The Meeting Place - Discussions and so forth

W

WizO_Pounamu

Hmmm... what's the usual ratio of parking : things you really want in NYC? I heard it was murder... :devil:

I really doubt a nightclub would have it's own parking lot, but what about a building nearby?
There's still supposed to be another agency working from TMP's building ("WIZO") although to be honest I'm wondering about it... but if they're a small enough department not to have a building to themselves, they'd probably be sharing someone else's parking too I guess.

How about the block across the road? Not too far, not close enough to be unrealistically convenient in the rain. ;) I'd have to relook at where the businesses are set though, so it doesnt clash with anyone.

*starts hunting down that file...*

- Pounamu

S

Ssussunriyh

Here's a quote from the tourist's guidebook I have...

"Think twice about driving a car to get around Manhattan. Traffic is nightmarish, parking on the street is almost impossible, and parking garages are outrageously expensive. If you must arrive by car [when first coming to the city], it's best to stash it away in a parking garage and then use alternative means of transportation [taxis, buses, subways, or walking] to get around.

"Many hotels [and big businesses] have either private parking or a special arrangement with a nearby lot. (Even the most expensive hotels charge for parking.) Parking lots are not hard to come by, though they are expensive.

"If you opt to park on the street, make sure you understand the the risk you run with frequent burglaries. Parking tickets are given without mercy, so don't park at a meter that isn't working, and be sure you understand the restrictions posted so your car isn't towed - something that happens all too frequently."

W

WizO_Pounamu

*chuckles* I thought as much.

So although there's likely to be a building/garage near-ish, you'd be paying through the nose to use it.
Unless of course anyone thinks they should have solved the issue of inner city parking by then? ;)

Upon reading Tharvious' aliens and mutants email, I had a thought about cultural setting background...

Would anyone care to write up some Urban Myths for New York, 2030? You know the kind, stories that get spread about in school (either based on warped fact or really really good imaginations) and even when you're all grown up they somehow manage to survive in the back of your mind...

For example, one that I think would be most appropriate is rat or lizard folk in the sewer systems... ;)

- Pounamu

R

Reesa

You mean.. it's not true!? I don't have to be scared of crocks when I'm in Florida and using the rest room? *giggles*

W

WizO_Pounamu

I wouldn't go that far... ;)
But we're not in Florida. :p

I'd be wary of walking over to your car alone though, even in a garage.
:angel:

- Pounamu

S

Ssussunriyh

WizO Pounamu said:
Unless of course anyone thinks they should have solved the issue of inner city parking by then? ;)

Yeah, right...:heehee

Would anyone care to write up some Urban Myths for New York, 2030? You know the kind, stories that get spread about in school (either based on warped fact or really really good imaginations) and even when you're all grown up they somehow manage to survive in the back of your mind...

For example, one that I think would be most appropriate is rat or lizard folk in the sewer systems... ;)

If you check out the Menace Manual for D20 Modern, there's all sorts of weird and nasty stuff you can use...

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

WizO Pounamu said:
Upon reading Tharvious' aliens and mutants email, I had a thought about cultural setting background...

- Pounamu
Urban Myths? Sure thing, I'll work on writing up a few tonight and should have at least one up by morning.

As for the rat and lizardfolk.... *shifty eyed expression* :smirk:

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Well, here's my first shot at an urban legend style story, I hope everyone enjoys it even if it won't work for the setting.

The Bearded Prophet
"It all started about three years ago, this friend of mine was walking through Times Square with his girlfriend when all of a sudden he saw this... unusual person standing just outside of his line of vision. It was strange, or so he said. This person was about six feet tall, he was wearing dark sunglasses, it was a bright day, he had a long trenchcoat on, it was windy, nothing out of the ordinary there... but he had this beard that was almost a foot long. I know, I know, that's not impossible, look at that old band ZZ Top from fifty years ago, but that's not the point... This person looked like he was only twenty years old. So anyway, my friend was walking by and he couldn't help but look at this guy.

"His girlfriend elbowed him in the side and told him to stop staring, and he would have listened too, but he just couldn't make himself look away, and when he got close enough, the person noticed. He waited until he was right alongside my friend and reached out, grabbing a hold of his collar and yelling,
'All will be revealed! All will be revealed!' at the top of his lungs, then let go of him and walked away as if nothing had happened.

"My friend looked at his girlfriend and smirked, kind of nervously, you know what I mean? Anyway, he was freaked out by it, but he said to her,
'I have no idea what that guy was talking about, but that freaked me out.' His girlfriend could only reply, 'Neither do I, but he did grab you by the collar and yell at you, and his breath smelled like cheap whiskey, I wouldn't worry about it.'

"So they left, heading back to his apartment. When they got there, a note was pinned to his door, just tacked up there like some passer-by had slapped the door and walked away, not even attaching it straight, kinda crooked. My friend looked at it and said to himself,
'What's this?', then opened it up and read it, I have the note right here, let me read it for you... Huh? What do you mean how did I get the note? The point is I have it, you'll find out when I'm done the story, don't worry.

"The note said, 'All will be revealed', written out in rushed, sloppy script and blue ink. My friend freaked, he dropped the note and almost backed into the wall behind him. I mean, he was out of it, way more than he should have been. His girlfriend picked it up and read it, and she laughed,
'That's just too funny', she said, she always did like irony, but that's beside the point. She looked at him, and he was pale as a ghost, I mean, there were people at the county morgue that looked more lively, and she was a little worried. She tried to calm him down, but to no avail, he was flipping out.

"She managed to get him inside the apartment and sitting on the couch, then she looked at the other side of the note. It had a web address on it in black ink, so she went over to his laptop and typed it in, and when the site came up, she turned to look at him and said,
'How dare you?', which led them into an argument. He denied her accusations vehemently, and she kept yelling that the truth had been revealed before walking out and throwing her ring at his face.

"Turns out the picture showed that my friend had been cheating on her with her best friend, and this web address had a picture of them on the main page. The only problem was, the picture had a tag on the bottom corner of it that was dated. What was the date, you ask? The picture was dated the same day that this all happened, but two hours after they had the argument. Of course, neither one of them saw the strange guy with the beard standing on their fire escape and looking in the window. I did, because I was walking up to the building at just that moment and had planned on using the fire escape to go up, like I usually do.

"So I walked up the stairs and went in, my friend gave me the note, pointed to the computer, and walked out, slamming the door behind him. Turns out he went to his girlfriend's best friend's place, and they are now happily dating and engaged. As for his now ex-girlfriend, she disappeared about two days after all this happened, and they found a foot long false beard at her apartment when they searched for her.

"The weirdest thing was, when I looked up at the guy on the fire escape as I got to the apartment building, I saw beneath the trenchcoat, and it looked like he had a tail. True story, I swear it."

Remove ads