[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Lol, I was active on Tolkien forums when those movies were coming out. Jackson made a lot of people deeply, deeply angry.
Yeah, I remember it... and it is still boggling.

[Naive mode] Why do people get angry about this things? Personally, I'm not crazy about the series. I find it OK at best, but getting angry? Offended? Thinking that the holy scripture of Tolkien has been desacrated? It will never make any sense to me. [/naive mode]

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We're getting bogged down in the "This is/isn't Tolkien" discussion again. The fact is that it's been licensed and approved by the Tolkien Estate, and they're really the only ones with any authority to make that distinction.
It will never not be strange to me that someone’s grandchildren can hold their IP, decades after their passing. It’s absurd that anyone still has control of fictional works from before my parents were born.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I feel like that was reinforced when Elrond was talking to Durin and strongly implied that he let him win the test of endurance. Basically if Elrond can outhammer a dwarf, its reasonable that Galadriel could swim across the sea. Elves are just nuts, its not Galadriel specifically.
Elves are nuts, but not THAT nuts.

Amroth was on a boat within sight of shore and drowned trying to swim back in a storm. Many Noldor drowned during the Kinslaying. Voronwe's shipmates drowned in a storm. The only reason he survived was that some higher power saved him.

Galadriel wouldn't have had the endurance to swim the entire ocean and get back.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Halbrand sees her weakness, and has been manipulating it for his own ends. That's far from a mary sue.
If Liam Neeson had played a character doing all the things Galadriel did and behaved the same way she did in Rings of Power, I think everyone would nod and say "yeah, that checks out." I honestly think audiences -- no matter how they feel about women -- just aren't used to seeing a petite blonde being 100% badass like she is.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If Liam Neeson had played a character doing all the things Galadriel did and behaved the same way she did in Rings of Power, I think everyone would nod and say "yeah, that checks out." I honestly think audiences -- no matter how they feel about women -- just aren't used to seeing a petite blonde being 100% badass like she is.
I mean, she does less unrealistic things than what's his name in Mission Impossible movies.....

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
[Naive mode] Why do people get angry about this things? Personally, I'm not crazy about the series. I find it OK at best, but getting angry? Offended? Thinking that the holy scripture of Tolkien has been desacrated? It will never make any sense to me. [/naive mode]
Yeah, I think the Wheel of Time series is awful, but I'm not chasing people around the internet to know that I feel that way, especially in settings where people who like the series are gathered.

Remove ads