[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

TheSword

Legend
So I made a mistake… a big mistake.

I mistakenly watched a YouTube video detailing a fans ‘dismantling’ of the series…. In order to try and understand why it has been rated so badly by the audience. Twenty minutes of reactionary, racist, bitter, jealous complaining about the most minor details in the series.

It was the very definition of toxic fandom. One of the good things about a series like this is that it gets brought to light and action can be taken. I fear we need another Mark Hamil to step forward and say you aren’t real fans. Peter Jackson might be able to do it. Maybe. He should.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend

I mistakenly watched a YouTube video detailing a fans ‘dismantling’ of the series…. Twenty minutes of reactionary, racist, bitter, jealous complaining about the most minor details in the series.

It was the very definition of toxic fandom. The best thing about this series is that it gets brought to light and action can be taken. I fear we need another Mark Hamil to step forward and say you aren’t real fans. Peter Jackson might be able to do it. Maybe. He should.

Dont watch stuff like that. You'll get more pop ups of similar stuff.

Last edited:

I mistakenly watched a YouTube video detailing a fans ‘dismantling’ of the series…. Twenty minutes of reactionary, racist, bitter, jealous complaining about the most minor details in the series.

It was the very definition of toxic fandom. The best thing about this series is that it gets brought to light and action can be taken. I fear we need another Mark Hamil to step forward and say you aren’t real fans. Peter Jackson might be able to do it. Maybe. He should.
Neil Gaiman had a go, but he is having a hard enough time with his own toxic fans. Peter Jackson has a snit on, because he wasn't consulted. But given the mess he made of The Hobbit, I can't blame them.

The thing is, whenever someone consumes media they create their own version of the story in their imagination. From the look and sound of the characters, to the deeper meanings. Before the internet, you would only be exposed to other people's versions of the story if you studied literature at a higher level. In which case, you would have guidance from a teacher. Without that training, people feel they are being told their version is wrong, which equates to an attack on their core identity. So they lash out.

Ryujin

Legend
Given Tolkien's Backstory, a rural West Midlands accent would probably have been closer to what he envisioned. But West Country is a standard "drama school" accent, as is oirish.

My dad is from Anfield. I've moved around a lot though, so my accent is all messed up.

I'm pretty sure there are different accents for different New York boroughs. People just aren't sufficiently familiar with them (even in the US) to recognise them. If you aren't familiar with an accent, you tend to hear something you are familiar with, rather than label it "unidentified accent". But people in the US tend to be very bad at telling British accents from Australian, and they are a lot more than a 100 miles apart.

Ther is a large Irish population in Liverpool. By boat Ireland isn't much further than Manchester. The accent actually extends south and west through Cheshire to the Welsh boarder. The Manchester accent, on the other hand, extends north and east through the mill towns of the Lancashire hills. There exists a mid-point accent in Warrington.

As for Irish, a Belfast accent is very very different to a Dublin accent, and neither is much like drama school oirish.
I don't have a lot of trouble differentiating between the various English accents and Australian, but Australian and New Zealand accents tend to throw me. I don't find it easy to differentiate the "a" = "u" in a New Zealand accent in realtime.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't have a lot of trouble differentiating between the various English accents and Australian, but Australian and New Zealand accents tend to throw me. I don't find it easy to differentiate the "a" = "u" in a New Zealand accent in realtime.

Being a kiwi I don't usually have trouble with Aussie/Canadian/English or Yank accent and can sometimes get a regional one. We also speak a bit faster I think than USA.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases