[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

MarkB

Legend
My goodness, that was good. I liked the new Game of Thrones, but this is in another league.
I haven't seen the new Game of Thrones, but I did get the theme tune playing in the back of my head every time they did one of those pans across the Middle Earth map.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Yes Poppy and Nori work for me, but I'm perplexed both by Elrond and especially Galadriel. I get that she's supposed to be extremely intense and driven, but - in the first two episodes, I found her somewhat unconvincing.
I read, some are complaining that she's not feminine enough. 🙄 Galadriel is the least of my complaints.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
P
I think you're right about that. I don't think Elrond shouldn't be capable. It's just that we see him maneuvering against Galadriel while at the same time professing friendship, which leans too far into the dishonest politician trope for the conception I have of the character.
Fair enough. I’m certainly not discounting the possibility that by the end of the season I will fully agree with you. Amazon is the company that…did what it did…to the Wheel of Time, after all. I just don’t think that what they’ve shown is so much cunning and duplicitous as canny and skilled at social and political maneuvering. I don’t think his professed friendship is false on any level, judging purely from what has been shown.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I decided long ago to treat this series as a prequel to the films - and that it would follow the film version of the characters more closely than the books.

I believe in so doing, I can enjoy the series for being it’s own thing (same approach I took with Wheel of Time). I’ll reserve judgment on it as a whole until the season is finished, but so far I’m enjoying it.

Last edited:

reelo

Hero
I just finished the pilot. While the visuals are certainly stunning, I find the power-dynamics of the elves quite irritating. If we go by the Silmarillion, Ereinion Gil-Galad is the son of Fingon, which would make Galadriel his first cousin once removed.
Alternatively, Tolkien had planned for Gil-Galad to be the son of Orodreth, son of Angrod (Christopher Tolkien decided against this, but later regretted that decision) because it allowed Turgon to become High King first after the death of Fingon.
This would have made Galadriel Gil-Galad's great aunt.
In both of these cases she should have commanded a lot more respect from Gil-Galad than is shown in the show. She certainly wasn't spring-chicken anymore by the 2nd Age, and certainly older and wiser than Ereinion.

Don't get me wrong: I want to like the show but I'm afraid they're taking "creative liberties" that chafe heavily with established lore.

Ryujin

Legend
I just finished the pilot. While the visuals are certainly stunning, I find the power-dynamics of the elves quite irritating. If we go by the Silmarillion, Ereinion Gil-Galad is the son of Fingon, which would make Galadriel his first cousin once removed.
Alternatively, Tolkien had planned for Gil-Galad to be the son of Orodreth, son of Angrod (Christopher Tolkien decided against this, but later regretted that decision) because it allowed Turgon to become High King first after the death of Fingon.
This would have made Galadriel Gil-Galad's great aunt.
In both of these cases she should have commanded a lot more respect from Gil-Galad than is shown in the show. She certainly wasn't spring-chicken anymore by the 2nd Age, and certainly older and wiser than Ereinion.

Don't get me wrong: I want to like the show but I'm afraid they're taking "creative liberties" that chafe heavily with established lore.
Information from The Silmarillion is explicitly off limits to them. They don't have the rights. They can use what's in The Lord of the Rings and its appendices. Pretty sure that all you listed is off the table.

Remove ads