The Mourning After (Horror) (IC)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Maladiel is, at his core, an opportunist. Seizing the chance to hop aboard a rich woman's airship, taking her up on the opportunity to become her favourite, even if it didn't last, or even to take control of a minor operation of the Boromor clan; Mal has always found a way to survive and even thrive in the face of adversity.

He smiles, despite everything, as his confidence grows about their chances.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
4th of Zarantyr, 998 YK. Morning.
Dead Man’s Land, Metrol, Cyre

You venture forth into the ruins of the Dead Man’s Land. Buildings shattered, the dead and undead preserved in stone (calling cards of the House Tharashk Medusa squads), and the ever present mist lying limply on the land. The distance wouldn’t have been long, as a crow flies, but you are no crow. Instead you quietly skulk, climb, and sometimes crawl through gaps, as if you were a mouse.

Eventually you find yourself near the border, where Yelisha directs you to a building that breaches the wall. But one obstacle is still in your path: An overgrown and wilted garden. The wide selection of rotten plants imply this place was beautiful, years ago at least. The garden's twisted tangles of vines and roots consume the building, blocking the doors and windows.

As you test the unnatural barricade, you hear something, behind you. Your attention is drawn to a single black flower in the center of the garden. Bent over from wilting, but still as tall as a dwarf, with a stem as thick as your arm. The flower shakes and slowly points itself in your direction. From it you hear a weak voice.

“...please…so thirsty…”

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Whisper from the mists where you last caught a glimpse of Malix
"Do you think it only requires water?"

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"We should keep moving," Maladiel whispers, not trusting anything in these lands. He pauses, hoping to see Malix and the others leave the flower and everything else alone.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Next it will be hungry," suggested Lazharis, "And then it will try to eat us. Still, perhaps that will be an interesting way to die. Shall we water it?"

He took his water skin from his belt and held it with a quizzical look at the others, noting Maladiel's objection.

Hades#2

Explorer
"I suspect it is not water that the plant is thirsty for. Based on what we have seen and heard about magebreeding, it probably subsists on blood, a rare commodity around here." Xian commented.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Ah yes, I should have suspected a vampiric plant." remarked Lazharis dryly. He took a swig from his water skin, seeing as he had it out, and then corked it and put it back on his belt.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Still, it is a direct way through. I might try to get there quietly. Not sure if that helps with plants, or how they sense the world."
offers Malix

Hades#2

Explorer
"Help how? I don't see how we could trust you. You're probably a trap designed to lure in anyone passing by and drain them." Xian commented, fully aware of his injuries and the danger that lay ahead.

Remove ads