[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Being a kiwi I don't usually have trouble with Aussie/Canadian/English or Yank accent and can sometimes get a regional one. We also speak a bit faster I think than USA.

Are you saying that you can tell the difference between a Canadian accent and an American one? I'm not sure I believe it. (I mean, I can see you being able to tell the difference between a Toronto accent and a Brooklyn accent, say, because frankly everyone can (though they might not know that that is what they are) but a general US/CAN average accent?

I'm from Vancouver, and while visiting Japan, I met some Americans who said, "You're Canadian? But you have no accent!", to which I responded "You're just saying that because I sound like people on TV. That's because most people you see on TV are from Vancouver."

It's an exaggeration with some small truth to it.

Ryujin

Legend
Are you saying that you can tell the difference between a Canadian accent and an American one? I'm not sure I believe it. (I mean, I can see you being able to tell the difference between a Toronto accent and a Brooklyn accent, say, because frankly everyone can (though they might not know that that is what they are) but a general US/CAN average accent?

I'm from Vancouver, and while visiting Japan, I met some Americans who said, "You're Canadian? But you have no accent!", to which I responded "You're just saying that because I sound like people on TV. That's because most people you see on TV are from Vancouver."

It's an exaggeration with some small truth to it.
There is a reason why so many American newscasters, over the years, have been Canadian.

Ryujin

Legend
Sure but an accent is based on the community you surround yourself with. One family of plummy speakers surrounded by a community of country bumpkins isn’t necessarily going to develop a strong accent in their children if those children are mixing with the farmers and the children.

That said accents can develop according to social circumstances as well. I attended a lecture by the author of the book Peaky Blinders is inspired by and he explained that the Brummie accent became much stronger and defined as a result of immigration into the manufacturing city of Birmingham in the mid 1900’s.

The comedian John Bishop, who has a beautiful Scouse accent explained that his accent became stronger when as a kid his family had their inner city tenements in Liverpool knocked down and they were relocated to the suburbs. His whole community developed a stronger scouse accent because of self consciousness about not being seen as Liverpudlian any more. In his words they became more scouse than scousers.

A nice little video… that also shows off the Bob Bryson’s welsh accent.

On the other hand I would spend a couple of weeks at a rental cottage, in an area frequented by Western New Yorkers, and come home sounding like I was from Rochester.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Which is not the case. JK hates the fantasy genre, and has never read any of those.
Parallel evolution is a thing. The author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels apparently never heard of Vampire: the Masquerade before she published, but the show based on her novels, True Blood, basically comes off like World of Darkness: The Very Horny TV Show. Sometimes, certain ideas just make sense to multiple authors independently. (And I don't believe for a minute that those involved in the show didn't have a complete set of oWoD books on hand.)

Ryujin

Legend
Parallel evolution is a thing. The author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels apparently never heard of Vampire: the Masquerade before she published, but the show based on her novels, True Blood, basically comes off like World of Darkness: The Very Horny TV Show. Sometimes, certain ideas just make sense to multiple authors independently. (And I don't believe for a minute that those involved in the show didn't have a complete set of oWoD books on hand.)
And some things are just so culturally ubiquitous that even if you don't have direct interaction, they can bleed through from other sources.

And as an unintentional "Vampire: The Masquerade" tribute, it was far better than the on purpose "Kindred: The Embraced." Curse Aaron Spelling and his ilk.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases