[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Stalker0

Legend
And for the record (sorry for the side rant), I think the end of GoT is Martin's issue, not D and D. The reason he hasn't finished the books is because he can't figure out a way to get the characters to do what he wants for the story he wants to tell. D&D just said forget it, we'll force it so we can finish. Unless Martin decides to allow his ending to change, he'll never finish.
I’ll disagree.

Deneareyes ending failed because it was too sudden and came out the absolute dumbest moment possible. Take some time to stretch that out, and put some real pressure that causes her to have to make the “key evil decision”, and I could absolutely buy it.

Jaime - also can work in the context of a “drug addiction”. Cersei is his drug, and drugs bring down great men. His ending is an utter tragedy but completely workable, just don’t have him bed and leave brienne right before to make him look like an utter douche.

Bran- just have bran do anything (and I mean anything) to help beat the apocalypse, and suddenly you have some real cred for people to consider him king. Or go dark side and have manipulate to become king behind the scenes…either works.

Etc

The ending can mostly work if you actually spend some effort and time to work the angles

OB1

Jedi Master
I’ll disagree.

Deneareyes ending failed because it was too sudden and came out the absolute dumbest moment possible. Take some time to stretch that out, and put some real pressure that causes her to have to make the “key evil decision”, and I could absolutely buy it.

Jaime - also can work in the context of a “drug addiction”. Cersei is his drug, and drugs bring down great men. His ending is an utter tragedy but completely workable, just don’t have him bed and leave brienne right before to make him look like an utter douche.

Bran- just have bran do anything (and I mean anything) to help beat the apocalypse, and suddenly you have some real cred for people to consider him king. Or go dark side and have manipulate to become king behind the scenes…either works.

Etc

The ending can mostly work if you actually spend some effort and time to work the angles
It's been 10 years and Martin hasn't figured it out is all I'm saying. /endthreadjack

My opinion: Pretty but boring -- the first genre series that I actually fell asleep while watching. Not sure how the writers and directors could manage to spend that much money and end up with a story that hasn't got the depth of most video games.

I feel happy for anybody that enjoys this series, I really tried to at least be intrigued by the mysteries and the beautiful scenery but the dialogue and pacing is GOT season 7 and 8 bad. I wish you all the best but fortunately we have a virtual endless supply of alternatives these days to choose from and I'm out.

Just my opinion.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It's been 10 years and Martin hasn't figured it out is all I'm saying. /endthreadjack
I don't think it's the ending that Martin has a problem with. He justs writes slowly (or writes and rewrites and rewrites....). After taking two years for each of the first three books, book 4 took him 5 years to write. Book 5 took 6 years. That was 2011, so we have been waiting 11 years for book 6. The ending is book 7, so I don't see that being the problem.

As someone from the West Midlands and currently living there I can say that there aren’t any characters with a Black Country accent in TRoP. (Though Lenny Henry is from Dudley).

These are two good examples of that accent which is really distinctive. Gran and the Bloody Baron. Both from the Witcher 3 game. You definitely know it when you hear it. You can also hear it in the Peaky Blinders series, which is set in and around Birmingham.

So Sean Austin in LOTR had a West Country accent common to SW england - particularly Cornwall. The quintessential farmers accent. Which I guess is easy to confuse with Black Country because of the name. In the first video with Gran, Little Jonny has a classic West Country accent.

Nicol Williamson actually speaks pretty good RP Queens English without any accent at all when reading The Hobbit. Though he tends to use Yorkshire accents for dwarves… which I’m sure started a trend.

The Harfoots definitely have an Irish base with there own twang. That’s been corroborated by producers. To be honest I think they’re trying to evoke the British traveler community accent which also has a strong Irish twang and would make a lot of sense in the context. But maybe they’re downplaying that in interviews.
Given Tolkien's Backstory, a rural West Midlands accent would probably have been closer to what he envisioned. But West Country is a standard "drama school" accent, as is oirish.
It has to be said: All this "Bruther" stuff puts me in mind of Alexi Sales, who is from Anfield/Liverpool. (I suck at figuring regional British accents.)
My dad is from Anfield. I've moved around a lot though, so my accent is all messed up.
Sort of like Americans think 100 years is a long time and Brits think 100 miles is a long way.
I'm pretty sure there are different accents for different New York boroughs. People just aren't sufficiently familiar with them (even in the US) to recognise them. If you aren't familiar with an accent, you tend to hear something you are familiar with, rather than label it "unidentified accent". But people in the US tend to be very bad at telling British accents from Australian, and they are a lot more than a 100 miles apart.

Ther is a large Irish population in Liverpool. By boat Ireland isn't much further than Manchester. The accent actually extends south and west through Cheshire to the Welsh boarder. The Manchester accent, on the other hand, extends north and east through the mill towns of the Lancashire hills. There exists a mid-point accent in Warrington.

As for Irish, a Belfast accent is very very different to a Dublin accent, and neither is much like drama school oirish.

I don't think it's the ending that Martin has a problem with. He justs writes slowly (or writes and rewrites and rewrites....). After taking two years for each of the first three books, book 4 took him 5 years to write. Book 5 took 6 years. That was 2011, so we have been waiting 11 years for book 6. The ending is book 7, so I don't see that being the problem.
Martin conceptualised himself into a corner. A Song of Ice and Fire was written to deconstruct Lord of the Rings. Tolkien was a theist, and as such "good deeds are rewarded" is one of the fundamental laws of his universe. So, in Martin's universe, good deeds are punished.

The problem is, one of those tropes that Martin set out to deconstruct is "has a satisfying ending". Things are put right, villains are punished, and at least some people get to live happily ever after. Martin can't write that without undermining his initial concept. In fact "doesn't have an ending" is probably the right solution.

The Dwarves "delved too deep" and awakened the Balrog, so he was already in the heart of the mountain by this time. Their greed for Mithril presumably results in the downfall of their kingdom. And pretty sure that's what is in the "Pulp Fiction" chest.
This is what is said in LotR. But as it is spoken by a character, rather than with authorial authority, it might not be true. "Unreliable Narrator" is an authorial tool Tolkien touches on himself with Bilbo's first account of acquiring the ring. It's something the showrunners can make much more use of. The thing about history is it often isn't completely accurate, and the LotR appendices are presented as history.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases