• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Multiverse is back....

Apparently, in the new version of the cosmology of D&D 5th edition, it's actually faster to move through the Lower Planes than it is the Upper.

Why?

'tis better terrain in Hell...

:cool:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Oh sure. And that's the way I have been doing it. What it generally means though is any supplement related to the planes immediately gets stricken from my shopping list because I know it's going to contain absolutely nothing I want to use. Which is a shame really.

Why is it a shame you aren't going to buy something you aren't going to use? Why does it matter? No one is concerned whether or not you've bought every book WotC has published (including WotC)... so there's no shame in not buying it.

Hussar

Legend
Why is it a shame you aren't going to buy something you aren't going to use? Why does it matter? No one is concerned whether or not you've bought every book WotC has published (including WotC)... so there's no shame in not buying it.

Because I would like to have supplements that appeal to me? I'd like to be able to pick up something for the planes in D&D that isn't completely locked down to a single setting, same as I can pick up a supplement about dragons that isn't tied to Dragonlance or a supplement about undead that isn't tied to Ravenloft? Or a supplement about planar material that doesn't have to walk lockstep with Planescape? To me, that's the shame of it all. That we get all these really cool supplements about all these different subjects, many of which contradict each other because they are telling different stories using the same base material, but, as soon as we leave the Prime, now we MUST follow Planescape canon, all of it, and not a single line of it can ever be contradicted.

To me, that's the shame of this whole thing. That one setting has been allowed to completely dominate one aspect of the game and it's to the point that nothing can ever deviate from that. Eladrin are bad, not because they don't make sense, or because they're mechanically broken, or even that they're badly written. They're bad because they aren't Angel Elves as specified in some supplement that I could not care less about. Replace Eladrin with every single element that Planescape touched on and that's the legacy we've been left with.

I don't know about you, but, I think that's a terrible shame.

Imaro

Legend
Because I would like to have supplements that appeal to me? I'd like to be able to pick up something for the planes in D&D that isn't completely locked down to a single setting, same as I can pick up a supplement about dragons that isn't tied to Dragonlance or a supplement about undead that isn't tied to Ravenloft? Or a supplement about planar material that doesn't have to walk lockstep with Planescape? To me, that's the shame of it all. That we get all these really cool supplements about all these different subjects, many of which contradict each other because they are telling different stories using the same base material, but, as soon as we leave the Prime, now we MUST follow Planescape canon, all of it, and not a single line of it can ever be contradicted.

To me, that's the shame of this whole thing. That one setting has been allowed to completely dominate one aspect of the game and it's to the point that nothing can ever deviate from that. Eladrin are bad, not because they don't make sense, or because they're mechanically broken, or even that they're badly written. They're bad because they aren't Angel Elves as specified in some supplement that I could not care less about. Replace Eladrin with every single element that Planescape touched on and that's the legacy we've been left with.

Well I guess someone had to be disappointed, and since we just had an entire edition that did away with planar canon, as a fan of Planescape I can honestly say I am glad they are catering to me this time around as opposed to you. IMO, it's not a shame it's a positive to get me to buy more books for this edition. Of course you could always get 4e books and mine those for an alternate cosmology...

I am severely not happy at the prospect of the Plane of Shadow/Shadowfell being called Ravenloft in 5th Ed, truly terrifying.

It is literally the dumbest decision made in 5E, if they've stuck with it. It appears to be solely for Branding Reasons (TM). Ravenloft is a much Bigger Brand (TM)(R) than The Shadowfell or the Plane of Shadow, and thus as the BIGGEST BRAND (TM)(R)(C), it apparently contains the Shadowfell, even thought the Shadowfell is LITERALLY THE SIZE OF THE PRIME MATERIAL PLANE, and thus literally infinitely larger than Ravenloft which is extremely finite.

I didn't hear about it also containing the Plane of Shadow, jeez. Hopefully sanity stepped in and it's either the Plane of Shadow contains both, or the Shadowfell is the border-region of the Plane of Shadow, and Ravenloft an island in it, or something.

It is literally the dumbest decision made in 5E, if they've stuck with it. It appears to be solely for Branding Reasons (TM). Ravenloft is a much Bigger Brand (TM)(R) than The Shadowfell or the Plane of Shadow, and thus as the BIGGEST BRAND (TM)(R)(C), it apparently contains the Shadowfell, even thought the Shadowfell is LITERALLY THE SIZE OF THE PRIME MATERIAL PLANE, and thus literally infinitely larger than Ravenloft which is extremely finite.

I didn't hear about it also containing the Plane of Shadow, jeez. Hopefully sanity stepped in and it's either the Plane of Shadow contains both, or the Shadowfell is the border-region of the Plane of Shadow, and Ravenloft an island in it, or something.

Geez, we agree on something for once. ;)

I think the idea was that Prime Material - Ravenloft/Shadow - Negative Material Plane just as Prime Material - Faerie - Positive Material Plane. There are similar border areas for the elemental planes. The model makes sense - I just don't think "Shadow = Ravenloft" fits with any version of canon.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

Heh heh. Shoe's now on the other foot it seems. Usually you're on the front line with me and the others saying to other folks that anything in any of the books can be changed or refluffed and that nothing is set in stone in your home game. Apparently we've found your one kryptonite where you're on the far side and can't go along with the idea of taking what you want and damning the rest. ;)

Oh well... we all have that one thing I guess. LOL.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I would like the exemplar races back and in full force, and it seems like this is likely, good signs such as modrons are in, yeah, baby!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads