though he came off as even more human than Galadriel.

MarkB

Legend
The thrill of Elrond chastizing about being there with Isildur when Mankind failed, or other rare scenes where elves acted like elves, seems an little lost.
I wonder whether we'll see a friendship established between Elrond and Isildur, just to make that failure feel more personal when it happens.

Remove ads