The Mourning After (Horror) (IC)

Hades#2

Explorer
"Fascinating! Mage bred animals and trees? One wonders what other secrets they have? Perhaps they are involved with the missing Clawfoots? Could it be they are experimenting on the Clawfoots? If they could improve them somehow it could bring great profit to house Vadalis. How to proceed with further investigation? Do we use the darkness to look around or would they have sentries or magical wards?"
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Sentries can always be bypassed, if that's the way we want to go," says Tillington with fasr too much confidence. "Only way to find out ids to try."
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
"Sentries can always be bypassed, if that's the way we want to go," says Tillington with fasr too much confidence. "Only way to find out ids to try."
"Or we could be upfront about it with the House, just not with this facility. So they know there are agents on the field. If this is inside job we just need to make sure these people don't know about it. I'd avoid 'bypassing' as you say. It's breaking the law."
Ozzar is not happy with Malix and Tillington suggestions.
 


Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
A bit before the plotting starts:

"Of course, of course, feel free to look around!" Eixek brings his pitch to a lower pressure as he walks into a nearby office. "I'll be right in here."
"Just remember,"
He adds. "Sometimes when you are looking for an animal, the right one will come to you!" Then closes the door with a wink.

GM: Hoo-boy the holiday season is a doozy! Any plans for getting in yet?
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
Ozzar follows Eixek into the office.

"I was wondering about the animals. If they are intelligent, can't they choose their owners? And do you need security if they can warn you by themselves? I mean, they are valuable but are they still animals or they are...erm...beings...you know...intelligent."


"What else do you have?" Ozzar is gruff, but seems genuinely interested.
"Even if I cannot afford something NOW doesn't mean I won't be later. And knowing prices is to have a target to meet."
 
Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
In his office, Eixek turns to answer the questions:

"Let's see, where is that pamphlet?" He rhetorically asks while digging through the cabinet.

"Ah-ha!" he lays out the paperwork with aplomb. "Always nice to work with a House, don't you agree? Everything has it's place and proper procedure."

Standard Vadalis Pricings
Animal Sizes are Galifarian Standard.
Stables, per day. Comes with Special V blend Feed.Prices are x4 for huge animals.
Standard3 sp
Exotic6 sp
Husbandry services, per dayPrices are x4 for huge animals.
Standard5 sp
Exotic1 gp
Feed (per day) Prices are x4 for huge animals.
Standard5 cp
Special V blend1 sp
Saddles:Prices are doubled for huge animals.Comes in Leather and Plant Fiber. Enchantments available in conjunction from House Cannith West.
Pack5 gp
Riding10 gp
Military20 gp
Exotic60 gp
Saddlebags4 gp
Bit and Bridle2 gp
Shoeing2 cp
Barding:Made to order, prices very depending on size.All standard materials available. Enchantments available in conjunction from House Cannith West.
Tiny, Smallx1
Mediumx2
Largex4
Hugex8
Animalsnon Magebred animals available for import at half priceAll male animals are non-Studs.
Equine:
Donkey16 gp
Pony60 gp
Draft100 gp
Riding150 gp
Warhorse800 gp
Canine:Spell-enhanced breeds cost x1.5 price
Toy50 gp
Small domestic30 gp
Sled100 gp
Guard40 gp
Hunting60 gp
War50 gp
Whitewood Ranch Special, Alarm Animal
Standard Styles:30 gp.
Almiraj
Bat
Cat
Crab
Fish
Fox
Frog
Hare
Hawk
Lizard
Octopus
Owl
Rat
Raven
Seahorse
Snake
Spider
Weasel
Exotic stylesAlso available for familiar binding.
Cranium Rat50g
Flying Monkey60g
Tressym70g
Training another animalAnimal cost +50 gp
Farm Animals:
Chicken4 cp
Cow20 gp
Ox30 gp
Pig6 gp
Goat1 gp
Sheep2 gp
Tribex40 gp
Rare animals:
Axe Beak100 gp
Camel100 gp
Elephant400 gp
Moorbounder800 gp
Fastieth50 gp
Whitewood:
Per Cord, cut to order1 gp
Custom sized pillars per cubic foot2 cp


"If the current animals here aren't to you liking, we can have any type of animal bred by House Vadalis shipped here within a week." Eixek says with a smile. "Naturally, we also offer husbandry, training and stabling survices!"

