D&D 5E The Names for the Psionic Class that You Like More

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think re-cycling an existing name from a prior ed, like Psion or Psionicist fist 5e's general presentation (emphasizing classic feel).

And, thave been a number of other psionic classes, like the Ardent, that could be sub-class of the Psion(icist)/AM/whatever or sub-classes of existing classes. A Psychic Warrior (or Battlemind) could be a Fighter archetype, for instance, cribbing off psionics the same way the EK does arcane magic, for instance.

Yaarel

He Mage
Biotic Adept
Jedi
Bene Gesserit
Mutant

Tongue is only slightly in cheek.

I love the name ‘Adept’. Added it to the second post.

Perhaps ‘Mutant’ is too modern, but it is great in a modern setting to refer to psionic adventurers as ‘mutants’.

Jedi is awesome too.

I think re-cycling an existing name from a prior ed, like Psion or Psionicist fist 5e's general presentation (emphasizing classic feel).

I like both names, Mystic and Psion. Also Psychic. And Adept.

The advantage of going with something like ‘Mystic’ is, it seems to make it easier for the wider D&D community to integrate the psionic tradition. A number of players who avoided psionics, read the UA with interest.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The more I think about it, the more I feel like "Psychic" is the most obvious, appropriate, and informative name for this class.

A good class name covers a wide variety of character types but also conveys a "story" of its own, instantly. Consider the average person who has never played D&D but wants to try and has enough experience with WoW and LotR and Harry Potter to know the general fantasy tropes. If you tell them they can play a "Psychic," they will instantly know what to expect and this class (as outlined so far in the UA draft) will provide exactly that.

In contrast, "Mystic" and "Psion" and "Psionicist" will need to be explained WTF they mean. So they are not as good of names as "Psychic."

Yaarel

He Mage
I strongly prefer the shortform of the name

Psiwar or Psywar

more than the longform of the name.

Make the shortform the official proper name.

Dehewes

First Post
I think Mystic is the best of all possible names. Psion is not bad and has the nostalgia factor but it sounds too modern. "Mystic" sounds like a term people in a fantasy quasi-historical setting would use.

Remathilis

Legend
augur
channeller
clairvoyant
diviner
fortune-teller
haruspex
horoscopist
medium
mental telepathist
mentalist