[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

I really wish there was a thread about the sow,, and a thread for super fans. Because some of us don't want to know more than is in the show. Nor to wade through pages of posts to talk about it. Oh well. Have fun debating details.
No one KNOWS anything, apart from they are not sticking slavishly to the source material (some of which they are not even allowed to use).

The thing is, the 3 elven rings were crafted after the others, iirc, not before.
Which again, doesn't make any sense. Why would the elves create rings that could be controlled by the One Ring if the knew of the One Ring? It makes more sense if the Elven Rings are crafted first, and the One Ring is specifically made to dominate them.

carrot

Explorer
Which again, doesn't make any sense. Why would the elves create rings that could be controlled by the One Ring if the knew of the One Ring? It makes more sense if the Elven Rings are crafted first, and the One Ring is specifically made to dominate them.
The One Ring was forged last, after the 7,9 and the 3. Celebrimbor sensed the One as it was created, was aware of what it meant. He immediately stopped wearing the 3 and hid them.They were not used again until after the One was cut from Saurons hand.

reelo

Hero
They didn't. The way I understand it, the events run like this:
Celebrimbor and Annatar/Sauron crafted the 7 and the 9 thogether, after an unspecified number of "minor" rings.
Annatar/Sauron disappears, presumably to Mordor.
Celebrimbor crafts the 3, in secrecy, using the knowledge gaines from Annatar.
Sauron crafts the One. The Elves and Sauron become aware of each other's betrayal as soon as the One is created.
Enraged (because he cannot control the 3) Sauron lays waste to Eregion, reclaiming the 7 (actually just 6, as Durin III was already given one of the 7) and the 9, but fails to claim the 3.

carrot

Explorer
Yep - sounds about right - he couldn’t control the 3 because no-one was wearing them. And he failed to claim them because they were hidden and he couldn’t find them.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I know what would happen if mortals tried to invade heaven! And Sauron knows the power and character of the Valar as well as anyone. He must have known what would happen (and Tolkien's letter suggests this was the case).
Sauron wanted to create a war between the Númenóreans and the Valar. He didn’t count on the intervention of Ilúvatar.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Heh. Isn't it funny.

Tolkien writes this story, and everyone still claims that the Valar are still good angels despite committing mass genocide and forcing the rest of the world to be less powerful.

Weiss and Hickman tell pretty much exactly the same story and people will shout until they are blue in the face that the gods of Krynn cannot possibly be good and they are all evil and everyone should abandon the gods...

I mean, it's basically just a retelling of the Atlantis myth in both cases. But, in one, we are supposed to think that all the Valar are still forces for good and whatnot, while in the other, despite following almost exactly the same story, we're supposed to think that the Gods of Krynn are all evil dicks.

Just something that struck me.

Remove ads