The question of animal intelligence takes the man aback for a moment. "Oh don't worry, our animals are still quite animal! I know the Treaty of Thronehold has some people up in arms over what a person is, but I can assure you, these aren't! Even the druids in the Reaches would still call them animals."

After clearing his throat, as if to change the subject. "As for imprinting, that is absolutely no problem at all! Making that kind of magic happen is a House Vadalis specialty!"

"The alarm animals each have their own way of communication, typical chirps and purrs, gentile nudges, shrieking like the world is ending, and even telepathy! Most of them aren't too handy in a fight, but we can train one of our more combat ready animals to do the same. Guard Dogs with extra abilities are very popular, especially among the nobles!"
 
Last edited:

MetaVoid

Adventurer
"Wow! For half o' these I don't even know what they are not to say pronounce their names." Ozzar is stumped by the sheer variability implied in foreign names
"Do you have monsters from Chult? Those...Dyno-saws? Things that some halflings ride? For me personally, I'd go with some digging thingy such as badger or...I know! Umber Hulk.

Prices are a bit above our current ability."
 

Hades#2

Explorer
"A very impressive list! I was unaware that house Vadalis was so diverse with their offerings. Could some of these animals be used to eavesdrop on others? I am sure there would be much interest in such creatures."Xian inquired.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Aw, c'mon," says Tillington, knowing enough not to mention the big bag of gold out loud. "We got some money. Maybe just a Tressym or..." (he pretends to run his thumb down the list) "...an Axe-beak?"
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Maladiel studies the pamphlet, intrigued. For a moment his memories of being a dirtpoor urchin come back to him; if only he had had a chicken to sell for even half this price, who knows how different his life would've turned out?

He shakes his head, returning to the present. He likes where he is now, with a lot more wealth and priviliges than most. Usually.

"Dinosaurs?" he asks Ozzar teasingly. "Why would you want to go near those things? They're bity, and I'm sure the only one of us to properly ride it would be the gnome here."

With an almost imperceptible wink to the dwarf, Mal turns to Eixek and asks not-too-seriously, "Or do you have any large ones to carry a dwarf with more muscles than sense?"

OOC: So sorry about my long absence, guys!
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Malix looked over the grounds around the office and roamed a bit around the area looking for anything not belonging here. While he doesn't skulk around looking suspicious, he does try to remain out of sight, waiting out anyone walking by and approaching only close enough to see what someone's doing.

OOC: so he kinda strolls around, but keeps low profile, if he notices someone and is not seen, he fades a bit until that person passes and if he notices anyone doing something, he observes from the distance and hidden. Again, as 'I'm not actually hiding' thing as possible. He doesn't suddenly drop down if someone notices him, after all he does have an excuse. He just prefers not to be noticed,

Perception; Stealth: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21
1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Why Fastieth are dinosaurs, one of the more popular and docile breeds, originally domesticated by the halflings here on the plains! Faster than most horses and capable of impressive bursts of speed, while being able to turn on a silver sovereign! Their only drawback is that the bigger members of your group won't be able to ride one!" Eixek continues his sales pitch. "If the prices are a bit out of reach, we have a branch of House Kundarak's Banking Guild available to work out a loan! The Farmers Branch to be exact, they are quite flexible on what they will take as collateral. They even have a profit sharing program to keep interest rates low!"

On your patrols around the grounds, you are drawn to the building with the House Crest. The other buildings are seemingly normal for such a business, however this clearly guarded more diligently than the rest. You watch people enter and exit the building on tight schedule, even going as far as to wait around to be let into the building. These people don't quite match up with your preconceptions of a rancher, reminding you of scholars or mages instead. The Crest appears to be some kind of lock, and the most likely key is a Dragonmark. Every half hour a Vadalis Sion comes by to open the door for those that don't have a mark of their own.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Aren't the halflings upset that you sell dinosaurs?" Maladiel says in surprise, inwardly thankful for this lead.

"Or that people like us buy them?"

The half-elf looks around as if expecting House Ghallandra or Clan Boromir to rush in at any moment now.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"The Halflings aren't a Monolith." Eixek explains. "Some of Mask Weavers disapproved of the idea for traditions sake. But most recognized a lucrative business opportunity when presented with one!" The man says with a wink and a grin. "Still, out of respect for our partners here, some of the dinosaurs aren't sold outside of trusted channels."
"No offence intended to present company I assure you!"
He quickly amends. "It's just that some of them, like the Sharptooth Titans, require an entire supply division's worth of support! Standard affair for a mercenary company, House, or government. But a bit out of reach for the general public, you understand."
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
"People shouldn't ride anything. Animals are for hauling and helping, not riding. You have perfectly functional legs to go places." grumps Ozzar

He starts feeling lack of drink and is actually happy he's in the wilds so there is no easy access. But that doesn't make it easier.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
He strolls easily, looking around a bit confusedly, turning his head this way and that.
"Hello, can you point me toward my group? We were on a tour and I got distracted by your beautiful animals. You know, the adventurers, not two of them alike?"

Malix kept to himself until he got a chance to disappear into the grounds. He tried to approach the mysterious building and peek inside. Slithering through the grass and cursing the daylight, he patiently freezes when someone is coming or going where he could be detected.

OOC: he will NOT sneak if there are obvious guards on the outside, they are undercover and getting caught sneaking is worse than being turned away. By guards, I include the animals that don't wonder off over the time of his observation which might indicate trained guards or intelligence.
Stealth +5; Perception +5; Investigation +0 as needed.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Malix notes a pen nearby the strange building. While the animals outside don't look like they are trained to be guards, the possibility that they could raise the alarm couldn't be risked. Fortunately, while approaching the building to talk to the staff, one leads a horse inside the stables, allowing for a peak inside.

The inside of the building is pristine and clinical. You would have a hard time believing animals were kept here if not for the fact you see a few kept in the pens. Also of note is what appears to be a set of stairs to the left of the entrance leading below the ground floor.

He strolls easily, looking around a bit confusedly, turning his head this way and that.
"Hello, can you point me toward my group? We were on a tour and I got distracted by your beautiful animals. You know, the adventurers, not two of them alike?"

"Must be the customers Eixek was seeing?" A Dragonmarked staff member answers while stroking his beard. "Should be in the office over yonder, I recon." He closes the door without much fuss as the emblem above it glows for just a moment. "I'll take you on over."


Back in the office.

Eixek busts a gut laughing after Ozzar's grumpings. "Oh we have plenty of working animals available, what kind of work did you need done?"
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Must be the customers Eixek was seeing?" A Dragonmarked staff member answers while stroking his beard. "Should be in the office over yonder, I recon." He closes the door without much fuss as the emblem above it glows for just a moment. "I'll take you on over."
"Thank you. You got quite a big place here. Obviously, with all the animals. You must have an entire army of support personnel." Malix walks next to the man still looking around
"How do you ever keep your secrets with all that. Sorry, not my business, but I couldn't but notice you using your Mark there. But still, even a perfect lock only blocks the door. And people talk." he raises both his hands in a surrender gesture "Don't answer, please, I'm just musing aloud, not trying to steal the secrets. On the other hand, we're a bunch of adventurers and if you have problems that need solving...well, here we are. Getting that perfect griffin maybe? A sting off of a wyvern? Bandits raiding your stores? Whatever. Must be better than what my companions are planning, getting lost in the wild in hope of hitting paydirt."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tillington listens to Malix speak. He waves feebly at the mention of "adventurers" -- is that what he is now? not a refugee or a criminal on the run? -- but wants to be supportive where he can, nodding away.

[help action on a social check?]
 
Last edited:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top