• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The new DM's mistake

N'raac

First Post
If I read Greenfield's posts correctly, all they would need to do is archive the sheet when DM's switch (but maybe they would need all updates in between as well). At some point, I assume, "rewind" is no longer an option.

Greenfield

Adventurer
We have the treasure lists and Exp awards sent out by email every week.

That can tell people what to back out of loot, gear, Levels and Exp. Paring back Skills and Feats would be up to the player.

It's not that much work when all the numbers are in the emails.

For myself, I keep my character on a spreadsheet, and "Print to PDF" every level. Intermediate gains are added in pencil until the next update, so rolling back is easy. I have the old sheet online.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Epilogue: We've moved on. A new DM is running, and we've walked away from the old DM's adventure entirely.

That doesn't keep the old DM from trying to tell the new DM what the world looks like though.

In our games each player creates their character, and the region or city they come from, the are where they plan to use as the base for their adventures.

Unclaimed areas of the world are open for use and abuse as the DMs see fit.

The DM we walked away from is claiming that his territory is one entire continent, Africa. Egypt is pretty much gone and his Bantu empire is the greatest threat that nobody has ever heard of.

The new DM cast a brief but effective Dispel BS on that, and is continuing with his game (currently based in Egypt) as planned.

It is decidedly un-Christian of me to take delight in someone else's discomfort. But I'm not always as good a Christian as I should be. :)

<Note to the Mods: More a joke than anything religious. No offense intended to anyone.)

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
We have a similar... creative-thinking... individual in our small group. He has the inability to see anything beyond his roll of the dice when he's in-game (the rest of us are vivid story-tellers); he also wants to DM but lacks the social skills and extemporaneous thinking necessary to do it, plus he refuses to learn the rules on his own time.

I am super-happy for Greenfield's table that they were able to successfully quell all the craziness. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads