The never ending story of ...

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Nord and Od had been charmed ...Herewulf bit his lip and pretended to go along with it. The mysterious Oakleaf Downside just wandered on through the thick shrubbery expecting them all to keep up. The branches and leaves parted for him but snapped back into the Paladin's face. He knows. He knows and he doesn't care. He's even got his back to me the arrogant ass. Hey I can think without slurring or sloshing my words. I wonder if he knows that as well.

He knows I know now. thought Oakleaf. Which means he knows I know that he knows, Oakleaf thought. Damn where does that leaf ush. Waike. Whast ish Heppenink?

In a panic and wild determination to regain utter control. The Druid? cast a spell.

"Entwangwell."

His eyes lit up in fear. He could not verbalise the spell. His hands gripped tighter and tighter around his gnarled walking staff. Evil lit his eyes and his grin. His antlers pulled higher. He slowly lifted the Druid weapon of renown.

"Shwilleighlwaar!"

BoldItalic

First Post
Herewulf's rapier was at the druid's throat. "I would not harm thee for the world," quoth the paladin fluently, "but thy neck is where my blade is about to be."

Oakleaf gibbered, knowing that he was powerless for he was but a 4th level druid (MM 346) and all his spells and cantrips had a V component. Except possibly Beast Sense but that didn't seem very useful under the circumstances and besides, he hadn't prepared it this morning. In a mad panic, he did what any craven evil druid would do when faced with the situation - he surrendered. "Melcy! I yierd!" he cried.

"You will end the charm on my companions, then you will lead us to your castle and open all your treasure chests before we lock you in your own dungeons," growled Herewolf. "And no tricks," he added, because you always have to say that or it doesn't count.

Oakleaf was careful not to nod but succeeded in saying "Yez, Yez!" without moving his throat muscles.

Nord snapped out of his charmed condition, whipped out a length of cord and lashed Oakleaf's hands together behind his back with a complicated sailor's knot, then tied a length of rope to them so that he couldn't run away. "How much xp do you reckon this one is worth?" he wondered.

"I reckon he's CR2," suggested Od, "So that's 150xp each for the three of us, half way to level two."

With a little gentle prodding, Oakleaf led them along the trail through the forest to the gates of a castle that was built entirely of wood, held together with ropes. Not an ounce of metal or stone had been used in its construction - you could tell that the builder had been a fanatical druid. Atop one of the turrets was a flagpole, and flying from it was a green banner showing an oak tree passant regardant with a crown of holly leaves.

The castle gate opened at Oakleaf's approach and they all made for the great hall which had a long table laden with dishes of food on wooden platters. Sensing that the food was probably drugged, Herewulf warned the others not to touch it. A twinge of annoyance flitted across Oakleaf's face at this. It was very brief but Od was adept a reading people's expressions and he spotted it.

"Lead us to the treasure!" demanded Herewulf. The druid shrugged and made for a flight of stairs spiralling up into one of the turrets. It was as well that Nord was alert for tricks, for when they reached the top of the stairs ...

rgoodbb

Adventurer
for when they reached the top of the stairs ... A large boulder was waiting for them. It was rocking slightly and seemed dastardly precarious or precariously dastardly.

"Boulders. It always 'as to be flamin' boulders. They are the bleedin' bane of this 'ere advencha'." Gasped Nord who was knackered from the stairs. He had chosen unwisely on his attributes and his Con was definitely not a Pro.

They could hear small grunting sounds from behind the large round rock. Each grunt timed perfectly with the forward wobble of the stone. Whatever minion was behind it was obviously not that strong. Herewulf espied and accepted the challenge. He put his back and shoulder into the contest and forged ahead at a steady rate. There was a natural alcove to the right and the sergeant slotted the stone in there nicely. Along with the minion.

With the failed trap out of the way, the room opened up and in the centre, sat on a nest of golden hay was a goat. "Oakleaf I tell you to do one thing. Just one, and you mess that up." It seemed to bleat. "I am Tangzor." and with that, it rushed the meatshield. Herewulf was astonished and a little embarrassed as he travelled backwards at phenomenal speeds. Tangzor ended his ram-run at the top of the spiral starecase and his foe began the long twisting tumble downward.

Od and Nord looked at each other.

"Do you have protection from goats?"

"Nope."

"I thought it was in Xanathar's."

"Hey I only have so many spells dude."

"Yeah me too. It would be a little niche wouldn't it?"

"However I did take Featherfall."

"Really? Me too."

And, assuming that the goat and the druid would soon be at them, they jumped out of the wooden tower and floated down to the ground where Herewulf smashed through the side of the Keep still rolling.

"Good. They have taken the northern Road of Despair." Muttered Tangzor, watching them from on high. "I have them exactly where I want them" Meh-Meh, Meh-Meh, Meh-Meh...

BoldItalic

First Post
Our three friends set out along the only road available, with no clear idea of where they were going or why. After a while they came to a stone pillar, on which was engraved the single word "EXPLORATION". They took this as a hopeful sign. Further down the road, they passed under a great stone arch over which were carved some mysterious words in a language that none of them understood. Od tried to read them out anyway in case they were a magic spell.

LASCIATE OGNI SPERANZA, VOI CH'ENTRATE

It sounded vaguely ominous, but nothing happened. Od shrugged, took out his flute and played the first few notes of a moderately slow melody. Something niggled at the back of his mind, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. As if something was an allegory for something, but not quite.

"Movement ahoy!" called out Nord suddenly. Far in the distance, a giant ran across the road wearing a green jerkin, brown trousers and a knitted hat with a red bobble. The giant was being pursued by a small group of horsepeople who were shrieking merrily like children.

"Isn't that Jeli, with them?" wondered Herewulf.

"Could be, it's hard to tell at this distance," agreed Od.

They watched as the horsepeople faded from sight. Rather worryingly, a pack of wolves then ran silently across the road after them, keeping low, running fast and fanning out as if to outflank the riders. "Should we do anything?" asked Od.

Herewulf though for a moment. "We're too far away," he decided.

"We could try?"

"Oh, alright then."

It was not difficult to locate the scene of the battle.

You have followed the sound of sobbing and come to a bloodstained patch of ground where a pack of wolves is feasting, rather messily, on a dead unicorn. Its erstwhile rider, a little girl in a pink frock, is stamping her foot and crying "Naughty Doggies!" over and over again. The wolves seem to be ignoring her. What will you do?

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
You have followed the sound of sobbing and come to a bloodstained patch of ground where a pack of wolves is feasting, rather messily, on a dead unicorn. Its erstwhile rider, a little girl in a pink frock, is stamping her foot and crying "Naughty Doggies!" over and over again. The wolves seem to be ignoring her. What will you do?

Player 1: I try to calm the Alpha wolf using Animal Handling.

How does that look. Describe it.

Player 1: I say there, there wolf. I'm here wolf, I'm Herewulf. Go over there wolf. Not right here wolf.

Player 2: I add some notes on my piccolo that cannot be heard by human ears

You have advantage on the roll

Player 2: Oh and I inspire him.

Player 1: Ah. A 14 or a 14. I'll take the 14. and 3 from the Bard. 17 total.

The Bad d...Wolf and it's friends slowly back away, dragging the carcass with them. You have avoided a combat and.....Hey daddy........I'm running a game......No.......No but.....I'm not tired!

BoldItalic

First Post
"How many XP do we get?" asked Od quickly.

Fifty

"Each wolf?"

No, you only persuaded one of them. But I'll round up and give you twenty each.

"What should we do with the little girl?" wondered Herewulf.

"We could tie her up and sell her at the slave market," suggested Nord.

"I don't think we'd be allowed to."

"Just a suggestion. I am a pirate. It's what my character would do."

"Little girl, what is your name?"

"Xena."

"The Xena?"

"No, I'm Little Xena. Granny is The Xena."

"Well, Little Xena, you should run along and find your friends."

"I've only got little legs."

"We could ask one of the wolves to carry you. Would you like to be Xena The Wolf Rider?"

"Ooh, yes!"

So they did. Her wolf was apparently called Flowence.

At the mention of the name Flowence, something niggled at the back of Od's mind again. An idea came moderately slowly. "I try to remember something about the inscription on the gate we came under," he announced.

Make an Intelligence(History) check, please.

"23"

Well done. You recall that the inscription comes from a work by the Flowentine poet Andante Allegori. It is written above the gates of Hell and it means Abandon All Hope, O Ye Who Enter Here!

"And we just walked through the arch under it? This does not bode well," commented Herewulf.

Last edited:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
The lights would have gone out dramatically if only they had been turned on, but no one had found the light switch. In fact, none of them knew what a light switch was. The DM was a bit disappointed, because he had arranged to plunge the gaming table into darkness for added effect but that idea went completely to waste, like so many of his ideas that relied on the players doing what he assumed they would do. It's tough being a DM*.

*Uh ... this tale is being constructed as a cautionary tale for would-be DMs, right? It's certainly got an ambient "Required Reading" vibe going.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
That's fab! B.I.

By the way if anyone reading this wishes at any time to add a post or even multiple posts please join in. We would be delighted to welcome you. Just make it up from the last post and have fun.

[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION]
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6778305]Redthistle[/MENTION]

Any of you interested in this?

Oh, yeah! I had to give up on trying to choose between the "Give XP ... " link and the "Laugh with this ... " link. You aren't making this easy. I'm just reading through for now to catch up.

BoldItalic

First Post
*Uh ... this tale is being constructed as a cautionary tale for would-be DMs, right? It's certainly got an ambient "Required Reading" vibe going.
'Required Reading', definitely. :D

Oh, yeah! I had to give up on trying to choose between the "Give XP ... " link and the "Laugh with this ... " link. You aren't making this easy. I'm just reading through for now to catch up.
Roll 1d6 to decide, then ignore the roll and go with your instincts :)

Remove ads