The new, shiny "Stuff I Have/Would Ban" thread!

Obryn

Hero
I'd say Staff of Ruin falls at least very close to being in the same category. The case with implements is a bit more complex since most casters will want to have other ones at least for specific purposes and using an SoR effectively may well require several feats, so it isn't quite so clear-cut. On top of that at least some casters seem to need a decent way to stack on a bit of extra static damage. I'm not sure though that would be true if the other 4 items were out.
It's close, yeah, but you understand my thinking. Implement users are still kind of hosed compared to weapon users, and I mind less.

-O

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Frankly I think the entire CONCEPT of the orbizard is bad. It simply shouldn't exist or the mechanics need to be entirely different.

The concept is ok.

The implementation is awful because in a D20 system, this is a stat level debuff not on chances to hit or get hit (which is conditional in the first place), but on condition saves (which is a set number, sometimes modified by role of monster).

Total debuffs should rarely go above 3 in those cases.

It's one thing to get a +40% chance to do damage. It's totally another to get a +40% chance to lock down a foe. That's basically worse than 3E save or die.

Ryujin

Legend
It's close, yeah, but you understand my thinking. Implement users are still kind of hosed compared to weapon users, and I mind less.

-O

I realized that fairly early on, which is why I went for weapon-as-implement. I'm still lagging in damage but that's because I'm playing a Feylock and double multi-classed into Bard, more than anything else. Those multi-class feats could have been Weapon Focus and/or Eladrin Soldier, or any of the feats that give conditional hit and damage bonuses.

keterys

First Post
Yeah, a sorcerer dual wielding his weapon focus-ed subtle dagger and off-hand staff of ruin would beg to differ (or insert some other more potent combination)

renau1g

First Post
Our DM bans the Lasting Frost/Winter touch, rod of ruin, but so far not much else (oh wait RRoT). We aren't a real power-gamery group and I try to point out anything overpowered that is brought up here or on the CO boards.

HP Dreadnought

First Post
My 12th level fighter is using a bloodclaw weapon, single handed and its working fine. As others have mentioned, its the two-handed version that causes the problem. I'd say they just need to errata it not to provide the bonus for two-handed use.

Or. . .

Just change it to a x1/x2 bonus. I'd still be happy to use it one-handed. I can replenish my HP a lot more easily than the monsters can, so I will take a 1-1 trade.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I agree, but you're only doing what an Artful Dodger Rogue could do easily. :)

... and then die.

Rogues are pretty squishy. It's not a problem if a rogue makes it to the enemy's back line, because he'll be torn apart, and will have problems getting serious damage into a target because he'll either lack CA, or have to waste powers gaining it.

Now put a defender there instead.

Remove ads