The New Savage Worlds Is Storming Kickstarter

At nearly $200K after one day since launch, the new Savage Worlds Adventure Edition is pretty much smashing it on Kickstarter.

swae.jpg

This is a new edition of the popular multi-genre tabletop RPG ruleset, updated to a new edition after 15 years of advancements. This includes new narrative play elements, and updates to every aspect of the game.

"We've taken everything we've learned over the last 15 years...all the feedback you've given us via our forums, social media, store, convention, and personal play...to make it faster, more furious, and more fun!

We're especially proud that this version combines the tactical nature of the original system with the best elements of narrative play.

Every aspect of the game has been reviewed and playtested, from all new Chase rules to Setting Rules, Edges & Hindrances, character creation, powers, creatures, and more.

This is also the most beautiful version of the game we've ever done, with full-color chapter headers and interior pages by incredibly talented artists from all over the world."

The hardcover book costs $50 (black leatherette collector's edition for $100) with additional rewards at higher pledge levels. The hardcover will be 192 pages, full colour, in the graphic novel sized format.

New to Savage Worlds? It was launched back in 2003 by Pinnacle Entertainment Group, and designed by Shane Hensley. It's a generic rules system, and over the last 15 years has had tons of support in the form of various setting books, games powered by the Savage Worlds system, and more covering a wide range of genres. It's very much a go-to for multi-genre gaming with a fast, light system. It has powered things like Deadlands, Flash Gordon, The Last Parsec, Rifts, and more.

The Kickstarter page says that this new edition is highly compatible with previous editions; but there will also be a free conversion guide for those who need it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Not surprised they are doing well. Though it is cool that there are so many big RPG kick-starters going right now.

Very tempting...the box set looks great...

Von Ether

Legend
I know it's sacrilege but I wish SW had an option for HP. While I had no problem with Wild Card Wounds and Soak rolls, too many players couldn't seem to wrap their head around them. Worse yet, I think some of them were doing it on purpose because they thought SW "math" was wrong, i.e. too swingy for them.

Otherwise, can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I thought one of the significant positive & differentiating thing about the explorer& even deluxe set compared to other games was the low price of the core rules. I’m disappointed that’s changed. I’m not sure whether I’ll jump on board.

barasawa

Explorer
I know it's sacrilege but I wish SW had an option for HP. While I had no problem with Wild Card Wounds and Soak rolls, too many players couldn't seem to wrap their head around them. Worse yet, I think some of them were doing it on purpose because they thought SW "math" was wrong, i.e. too swingy for them.

Otherwise, can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

Savage Worlds grew out of the system used for the original Deadlands, which did use hit points.

I agree that some people have trouble dealing with the shaken/wounds system, it's definitely a different way to deal with combat results.

None of them are perfect, but HP allows you to whittle away at the opponent and eventually take them down even with small hits, S/W, not so much. If you want to fight godzilla, those rifles just will NOT do enough damage to even catch his attention.

Another factor is if the opponents usual damage is high enough vs your character, you are on the fast train to coffinville. Sure you can spend bennies to TRY and soak, but large damages usually aren't soaked because their target numbers are equally high. Also, you have a very limited number of bennies per game session. Most players have a max of 3 in a game session. (Those that don't know, you can't "save" bennies for the next session, and they are also used in many other ways than just soaking damage, so you might not even have the 3 to use in combat when it happens.)

It boils down to the simple fact that no combat system is perfect, but the S/W system does have less upkeep to track, but I'm not going to claim either one is better or worse.

Off the top of my head, and mind you it has been many years, if I recall correctly, in the original version of Deadlands you did damage which took off hit points from the health track. If the damage exceeded your toughness, you took 1 wound for every multiple of your toughness. Spend a bennie to soak and reduce wounds by 1 per success and raise. I know there was a bit more too it, but that's all I can recall, and it might have mistakes in it. Also, run out of hit points, unconscious, too many wounds, and no hit points left you're dead.
Ok, that's all I can dredge from the dusty recall sector right now on that subject.

Of course, the GM can change the system, that's what houserules are for after all. But some things will be made to take advantage of the official system, and won't work right when used with a different one.

If you really want to use the old system, find an old copy of Deadlands someplace. Mind you that will definitely not be "Reloaded" or anything that has the Savage Worlds logo.

Sorry for babbling so much on this. Hopefully it was helpful or at least somewhat interesting ;)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases