The Nevers (SKY/HBO)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So The Nevers is a story in Victorian London where a large number of people (mainly female) have acquired strange (mutant) abilities. The show centers on an Orphanage for ‘the Touched’ and their struggles for acceptance and protection against typically Victorian class and social prejudice. Its very Xaviers School for Gifted, but the Victoriana does work to give it a slightly different feel.
The show does have some clearly painted tropes to carry the narrative, with perhaps 3 potential villains, a high level conspiracy to protect Britain, a murderous touched lunatic and an American Doctor doing vivisectionist experiments on the Touch too. Nonetheless the writers do a lot to withhold the bigger mystery and lay down tantalising secrets from the characters, who have their complexities despite being expected archetypes.

I’ve enjoyed the 4 episodes I’ve watched so far...

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Whedon thing makes me reluctant — partly because changing the showrunner mid season doesn’t bode well for consistency.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I tried the pilot but it was all over the place. Action followed by comedy followed by serious exposition followed by mysterious exposition etc... Couldn't stay interested.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Saw videos where both youtubers Abby Cox* and Bernadette Banner* reviewed the clothing in the show. Both were to say the least VERY pleased... I really want to see the show.

* Very skilled and very geeky clothes historians/designers

Last edited:

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
The Whedon thing makes me reluctant — partly because changing the showrunner mid season doesn’t bode well for consistency.

Considering there is usually a bible for a TV show and several episodes written in advance I want to give the rest of the crew (actors/writters/tech) a chance to get it right by watching it. They shouldn't loose viewers because of his unacceptable behaviour.

Ryujin

Legend
Saw videos where both youtubers Abby Cox* and Bernadette Banner* reviewed the clothing in the show. Both were to say the least VERY pleased... I really bwant to see the show.

* Very skilled and very geeky clothes historians/designers
I was just coming here to comment on this, as I just caught Bernadette's video in my feed. For those who don't know who she is she's a clothing designer, clothing historian, seamstress (using traditional methods), and proponent of daily wear Victorian inspired fashion. I don't currently have access to the series but after comments here, and watching the video, I definitely want to find a way to see it.

Remove ads