[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

There are a ton of different edits. Topher Grace, of "That '70s Show" fame, likes doing fan edits of films and did a 85 minute version that's supposedly very good, though I've not seen it.

That is way too short and cuts like that can be pretty insulting to the people who made the movies, especially if the cuts remove actors completely from a movie, just because someone thought they were irrelevant. But yes, The Hobbit trilogy had some filler in it, as can be seen by the extended cut of each including maybe 5 minutes or so of extra footage, compared to 30+ minutes added into each film in the LotR trilogy for their extended versions. And while all the Necromancer stuff is in there to pad the movies, as well as to explain where Gandalf was always disappearing off to, I would like to see the three films split differently: one or two for all the actual Hobbit stuff and one for all the Necromancer stuff. But still cut back on a lot, or all, of the battle against Smaug inside the mountain, since that did not happen at all, and get rid of the inter-species romance sub-plot.

And it's way better than The Hobbit. ... and the novel.
throws down gauntlet
You, sah, have insulted a great piece of literature. Apologize, or we shall have words.
It’s alright. It’s amazing how in England a few miles can be the difference between totally different accents. I remember an Australian comedian being mocked by the audience because he couldn’t tell the difference between a Manchester accent and a Liverpool one. He then riposted by saying they were only 30 miles apart and asking the audience if they could tell the difference between a Sidney accent and a Perth accent which was 2400 miles apart. I thought fair play.
Sort of like Americans think 100 years is a long time and Brits think 100 miles is a long way.

Ryujin

Legend
That is way too short and cuts like that can be pretty insulting to the people who made the movies, especially if the cuts remove actors completely from a movie, just because someone thought they were irrelevant. But yes, The Hobbit trilogy had some filler in it, as can be seen by the extended cut of each including maybe 5 minutes or so of extra footage, compared to 30+ minutes added into each film in the LotR trilogy for their extended versions. And while all the Necromancer stuff is in there to pad the movies, as well as to explain where Gandalf was always disappearing off to, I would like to see the three films split differently: one or two for all the actual Hobbit stuff and one for all the Necromancer stuff. But still cut back on a lot, or all, of the battle against Smaug inside the mountain, since that did not happen at all, and get rid of the inter-species romance sub-plot.
I feel differently. To me, turning a nice little story into many hours of drawn-out crap is insulting to the source material. I don't feel that way about the LotR movies. Not even the extended cuts. You know what I think is insulting to the people who worked on those movies? Taking the scenes in which those (not existing in the book) Orcs were involved, in which actors took hours of sitting in a chair in order to have prosthetics applied, only to have them scrubbed from the film with CGI.

Stalker0

Legend
One reason I’m liking the show is that while the characters are archetypal right now, they are played just so darn well.

I can feel nori bursting with wonder, I can feel the raw determination in Galadriel, I like the Elrond that is one a bit awkward in his action but the next so confident when he is in his element, etc.

I got more emotion from these actors in one episode than I got in a season of WoT

OB1

Jedi Master
One reason I’m liking the show is that while the characters are archetypal right now, they are played just so darn well.

I can feel nori bursting with wonder, I can feel the raw determination in Galadriel, I like the Elrond that is one a bit awkward in his action but the next so confident when he is in his element, etc.

I got more emotion from these actors in one episode than I got in a season of WoT
And to add to this, with clear emotion you get clear conflict and with clear conflict you get an engaging story that you as the viewer feels. GoT had it for the first few seasons, so far HoD doesn't.

And for the record (sorry for the side rant), I think the end of GoT is Martin's issue, not D and D. The reason he hasn't finished the books is because he can't figure out a way to get the characters to do what he wants for the story he wants to tell. D&D just said forget it, we'll force it so we can finish. Unless Martin decides to allow his ending to change, he'll never finish.

Remove ads