D&D General The most played D&D Adventure of all time

Stormonu

Legend
That's the one one of my players bought.

It's a lot nicer than my copy. Came in coffin box, player hand outs etc.
That coffin box is pretty awesome. I finally picked it up when it was nearly 50% off earlier this year. And Van Richten's fits into it as well.

Though, I'm one who picked up the original hardback CoS when it first dropped @Whizbang Dustyboots, so this was an "upgrade" for me.

On that note ... I wonder exactly how many copies of B2 and X1 I own; I think it's around 5 B2's and at least 3 X1's ... not so much that I love those adventures, but it came bundled several different ways over the years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That coffin box is pretty awesome. I finally picked it up when it was nearly 50% off earlier this year. And Van Richten's fits into it as well.

Though, I'm one who picked up the original hardback CoS when it first dropped @Whizbang Dustyboots, so this was an "upgrade" for me.

On that note ... I wonder exactly how many copies of B2 and X1 I own; I think it's around 5 B2's and at least 3 X1's ... not so much that I love those adventures, but it came bundled several different ways over the years.
Heck, I have two copies of B2: a secondhand original I found a few years ago, and Goidman Games reprint.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Completely anecdotal uncatalogued guesses would be...
1. Keep on the Borderlands.

If not, and/or followed by...
2. The Village of Homlet(te).
3 (or I might guess the #1 slot, if Keep is wrong). Against the Giants.
4. Isle of Dread.
5. Descent to the Depths of the Earth.
6. Queen of the Demonweb Pits.
7. Tomb of Horrors.
8. Slave Pits of the Undercity.
9. White Plume Mountain.
10. mmmm....toss up between, The Lost City and Dungeonland.
For just the 1e-era adventures, this list hits most of the key ones even if I'd quibble with the ordering between 2 and 10 (1 is a lock).

But there's also been a few big-time adventures since then, in terms of number of times played; so my guess as to how this would look (and I think I'm missing some key ones, as I'm going by memory):

Core: (i.e. the most-played adventure is one of these, with the other(s) close behind)
Keep on the Borderlands (BX)
Lost Mines of Phandelver (5e)

Inner Circle: (i.e. the next 'tier', played a lot but not as much as the core ones)
Ravenloft (1e)
Steading of the Hill Giants G1 (1e) [I suspect this one got played quite a bit more than G2 and G3)
Isle of Dread (BX)

Peripheral: (i.e. played a lot but not as much as those noted above)
Sunless Citadel (3e)
Village of Hommlet (1e) (but not the whole ToEE, just this bit)
Tomb of Horrors (1e)
Glacial Rift G2 (1e)
Hall of the Fire Giant King G3 (1e)
Keep on the Shadowfell (4e)

Outer periphery: (influential, honourable mentions, etc.)
Caverns of Thracia (JG)
Dark Tower (JG)
Dragons of Despair (1e) (plus, to a diminshing extent, the rest of the DL series)
Forge of Fury (3e)
Fedifensor (2e?)
Queen of the Demonweb Pits (1e)
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (1e)
Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (1e)
Curse of Strahd (5e) (not counting this as being the same as Ravenloft)
Pharoah I3 (1e)
White Plume Mountain (1e)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For just the 1e-era adventures, this list hits most of the key ones even if I'd quibble with the ordering between 2 and 10 (1 is a lock).

But there's also been a few big-time adventures since then, in terms of number of times played; so my guess as to how this would look (and I think I'm missing some key ones, as I'm going by memory):

Core: (i.e. the most-played adventure is one of these, with the other(s) close behind)

Inner Circle: (i.e. the next 'tier', played a lot but not as much as the core ones)
Ravenloft (1e)
Steading of the Hill Giants G1 (1e) [I suspect this one got played quite a bit more than G2 and G3)
Isle of Dread (BX)

Sunless Citadel (3e)
Tomb of Horrors (1e)
Glacial Rift G2 (1e)

Caverns of Thracia (JG)
Dark Tower (JG)
Dragons of Despair (1e) (plus, to a diminshing extent, the rest of the DL series)
Forge of Fury (3e)
Fedifensor (2e?)
Pharoah I3 (1e)
Seems reasonable, barring more hard data.

Zardnaar

Legend

Ravenloft (1e)
Isle of Dread (BX)

Sunless Citadel (3e)
Tomb of Horrors (1e)
Glacial Rift G2 (1e)

Caverns of Thracia (JG)
Dark Tower (JG)
Forge of Fury (3e)
Fedifensor (2e?)
Pharoah I3 (1e)

CoS and HotDQ are good contenders for 3rd and 4th place.

Remove ads